Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know if there are any special problems involved in attaching a JWT POP Charger to a Place Racing CAI? If extra parts needed, where can I get them?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pine said:
does anyone know if there are any special problems involved in attaching a JWT POP Charger to a Place Racing CAI? If extra parts needed, where can I get them?
They do sell an adaptor plate I believe. I'm not 100% positive since it's been a while since I've had any of that stuff open (jeez, maybe I should clean my filter ;) Anyway, I think you can make it work without buying their plate. I have a HS CAI and want to adapt a JWT intake instead of that stupid K&N filter and I'll need to hack the pipe itself and then bolt the POP right up to the frame of the car. It doesn't look too hard but I haven't gotten the motivation to actually do it yet

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AEM bypass valve

My thanks to all who responded:

My next dilemma is, what about putting the AEM air bypass valve in there to protect against water inhalation? The instructions state that it must be upstream of the MAF and on the same axis as the throttle body. Will the PR CAI setup even have a location that meets the criteria? Also, will the bypass valve cost me horsepower?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: AEM bypass valve

pine said:

My next dilemma is, what about putting the AEM air bypass valve in there to protect against water inhalation? The instructions state that it must be upstream of the MAF and on the same axis as the throttle body. Will the PR CAI setup even have a location that meets the criteria? Also, will the bypass valve cost me horsepower?
IMO, the bypass valve is not really worth it. I've gone through *SERIOUS* rain and large puddles and, unless you plan on stopping your car in a puddle deeper than 18" and sit there revving your engine, you'll be ok. Common sense tells you that the engine will create more sucking power (that's a technical term :p ) when you rev higher and it'll suck in water. If you coast or let off the gas through larger puddles, you'll be ok. It's worked for me and I've gone through *SERIOUS* puddles. I even once was accelerating from a light through a large puddle (and didn't know it was there)... I was scared that I ingested water but everything's been fine since then.

·
99 Problems...
331 Posts
Re: AEM bypass valve

pine said:

DON'T GET IT. waste of money
just keep the CAI stock

O

·
Team Serious
2,132 Posts
Re: Re: AEM bypass valve

02 ALMERA said:

IMO, the bypass valve is not really worth it. I've gone through *SERIOUS* rain and large puddles and, unless you plan on stopping your car in a puddle deeper than 18" and sit there revving your engine, you'll be ok. Common sense tells you that the engine will create more sucking power (that's a technical term :p ) when you rev higher and it'll suck in water. If you coast or let off the gas through larger puddles, you'll be ok. It's worked for me and I've gone through *SERIOUS* puddles. I even once was accelerating from a light through a large puddle (and didn't know it was there)... I was scared that I ingested water but everything's been fine since then.

yeah i just got my cai about 2 months ago and yesterday it rained like crazy and i was driving sooooooo slow i was scared that i would be sucking up crazy water.... It was nuts we got like 8" of rain in 2hrs so i went through a deep puddle had no choice there was not turning bac...i was about 5 secs away from throwing the hazards on and leaving my car in the middle lane!!!!
with like 300 cars behind me... but i did go through it and my car seems to be fine... I was just wondering 2 things... 1st are all b14 cai placed in the front bumper behind the fogs...? 2nd Are there any long term effects to sucking water into the engine?

Thanks,
Rob

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Re: Re: AEM bypass valve

selrider99 said:

seems to be fine... I was just wondering 2 things... 1st are all b14 cai placed in the front bumper behind the fogs...? 2nd Are there any long term effects to sucking water into the engine?
1) all CAI's that I'm aware of are behind the foglight inside the splashguard on the driver side for a B14. You could customize it but further forward and away from the engine (heat) is always better... so this location would be optimal

2) There are no long-term effects... but there's one huge short-term one - HYDROLOCK! Your engine would cease to exist instantly! Take a look around the internet and look up hydrolock (that's what it's called when you ingest water) and you'll find that water doesn't combust within the engine. I forget exactly but think it expands and ruins rods or something

·
99 Problems...
331 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: AEM bypass valve

02 ALMERA said:

1) all CAI's that I'm aware of are behind the foglight inside the splashguard on the driver side for a B14. You could customize it but further forward and away from the engine (heat) is always better... so this location would be optimal

2) There are no long-term effects... but there's one huge short-term one - HYDROLOCK! Your engine would cease to exist instantly! Take a look around the internet and look up hydrolock (that's what it's called when you ingest water) and you'll find that water doesn't combust within the engine. I forget exactly but think it expands and ruins rods or something
yep since h2o can't be compressed like air it tends to bend and crack things in the engine.
O

·
HYDYST?
113 Posts
kieran

HS gave me a maf adapter and an extra coupler.
I didn't have to cut mine, the POP fits.
Unless you want to bolt the tube to something, I don't see the advantage of messing with the 'tuned' length.
---------------------------------
I'm glad some of you made it through deep puddles.
I wouldn't go through one deeper than the front lip of the bumper. Rain I don't worry about.

The one time I had to go through really deep water, I took 2 min to separate the lower tube from the maf. Just left it loose til I was out.
----------------------------------------------
Even AEM says their bypass valve isn't for use with their own se-r CAI. There is just no good place to put it. Next to the maf, turbulence. Down in the fender, whats the point if the valve goes under too.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
peter96 said:
HS gave me a maf adapter and an extra coupler.
I didn't have to cut mine, the POP fits.
Unless you want to bolt the tube to something, I don't see the advantage of messing with the 'tuned' length.
I'm not really reducing the length of the pipe... just cutting it at a better angle so the POP will fit snuggling up against the fender well. Personally, I don't think the little I want to cut off will make a huge difference. And if it does, the POP ILO the K&N will make up the difference :)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey 02 Almera, what are the engine specs on your car....reason i'm asking is that i recently did an engine swap and the engine I got was out of the Almera GTi.....I've searched and found bits and pieces of info...so I want something concrete......

thanks for any help u can give :D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SleeperSentra said:
Hey 02 Almera, what are the engine specs on your car....reason i'm asking is that i recently did an engine swap and the engine I got was out of the Almera GTi.....I've searched and found bits and pieces of info...so I want something concrete......

thanks for any help u can give :D
The Almera... I have to get that info when I get home. I don't own one... yet. I don't want to buy one (plus, I need to save some more money!) until I get European citizenship. I should have that application done soon. But the top engine in the Almera is a 1.8 petrol engine I believe. I have the brochure at home and will reply when I get home. What year Almera GTi engine did you get? Because the Almera was redesigned this year. Older Almeras are similar to the US B14 with the SR20 engine except I don't the European Almera had the SR20. I'll snoop around tonight and try to get you some more info. The site I seem to remember (but it doesn't seem to work right now) is:

http://www.nissan-almera.com

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SleeperSentra said:
I have attached the page that I got some info from.....it is an identical match to my engine......

http://www.geocities.com/gkurka2001/

Let me know if you get any further info
That is the SR20!! That's what I have in my current car here in the states. Like I said, the older (1997 is what the page you linked was) cars are similar to our B14 body style and the B14 here had the SR20 so I'm sure it was available elsewhere with an SR20 (and apparently, according to that page) it is. In Ireland, however, it doesn't appear that the Almera was available with an SR20. The car I'm going to buy, however, is a 2002 and the body style has changed and it's only offered with a 1.8 Eyeballing the 02 Almera engine bay, I think an SR20DE (or even VE) would fit. That's what I eventually want to do.

But if you're ultimately looking for more info on the SR20DE, there are plenty of sites out there. www.se-r.net www.sr20deforum.com and this site... there are plenty of sites and links and forums. If you need help finding more info on the SR20, let me know. If it's engines specific to the 02 Irish Almera you're interested in, I'll get that to you tonight when I get home

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Re: AEM bypass valve

02 ALMERA said:

unless you plan on stopping your car in a puddle deeper than 18" and sit there revving your engine, you'll be ok.
I just *TRIED* to hydrolock the engine this morning in deep puddles and couldn't do it! I started off in a fairly deep puddle (maybe 12" or so) and spun the tires all the way up to redline and got a nice wake and tons of water splashing but the engine's still running ;( I personally don't want this car anymore and hyrdrolock would be a blessing in disguise

·
100NX2000
346 Posts
Re: Re: Re: AEM bypass valve

02 ALMERA said:

I just *TRIED* to hydrolock the engine this morning in deep puddles and couldn't do it! I started off in a fairly deep puddle (maybe 12" or so) and spun the tires all the way up to redline and got a nice wake and tons of water splashing but the engine's still running ;( I personally don't want this car anymore and hyrdrolock would be a blessing in disguise
Kieran, as I said on the Northeast mailing list it is just a matter of tuning and who you carry it to. Try PMMing Andreas Miko to see if he can help ya!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts