Nissan Forum banner

Pinging?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  lighthouse 
#1 ·
Since several months back, I've noticed that my B14 (A) GA16DE periodically emits a strange, faint, high-pitched, consistent "Eeee" sound during certain RPMs upon acceleration.

I don't believe it comes from the engine, but I'm not too certain. The sound also doesn't get pronounced upon revving harder...

I'm wondering if it could be pinging. How does pinging actually sound like?? If not, any idea what it could be?

#3 ·
Plugs look just fine...I think the sound comes from the Tranny....

I've checked some other forums, and it seems that the high-pitched, whining sound is quite common with Nissan Auto gearboxes??

However, I did notice a light ticking sound that seems to come from the engine-bay. Could that be pinging?? Still, my pickup doesn't seem affected, and actually feels better...;P

#4 ·
That ticking sound is the injectors clicking, its normal. Pinging is a sound when you are climbing up a hill and the gear is high and the engine is out of power and needs to switch to a shorter gear, the pinging wil be heard if the motor is straining and you will hear a tingling tingling sound like a tapping, hit the gas and the tranny swtches gears to a lower one and the noise stops. I here this with most american cars like Pontiacs and such. I here it with the old 89 grand ams. Use 92+ octane for a few weeks and see if the noise stops. It may be low octane if its pinging. Run the high test for a while.
Chris 92 classic

#5 ·
lighthouse said:
Since several months back, I've noticed that my B14 (A) GA16DE periodically emits a strange, faint, high-pitched, consistent "Eeee" sound during certain RPMs upon acceleration.

I don't believe it comes from the engine, but I'm not too certain. The sound also doesn't get pronounced upon revving harder...

I'm wondering if it could be pinging. How does pinging actually sound like?? If not, any idea what it could be?
Same thing happened to me some time ago... have you noticed if that EeeeEEe sound :) happens when you turn right or left a little fast and when you go it keeps going but stops completely when the car stops? then if you continue it doesn't sounds anymore?
Mine sounded like this but it was more like a constant metal sound, suddenly it stoped making noise and it's been about 3 months now since it's quiet... never knewed what it was... (twilight zone music starts...) :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.