Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My B12 (1990) has started pinging under all but the lightest acceleration. What could be some of the causes for this? Would a routine tune-up help? I bought the car with 95k miles and it had reciepts for a tuneup right at 95k. It now has 107k. Thats not a very long interval for tuneups and that led me to think there could something else wrong.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
539 Posts
My 90b12 pings too unless I use premium fuel. During the winter I can't really detect any pinging. My car has 142000 miles on it and has had everything but the 02 sensor replaced and a I plan on replacing the plugs in a few weeks. I did notice in the manual nissan states that pinging under acceleration or driving up a hill is good for fuel economy since the best gas mileage is gained while the plugs are the hottest. I don't know how true that is since everyone says pinging will kill your cylinders. I just use premium fuel and don't have to think about it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that does sound odd because normally extended periods of pinging over weeks/months/years can lead to burning holes in the tops of your pistons.

I'll keep that in mind, though.

Thanks.

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
Maybe your timing is off??

·
Registered
539 Posts
Does the timing ever change over time by itself? If not, then it has never been changed. I don't feel like taking it to nissan for a diagnostic test cause they want like $70, and probably double that to fix what might be wrong.

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
Your car has a timing chain so it would not slip, but it could stretch a bit. Has it ever been replaced??? If not get it done for cheap insurance, and they will set the timing for you at the same time.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Actually my timing chain was replaced end of 2000. I guess the chain guard had broke so all summer long while I was driving the chain was tearing through my engine. I always heard a sound but people just told me it was either my fan belts which were bad or an engine panel rattling. Well one day I came out and my car had all it's oil underneath it oopps. It cost like $1200 for it to get fixed. The car pinged before and still does so I doubt it's a result of the timing being off, but who knows cause cars aren't really my experties.

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
Haynes also says that the EGR could be faulty. I'm really just pulling at straws here, cuz I really don't know how to solve the problem. :(

·
Registered
539 Posts
Yeah, I've read that. Would using premium fuel take care of that problem? I also seem to get better gas mileage using premium. I get around 40-44 if I drive my car like a baby and 32-34 if I drive normally which seems pretty good for a 90 sentra. I could always just suck it up and take it in but I'd rather not waste any money on this car since I'll be grad. from college in a year and I hope I can find a nice 94 se-r to purchase ...:D

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
You get MUCH better mileage then I do. I guess I should drive a little more gently

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have gotten 40mpg once before,but I just recently started using texaco gas instead of Gibbs and Mobile. I dunno how this happened, but I drove 170miles and only filled up with 3.5gal equating to 48mpg, that seems realllly high, even though some people have said they have gotten about that with their sentras on high way driving. I don't use AC either so that helps. I used to get about 25mpg when I first got the car but after several bottles of fuel cleaner and mantainance the gas mileage greatly improved.

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
I think I should try some of that fuel cleaner. They are also starting emissions testing here and I'm afraid.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts