Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Pathfinder 3.5 auto, when warmed up, is pinging severly under moderate acceleration. At first I thought it might be poor gas, but have now run several tanks of premiun from different stations, still pings.
It doesn't show any codes.
I'm concerned that this will damage the engine, in time. Any thoughts??
Cheers

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hydraulic lifters require good oil pressure or you could get pinging. How fresh is your oil? You may want to try some engine flush the next time you change your oil to clean your lifters.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try the engine flush. Oil has always been changed faithfully every 3000-3500 miles. She has about 142,000 miles now, and not exhibiting any lifter noise. Any suggestions for a flush product?
Are there any ignition module or computer issues with this model that have been known to cause pinging problems?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Oh, like an ignition ping, not a valve rattle. I believe these models had problems with coil failures. May be something to check.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, definitely a pre-ignition, or detonation issue. Just like the old cars when you had too much timing advance.
It doesn't give any codes, so how would one determine which ignition coil might be the problem. This V-6 has 6 separate ignition coils, and quite costly to replace all 6, if only one is bad. Trial and error?

·
Registered
130 Posts
2001 Pathfinder 3.5 auto, when warmed up, is pinging severly under moderate acceleration. At first I thought it might be poor gas, but have now run several tanks of premiun from different stations, still pings.
It doesn't show any codes.
I'm concerned that this will damage the engine, in time. Any thoughts??
Cheers
heres some food for thought, i always used super in my pathy for the longest time until the gas prices got out of hand, then i switched to regular and got the pinging you are talking about. i couldnt get rid of the pinging when i switched back to super either. well anyways at the same time i had my checking engine light on for a bad maf sensor and once i replaced that the truck wouldnt ping anymore with regular gas. after the new maf the truck never pinged again for the few months of driving i did with it before i traded it in last week.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting.... I'll certainly have the maf sensor checked out. I have no check engine light lighted, and no codes, but that doesn't necessarily mean much. I'm wondering what the science is behind the maf that would cause it to ping??
Thanks for the tip!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts