Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, here's the thing: (Using the sticky I found here:)) I changed the struts/shocks (Gr-2s) and installed Eibach pro-kits:crazy:. And now this freakin noise, sounds like "Piiing" occurs when I turn the wheel left or right(happens only when I turn the wheel like 360*, right/left) and it's only a single "Piiing" when I turn. When I turn right, "Piiing" and the steering wheel stays at like 15*-20* to the right, until I correct it, same happens when I turn left. So fellas, what is it??? Is it spring settling down, or I just need an alignment. Any info will be appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nismo-o, Based on my research and own personal experience with the GR-2s, they are a very good replacement if you are using stock springs but horrible if you use ANY aftermarket spring as they have a tendency to bottom out A LOT and actually wear out the shocks faster. Also the noise you describe sounds like a possible bad bearing in the mounting plate, did you happen to replace that when you changed the shocks?

If you haven't been there yet, check the tech library over at sr20forum.com. There is literally PAGES worth of info on the suspension setup of this car and should give you a better idea of what you are looking at.

As far as the steering wheel issue, I'd say if you lowered the car and didn't get an alignment down a) that could cause that problem and b) you will wear out your tires MUCH faster. Plus, whatever you were hoping to accomplish by lowering the car, you are missing out on because it handles completely different with the correct alignment. :)

Hope this was helpful!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nismo-o, Based on my research and own personal experience with the GR-2s, they are a very good replacement if you are using stock springs but horrible if you use ANY aftermarket spring as they have a tendency to bottom out A LOT and actually wear out the shocks faster. Also the noise you describe sounds like a possible bad bearing in the mounting plate, did you happen to replace that when you changed the shocks?

If you haven't been there yet, check the tech library over at sr20forum.com. There is literally PAGES worth of info on the suspension setup of this car and should give you a better idea of what you are looking at.

As far as the steering wheel issue, I'd say if you lowered the car and didn't get an alignment down a) that could cause that problem and b) you will wear out your tires MUCH faster. Plus, whatever you were hoping to accomplish by lowering the car, you are missing out on because it handles completely different with the correct alignment. :)

Hope this was helpful!
`

My front/left and both rears were shut:jawdrop:, so yeah I got those gr-2s(couldn't afford AGX):rolleyes:. And my springs, oh god, where do I start, they were total crap, rusted(I live in salt state=Illinois), lil bent, total garbage. I got those pro-kits from a guy I found here and got a pretty good deal on them. I know that Gr-2s and and any lowering springs isn't the greatest set up but it has to do it for now. i left everything stock, mounting plate, camber plates, etc.. Yeah I'm gonna get that alignment tomorrow:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd say before you get the alignment done, I'd check the mounting plates. I'm 100% sure but my previous car had a bearing in that mounting plating and they did go bad. If this is the case on these cars and your springs rusted, I'd say those things are probably bad.

Now that I think about it, it could possibly be the bearing assembly itself. Start with the cheapest/easiest thing to replace and go from there IMO.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem fixed!!!!!

I'd say before you get the alignment done, I'd check the mounting plates. I'm 100% sure but my previous car had a bearing in that mounting plating and they did go bad. If this is the case on these cars and your springs rusted, I'd say those things are probably bad.

Now that I think about it, it could possibly be the bearing assembly itself. Start with the cheapest/easiest thing to replace and go from there IMO.
Yea it was that bearing in the mounting plate, while installing it yesterday I put that white thingy(bearing??) on the other side :loser: so there was metal to metal friction that was causing that "piiing" sound. It was an easy fix, took me like 45 min. lol (almost got a ticket :p, cause you can't do it in the alley :fluffy: lol) thanks a lot for your help m8.:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
No Problem at all my friend! Good thing you didn't get that ticket because that would have come out of your alignment money ;) Since you got that problem fixed, go get that thing aligned and tell us how it rides! :woowoo:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No Problem at all my friend! Good thing you didn't get that ticket because that would have come out of your alignment money ;) Since you got that problem fixed, go get that thing aligned and tell us how it rides! :woowoo:
It definitely needs that alignment:), I'll post pics tomorrow:cheers:

·
200SX SE-R
241 Posts
"And my springs, oh god, where do I start, they were total crap, rusted(I live in salt state=Illinois), lil bent, total garbage."

Amen to that, I got my car from Chicago too... the rust is unbelievable!! I replaced my struts and shocks too when I got it because they were totally shot. I did KYB AGX and Eibach Sportlines... Good luck with it man!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts