Nissan Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Moved on...Ciao!
629 Posts
Hell, they don't look any different from non-turboed pistons! What makes the difference is the rod: The non-turbo E15 rod is longer than the E16 rod to compensate for the shorter crank (Bore is identical), so I imagine that using an E15 crank in an E16 setup (With E16 rods) will turbofy the engine?

Oh, and the head; Don't forget the head...Yeah, that's it!

Am I close?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Crazy-Mart :)

I think that my pistons aren't stock, they look like this:

The flat part of the piston is wider in my pistons and they are also deeper, anyone know what pistons these are :confused:

recycled_toddler: E15ET pistons aren't the same as E15 pistons, the E15 pistons look like this (notice the "holes" for the valves):

·
t3h r0XX0r!!
679 Posts
recycled_toddler said:
Hell, they don't look any different from non-turboed pistons! What makes the difference is the rod: The non-turbo E15 rod is longer than the E16 rod to compensate for the shorter crank (Bore is identical), so I imagine that using an E15 crank in an E16 setup (With E16 rods) will turbofy the engine?

Oh, and the head; Don't forget the head...Yeah, that's it!

Am I close?
you'll end up with LESS compression if you use n/a E16 pistons. the E15 pistons have a taller compression height... the E15T pistons also have a thicker head and top ring land to deal with the additional heat of turbofying.

http://www.nissanforums.com/showthread.php?t=35907

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
I think you got the E16 piston... if its really larger than the other E15 one ... Btw those E15 piston with valve reliefs look really close to the nismo piston ... maybe Lazarus can confirm this ... to use the E16 crank into an E15et you must retain the OE rod (E16/E15et) and shave about 2 mm of the top crown of the piston (e15et one) (it will work very good without any valve interference) ...

NissanNinja : you can get a few infos of my buildup at my page under the turbo project at the bottom of the page ... currently its not been updated yet but by the next summer it should ...

·
GA16DE
606 Posts
Nice pics crazy mart!
What is that thing left and under the oil filter?
Where do you take the oil line for the turbo from?
Where does it return to the crankcase?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Crazy-Mart said:
I think you got the E16 piston... if its really larger than the other E15 one ... Btw those E15 piston with valve reliefs look really close to the nismo piston ...
They are not E16 pistons, I've seen how they look. They are even deeper than E16 (and E15) pistons :rolleyes:

And I think that those E15 pistons aren't nismo pistons, I have a picture that shows how normal E15 piston looks, and those look just like it

Edit: forgot to mention... my block is bored 0,04 inches oversize...

·
t3h r0XX0r!!
679 Posts
the nismo E16 pistons i have look nearly identical to the pistons in my E15s. however, i haven't checked them out fully yet. the nismo E16 and E15s pistons have a large inner diameter crown with a shallow dish and two small valve reliefs (as shown in the photo above). the E16 pistons have a small inner diameter crown with a deeper dish, and, IIRC, no valve reliefs due to the taller combustion chamber on the E16 (not positive on the valve relief thing, it's been years since i looked at one...). E15T pistons have a large inner diameter crown, SIMILAR BUT NOT IDENTICAL to the nismo E16 and E15s pistons. the E15T has a *1mm* higher compression height, and a deeper dish and NO VALVE RELIEFS. as i stated before, they're a little heavier to deal with excess heat.

so... you *could,* if you wanted to put turbo pistons in a N/A E15/E16. BUT you would have to REMOVE 1mm from the top of the crown (making the top ring land WEAK) and ADD VALVE RELIEFS. too much effort, in my opinion.

you also *could* put N/A pistons in an E15T. BUT you would lower the compression ratio a bit (i'm not doing the math, it's not worth the effort), and you would have WEAKER pistons.

TEE KOO, have you identified your pistons yet? the top of the crown may be larger simply because you have over-sized pistons (.040 over is pretty big...). is your engine from something OTHER than a north american pulsar? that may also explain it...

·
t3h r0XX0r!!
679 Posts
ah. i see. that would probably explain the difference (along with the over-bore.) are the pistons from nissan or some other company? (i think Mahle mad the pistons for nissan. can't remember for sure, though)

just curious, but why are you concerned with the pistons?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.