Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Certified Ghetto Mechanic
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I buy and disassemble an NX1600 transmission for this. 3 bills plus my time. I find a guy overseas with a 905-GOLD Phantom Grip unit that isn't used too much and get it shipped here. 2 bills plus.

I have the tranny torn apart on my workbench, and am test-fitting the PG unit. I called PG and sent them my pic and video but for some reason they have not answered me and I am sick of sitting here with this stuff all over the place...so I hope somebody can give me some opinions. And yes, I know I have to take the pins out at the end lol so the springs will make friction.

Inside my diff looks like this (do the side gears need machining to smooth off casting imperfections you can see? What about the spider gears, they have a raised lip) :

And the amount of play I have looks like this (click for vid):

Video of fittt - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Now, clearance between the PG friction areas and the side gears is within their specs as it is. I am concerned though that the unit can move side-to-side quite a lot, there is a lot of play between the unit and the spider gears.

What gives? Part number, check. Transmission, check. Will it still work?

D

·
Certified Ghetto Mechanic
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PG wrote back, they said the part number is correct and the clearance listed on the website is the one to use - the instructions in the box it said.003-.005 with clips on, on the website it says .005-.010.

OK so I am going to take the gears out and machine the casting imperfections off of the side gears. I THINK I should leave the smaller spider gears' raised edge alone, since it looks like it adds support to the gear-pinion interface, but, since nobody including the manufacturer, seems willing to tell me lol

After the side gears' interfaces are smoothed, I will reassemble the diff and measure clearance again for the PG unit, but also as per the FSM instructions (clearance between side gear and diff housing or whatever). If needed I can select washers of different thickness to adjust the clearance, if necessary. But I hope not hehhe

D

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
I don't think there should be any casting imperfections on the gears, they should be forged and or machined. I have never seen any on the non Nissan units i have taken apart.
Are you sure that is what you are seeing ?
the clearance on the spider gears should be per FSM, if they are too lose they can jump under load. ( or jamb...happened to me, then a huge bang)
don't know about your free play, difficult to see how the PG unit works from the video.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts