Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks. I have a 2004 Sentra I'm having some trouble with. I had been experiencing persistent problems with my battery draining if the car sits for anything more than a about 4 days. This happened about 4 times over a period of 3 months last year before I finally replaced the battery. In case you are wondering... I'm currently attending college and live on campus so I usually only drive the car once a week or so.

This fixed the problem for about a month and a half. Now I'm having the same problem again. Went to run to the store and the battery was completly dead. Not even enough power to unlock the doors electronically.

I double checked... No open doors, lights were not left on. I'm really out of ideas, does anyone have some suggestions for where to start?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hey Folks. I have a 2004 Sentra I'm having some trouble with. I had been experiencing persistent problems with my battery draining if the car sits for anything more than a about 4 days. This happened about 4 times over a period of 3 months last year before I finally replaced the battery. In case you are wondering... I'm currently attending college and live on campus so I usually only drive the car once a week or so.

This fixed the problem for about a month and a half. Now I'm having the same problem again. Went to run to the store and the battery was completly dead. Not even enough power to unlock the doors electronically.

I double checked... No open doors, lights were not left on. I'm really out of ideas, does anyone have some suggestions for where to start?
Two things I know of can cause this... Your alternator could be bad, Or your battery is grounding out on something. You can go to your local auto parts store like advance or autozone and they can test your alternator for free. If your alternator's good try to find out where your battery's grounding out at.:balls:

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,244 Posts
I agree it cold be the alternator but it could also be anything left connected to the battery when the car is Off.
I had a problem like this but only when the car was parked when hot, the Alternator diodes were bad and leaking down.
so how to fix this ?
buy a cheap meter, digital and i mean cheap $3 to $10 is fine.
Download the Factory Service manual, FSM
figure out all the circuits that are still powered when the car is off.
Measure the current draw on each circuit at the fuse box.
For the alternator you can measure it but its harder to do. And its expensive just to replace it for no reason.

·
Registered
178 Posts
dunno, I'd still say either the alternator or a short circuit

1 - 5 of 5 Posts