Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know where i can buy a nice sounding exhaust system i want power and sound rite now im running just headers so when i come to a light people are always trying to race :D
haha

·
Registered
293 Posts
Lol, I scared a Dodge Viper with my old Chevy like that once...

I'd go to a muffler shop and have them slip different high perf mufflers onto the tail pipe until you find a sound you like.

·
Registered
61 Posts
There are lots of small biz shops that will do exhaust work. Use the phonebook or do some searching on line. I just increased my catback to 2 inches and had them put on a magnaflow for less than 300 bucks. The car growls now and has a nice tone when you accelerate and does not sound rice at all. I love it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
mine growles when i flip over the carb lol... plus the exhaust leaks help!!!! so it sounds like i got a 1st gen muscle car... anyways lol...

the sound of your exhaust depends on a number of things... the engine, how the engine is modded, the size of the exhaust, and the muffler... also, your filtering has a small effect to the exhaust tho most of the suond from the filter remains in the engine bay area... Cat converters, or no cat converters, can also have an effect on sound and performance...

depending on your engine... but lets say its stock, and you own a B12... I would keep everything stock besides maybe the muffler... your pipe should be about 1.75... (mine is)... I met another guy with a pulsar... (pretty much the same thing) who upgraded his pipe to 2.5... his e16 engine lacks the power to handle that... so now his engine runs... well weaker and sounds, weaker... I wouldn't go 2.5 until you reach say, about 160-170 hp plus... and I wouldn't go after the highly upgraded 3.5 until your pulling about 390-400 HP...

So here it is... Stock pipeing 1.75... you could try to get less bends, and maybe a new pipe, heat wrap works great for performance... it keeps the heat in, and in return the heat keeps the air pushing... sort of like a slushi... you freeze it... it can move thru the straw but not easy, but you let it warm up, and it will go thru no problem...

Now... depending on your year model, and your local laws and your environmental belifs... you can either gut out the cat, or pay the extra money to get a performance cat... I personally don't enjoy the smell of a cat gutted car... but if you plan to ever race it at the track, or so on... I don't see much problem... the cat burns more fuel, plus restricts your air flow even more... also dampening the sound some, or giving it a wheezey ricer sound...

so 1.75 stock pipe, gutted cat, or performance cat.

Now the muffler... the more ricer it looks, the more ricer it sounds... fart cannons are made for one purpose and one purpose only... to make honda kids feel like race car drivers... tho they do have some performance factors as any non blow back exhaust does, they normaly just sound crappy, and please, you drive a nissan right? give your nissan class! we have a lot on our name... I personaly chose a duel tip muffler with for 2.5 pipe. it sounds cleaner, more throaty, and even tho its cheap, the quality of it is supurb... Ebay exhaust tend to be cheaply built ones from china... I got mine from ebay for 9 dollars... but you have to be careful... many of them are pure crap on ebay... just read reviews, what cars the buyers own, (hondas or common ricer cars more likely enjoy ricey sounds lol)... next thing you do make your own judgement... either way you pay maybe a total of 15 dollars.. and if your city is anything like my city... and you have weekend meets with other car clubs that rise about 200-300 members... you can eaisly resale it for a profit... or even trade it...

anyways good luck

-Fix

P.S. sorry for my horrible grammer

·
Registered
196 Posts
On my last Nissan ('90 B12), I bought all the stuff I wanted online and then took it to a local shop and they guy charged me $100 for the pipe and install. I took him a Magnaflow 2.25" universal hi-flow cat, 18" resonator, and a dual tip Magnaflow stainless muffler and then he bent up 2.25" pipe to connect everything and welded everything up. It sounded good and was fairly deep, not obnoxious.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts