Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Paging Mr. Herman
Joined
·
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the B14 section but I wanted everyone's input. Thanks.....

I was waiting for my girlfriend in the bookstore and decided to take a quick browse through the lastest edition of Super Street and noticed something I wanted to ask everyone. They were reviewing a new product that replaces all the engine electrical wiring to produce less resistance and more available electrical energy. Anyhow, they dynoed the product on a couple of cars and produced rather substantial results. On a new Maxima, they got around a 10+ hp gain through certain RPM ranges on the wiring alone. Other cars were not so dramatic (an S2000 only had about a 2 hp gain) but I believe the average was around 5 hp through the entire RRM spectrum. Additionally, the wiring was only about $100. Unfortunately, I could only skim through the article but I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of (or had experience w/) such a thing? Sorry such vague info. but any help would be nice. 5-15 hp for $100 certainly doesn't sound bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Im not sure, but it sounds similar to the Subaru grounding mod. Seems to have gone more unviersal now. I haven't seen the ad, im guessing thats what it is. Gives you a nice power gain and is fairly inexpensive as well. That's all I know. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
200'side said:
Im not sure, but it sounds similar to the Subaru grounding mod. Seems to have gone more unviersal now. I haven't seen the ad, im guessing thats what it is. Gives you a nice power gain and is fairly inexpensive as well. That's all I know. :rolleyes:
yeah... its just an upgraded ground package. I would assume it would work a little. Its taking any static off of your wires and thus allows a clean spark.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
wow, this is EXACTLY like my post i put up last night in this same section that nobody has responded to. :rolleyes:
 

·
Flux Capacitor is the key
Joined
·
573 Posts
Performance Wiring

Hmmmmmmmmm...Ok so you want to gain a couple of HP from the electronics system huh.

Turn on your Air Conditioner while the car is on...notice what happens to the engine. Turn on all your lights, your speakers and so forth. More current will be diverted to each of these systems...meaning your car engine will actually be losing HP!!! And your car will consume more gas.!!!!

O.K. now what super street says is actually true. If you put in more longer thinner wires, then the Resistance of the wiring in your car will increase!!! Meaning the current travelling in the wires will be less and power used up by electrical systems will be less!!!!!!!! Meaning more power will be diverted to the engine rather than the electrical systems

The only downfall of this might occur if you have speakers and a good sound system....Remember you increase the resistance you get lower power! So all your electrical components in the car might not work at maximum efficiency. So your speakers might sound worse...I am not too sure about this but check on it before you put in these new wires.!!

You know...this reminds me of something. Stupid Vin Diesel in Fast and Furious always wanted a 10 second car. Taking off that gigantic speaker system, saving him the weight and electricity might have added at least a good 8hp to his car!!! That dumb ass! What kind of street racer is he??!! J/k!
 

·
NF's Offical Post Whore
Joined
·
1,972 Posts
I may be wrong but I think that a stereo system runs off of your battery not your Engine. Actually I'm 99 percent sure it does so I dont think you'll lose any horsepower in that department.
 

·
Flux Capacitor is the key
Joined
·
573 Posts
True True...the speakers do run from your batteries...but remember your alternator is recharging the batteries in your car. So that means there is a link between the alternator and your car battery...You might lose like .1hp ifyour stereo gets turned on...Not totally sure about that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Re: Performance Wiring

UNISH25 said:
Hmmmmmmmmm...Ok so you want to gain a couple of HP from the electronics system huh.


O.K. now what super street says is actually true. If you put in more longer thinner wires, then the Resistance of the wiring in your car will increase!!! Meaning the current travelling in the wires will be less and power used up by electrical systems will be less!!!!!!!! Meaning more power will be diverted to the engine rather than the electrical systems


I'm not so sure on this. Putting in thinner wires than stock and longer? You would start losing power, you ever run a high amp item off of a 22 gauge wire? The wire heats up much like a heating element, you won't divert the energy back to the engine, you'll possibly melt your wire and then when it grounds your screwed. Larger wires will help, less resistance = better flow= your car won't bog down.

When AC kicks on the reason your engine boggs down is from the pump kicking in which is run off of the crank pulley.

Hope this helps
Josh
 

·
Flux Capacitor is the key
Joined
·
573 Posts
Josh you are totally right about that...!!!I even said in my previous post that I agreed to that. In reality the equation for Power goes like this...

O.K So why increase the Resistance???
Power=V^2/Resistance
By increasing the resistance in car wiring we decrease the current flow to the electrical system inside the car. Therefore decreasing power flow to a system!!! Proven by the equation...More power can be diverted to more important systems or less power can be consumed up. Remember POWER is POWER no matter what its measured in. Electrical Power gets converted into Mechanical at the alternator. If you want a All GO Vehicle then why waste electrical energy on something like a Stereo and Amp.

Now the Amp...
***In order for the Maximum Transfer or Power from Circuit A to Circuit B The output Resistance of A must match the input resistance of B!!! The output resistance of the amplifier, must be equal to the input resistance of the Speakers in order for the signal to be great! The Amp usually runs off an 8ohm output resistance. So do the speakers....The 10 guage or better wire you put in them is used to match that resistance as great as possible!. Thicker & shorter wires have less Resistance!!. 22 Gauge wire is thinner and has more resistance. And if you guys don't know 8 guage is a pretty thick wire. Some of the power lost in the 22 guage wire is dissipated as heat...Therefore you wouldn't be getting maximum power to the Amps that it requires!.

Here are some stupid facts about car Resistance...I grabbed from a website...about electrical resistance in wires.

* An atom consists of a nucleus and orbiting electrons. These electrons can create a flow of current, so the more free electrons there are, the more conducting capability that material has; thus copper is more conductive that iron.

* Wires with wider diameter have more free electrons because the cross-section surface area is larger in proportion to the length, so the wider the wires are, the less reactive they would be. Resistance is proportional to the cross-section are of the wire given that the length and the material should be the same.

* Longer wires will cause an increase in resistance because the electrons have to travel past more atoms and collisions between the electrons and the atoms are more likely then in shorter wires. Resistance should also be proportional to the length of the wires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
The wiring that you are speaking of has been correctly identified as grounding wires...they are available from both Arospeed and from SunAuto (Hyperground System)...the SunAuto setup goes for about $100-$150...i also know that the Sun Auto system has an application for the Maxima with gains of 6 whp (Import Tuner Dec. 2002) and also for most 4 and 6 cylinder...any questions, visit the website www.sunautomobile.com

Any word on the Arospeed applications other than the price (like whether there are any applications for Nissans :) )would be much appreciated....going the all-motor setup has me looking at everything in my engine bay...including these...thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
the Arospeed one is universal...............i know fo someone with it on a first gen altima............
me personally am gonna go with the one from sunauto............
 

·
Lifes a garden, Dig it!
Joined
·
321 Posts
What all does this kit attach to? The head, & what? Theoreticly, couldn't you just make your own from some quality 4 guage car audio wire if you knew all the places it attached to? I went to the site, looked at the cut-away diagram. I didnt' really see any shielding, I seen two layers of steel mesh, one of which they call "shield mesh", last time I checked, shielding was more than just a layer of steel braiding with a rubber coating. I think you can make this kit yourself for about $50 if you knew all the points of attachment for you vehicle's kit. Can someone confirm if I'm on to something here?
 

·
Flux Capacitor is the key
Joined
·
573 Posts
First off...impedance is the same as resistance!! Impedance is just another way of saying resistance. So...lets see...
Heres what the add says...

This system provides direct ground path from battery negative to
body, chassis, and engine components to give extreme improvement on electrical circulation. (Basically what they mean is...it has low resistance)

In addition "Hyper Ground System" cables have 10 times less
impedance than factory ground systems which provides immaculate conduction to prevent electrical power loss. (It has low resistance!)

The higher resistance of factory grounds, effect the ignition system and obstructs the primary potential. The "Hyper Ground System" uses thick gauge 99.99% pure copper, and connects directly from the cylinder head and other points under the hood to the battery, to provide an ultra low resistance connection. (IT HAS LOW RESISTANCE)!!

This will increase the primary potential of regular cars to ignition tuned vehicles. (Lower resistance = More Current!!!!)

Second off...see that cheasy black graph they give you? The voltage on the right graph is below the x-axis. Meaning the voltage is negative?????!!!! Ummmm...excuse me! What the hell are they thinking???? Negative Voltage? The current would flow up from ground and tooo the negative voltage!!!!! Wow!!! I thought their current would rather go to the ground...not come up from it!!!

O.K...So we have the fact that the it's low resistance...so whats the downfall? Power = Voltage^2/(resistance)
Lower resistance will give you more power!!! Basically...like I said before...more power is being diverted to your engine...less to your stereo. Your batteries will drain slightly faster.

More power...in electrical system is converted to hp?? How is that posible? Let's see...What is the only thing in your car...that uses electricity near the pistons? THE SPARK PLUGS!!! O.k...The voltage on the spark plug can range anywhere from 40000 Volts to 100000 Volts. In laymens terms...the bigger the Voltage the bigger the Spark. Basically....if you change the distributor wiring...wiring from your ignition coils and the alternator wiring...then in fact you actually might gain some hp!!!! Not to mention change up the ignition coils itself!! So this add I would have to say is somewhat true...!!

If you don't believe me
Lets do the math...Assume a car with 400 cold crank Amps...Stock copper wires have usually 10ohms(18Guage) Resistance(not including extreme temperature, Resistance is actually increased with rising temperature!!!) And a 50,000 Volt ignition coil voltage!

Voltage At Spark Plugs = 50,000 - (10)(400) = 50,000- 4,000 = 46,000Volts

Lets see...Lower the Resistance even more...99.99% pure copper resistance should be...1ohm(just guessing)
Voltage At Spark Plugs = 50,000 - (1)(400) = 50000 - 400 =
49600 Volts!!! More Voltage with less Resistance! = Bigger Spark!!

49600Volts - 46000Volts...is about a 3600 Voltage Difference!

So whats the downfall??? Check this chart out...
The resistance of copper depending on the thickness(AWG)
Higher AWG means lower thickness by the way!!!!!!
These guys are obviously trying to rip you off with 99.99% wire. All you have to do is get thicker wires for less resistance!!!
But come on...who in Gods name would put 4 Guage wires(really thick wires)...in their engine bays????!!!! This might actually be a good deal for performance wiring!!!

http://www.paigewire.com/copperAWG.htm


SORRY FOR THE BOOK! BUT I HAVE TO GIVE YOU THE FACTS...FIRST OK!
 

·
Paging Mr. Herman
Joined
·
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok....for all the skeptics out there, I have read about these wires in 3 well known car mod. magizines. Import Tuner, Super Street, and Sport Compact all reported gains w/ the wires alone. The average seems to be about 5 hp but gains up to 15 hp have been reported. Regardless of how they work, there seems to be some validity to it. I'm really becoming interested, perhaps I'll give it a try.
 

·
Flux Capacitor is the key
Joined
·
573 Posts
Like I said...try it!!! It looks cool, and might actually give you 5hp gain. Umm...I don't think that reported 15 might be right though! Hmm...It all depends on your current spark plugs and how good they ignite the fuel to air ratio!! If you do get them...make sure they do not go past the voltage threshold of the sparkplugs! Or your sparkplugs just might blow up due to heat!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
The wires don't replace your factory ground wires, they piggyback on top of them.

And all the dyno results show some gains.

UNISH25 said:
Josh you are totally right about that...!!!I even said in my previous post that I agreed to that. In reality the equation for Power goes like this...

O.K So why increase the Resistance???
Power=V^2/Resistance
By increasing the resistance in car wiring we decrease the current flow to the electrical system inside the car. Therefore decreasing power flow to a system!!! Proven by the equation...More power can be diverted to more important systems or less power can be consumed up. Remember POWER is POWER no matter what its measured in. Electrical Power gets converted into Mechanical at the alternator. If you want a All GO Vehicle then why waste electrical energy on something like a Stereo and Amp.

Now the Amp...
***In order for the Maximum Transfer or Power from Circuit A to Circuit B The output Resistance of A must match the input resistance of B!!! The output resistance of the amplifier, must be equal to the input resistance of the Speakers in order for the signal to be great! The Amp usually runs off an 8ohm output resistance. So do the speakers....The 10 guage or better wire you put in them is used to match that resistance as great as possible!. Thicker & shorter wires have less Resistance!!. 22 Gauge wire is thinner and has more resistance. And if you guys don't know 8 guage is a pretty thick wire. Some of the power lost in the 22 guage wire is dissipated as heat...Therefore you wouldn't be getting maximum power to the Amps that it requires!.

Here are some stupid facts about car Resistance...I grabbed from a website...about electrical resistance in wires.

* An atom consists of a nucleus and orbiting electrons. These electrons can create a flow of current, so the more free electrons there are, the more conducting capability that material has; thus copper is more conductive that iron.

* Wires with wider diameter have more free electrons because the cross-section surface area is larger in proportion to the length, so the wider the wires are, the less reactive they would be. Resistance is proportional to the cross-section are of the wire given that the length and the material should be the same.

* Longer wires will cause an increase in resistance because the electrons have to travel past more atoms and collisions between the electrons and the atoms are more likely then in shorter wires. Resistance should also be proportional to the length of the wires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
I'm sorry, but with my experience in Audio wiring, it is always recommended to get better grounding and power wire to battery, lower resistance does not provide less electricity, it only lowers the resistance, thus making it easier for electricity to flow through, its like trying to run 50 cars side by side into a one lane road, your going to slow down, and have less power, by decreasing resistance, you don't lose power, but rather you open that one lane road up into a freeway, the same number of cars are there, just more room, and quicker response than one lane. get it??
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top