Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 nissan sentra gxe with the 1.6l GA16DE. I do have a full cold air intake that i custome bent to reach inside the finder behind the bumper. I also gutted out the secondary converter and muffler.. Sadly it is automatic. My money is kinda tight. What is the best bang for the buck for my car? thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
New head, cams, and NX nitrous and premium gas, and if your bored new suspension all around! then but a a turbo for $1500 from JCW! on the thread i posted about the turbo, its 8 psi

·
Registered
80 Posts
and that turbo adds only 50-60whp MAX so it's kinda about performance to money ratio, it all depends on what you want but that turbo is weak and not worth it for big gains...

·
Super Moderator
1,065 Posts
GC_RICER said:
New head, cams, and NX nitrous and premium gas, and if your bored new suspension all around! then but a a turbo for $1500 from JCW! on the thread i posted about the turbo, its 8 psi
yeah cause most people have the money to get another head and get it ported machining work cost alot of money, and theres so many companies that make cams for the ga16de, 93 octane fuel is going to give him more whp? Nitrous on that car wouldnt last unless he runs a 50shot or smaller. Unless he wants to upgrade the fuel system, THEN... running anymore power the auto trans is going to take a poop. That turbo system is nothing i would ever buy.

Also, why would you want to put nitrous on a car that is probably his daily driver?

Take all this into consideration.

If you want some more performance, go with a pop charger or wai, 2" exhaust, advance the timing then you have to run 93 octane fuel though. Thats basically all. Unless you want to auto to manual conversion the car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Headers. Exhaust. Lightweight Pulley. Advance Timing. Cams. Also, weight reduction. That is the best bang for your money and anything else, IMO, is a waste because it is an auto and it has the GA16DE.

·
Certified Ghetto Mechanic
390 Posts
dude this guy was running a 100shot wet on a ga16 with like 200K miles on it, stock, all day long for a year and had no problems.

Personally I'd stick with a 50shot, but these motors are tough as nails.

·
Super Moderator
1,065 Posts
Dan9 said:
dude this guy was running a 100shot wet on a ga16 with like 200K miles on it, stock, all day long for a year and had no problems.

Personally I'd stick with a 50shot, but these motors are tough as nails.
you got anything to back this up?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Auto to Manual conversion

any advice on the auto to manual conversion for the ga16de. thinking of doing it but need to know what parts woul dbe needed.

·
Registered
173 Posts
This is one of the links I found on here by searching, but if you do a search on SR20Forums (the original, without the dash) you can find a write-up on everything needed for the conversion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
All it is basically, linkage, train, clutch fly wheel pressure plates, pedal and fluids. Did I say basically?

Converting your sentra (after 1998) is pretty much useless.. Unless you have a standard sentra laying around or the innerds to one sittin in the back yard, this process is tedious and expensive... You are better off just trading in or buying another sentra. It will end up being faster and cheaper than doing a conversion. You can find a decent '98 sentra/200sx with a ga16de with less than 150k on it for under 3 grand easy. I bought my '98 200SX S GA16DE for 3,800. It had 18,000 miles and was in pristine condition. Before you go on a journey to convert your 99 sentra, I would look into find a standard that you like first. Might find something you like better than what you have anyway. Trust me. Conversions suck. You will find yourself without a car and stuck under a semi-automatic sentra for the next month. not to mention with empty pockets. If you know what you're doing and you have the cash go for it. But i don't recommend it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Depends if you want to make it street legal or not, chop the resonator and cat off and put headers on it and get a high flow muffler :rolleyes:

·
Registered
92 Posts
yeah cause most people have the money to get another head and get it ported machining work cost alot of money, and theres so many companies that make cams for the ga16de, 93 octane fuel is going to give him more whp? Nitrous on that car wouldnt last unless he runs a 50shot or smaller. Unless he wants to upgrade the fuel system, THEN... running anymore power the auto trans is going to take a poop. That turbo system is nothing i would ever buy.

Also, why would you want to put nitrous on a car that is probably his daily driver?

Take all this into consideration.

If you want some more performance, go with a pop charger or wai, 2" exhaust, advance the timing then you have to run 93 octane fuel though. Thats basically all. Unless you want to auto to manual conversion the car.
^I argee 2dr_Sentra............I would not put spray on a daily driver and he is very limited to mods due to it being a auto.

1.) NO lightweight flywheel can be added
2.) NO upgrade on a clutch for better grip, although on a GA16 a stock clutch does justice for the power that you are limited to by staing ALL MOTOR.

I tell you what, let me know your budget and lets go from there............You want power? I would go SR20DE or SR20DET all day long........You can get a decent running SR20DET for around 2K if you do the work yourself.

GA16DE

1.) Pop Charger
2.) Ebay header will server justice on a daily
3.) 2" FULL EXHAUST SYSTEM <---- A little pricey depending on where on how you go about it.
4.) Cams <--- Expensive
5.) Advance timing - Free :)

6.)

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you really want a fun car to drive on the road (in my opinion) your going to have to have a stick, reason being if your racing lets say on the street (and i have done this plenty of times) were going 45-50 miles an hour, automatics would be saving gas by stepping up gears so you would probobly be in 3rd or 4th, it takes a while for your car to downshift for acceleration if i was to race you, all i have to do is pop it in 2nd, then 3rd and im gone.

secondly do what im going to do with my car, go turbo. Cheapest bang for the buck and everyones gonna say aaahhh turbo this no turbo that just think my man. Nitrous is expensive to refill (ill take a hypothetical situation so you guys dont whine) zex nitrous system runs for 3 seconds on full squirt $25 to refill. so thats $100 every 12 seconds. i know i know not everyone runs for that amount of time or your can get a bigger bottle(more money to refill)

my list of what you should do bro no matter what if you are serious about having fun with your car money isnt a issue, because its your hobby.

first off keep that CAI nice job bro its cool and kudos for you i love it when people do custom jobs. If your tight on money i have a thread around here if you search called DIY MODS theres some cool free stuff in there you can do to your car like i did mines, all free or nothing over 10 bucks i dont think i still have stuff to do. next would be the turbo conversion. theres allot of options around here, you can buy a nice t25 garrett turbo for a good price if you look around. There is a place that makes custom turbo manifolds for $200 (if you tell me thats expensive your crazy you wont find that anywere) that website is in my DIY MODS thread laying around here. just search. heres what ill reccomned

1.buy the turbo manifold from them $200
2.buy a garrett turbo, or a ebay one for $180 (im just showing you options my man)
3. you will be able to run 7psi stock i belive without changes to the ecu but if you want more or your scared without one buy the emanage blue ebay $200-$250 maybe less.
4.make sure you do intercooling for a safeguard, just like my old man always told me to keep condoms close by.
5.your clutch should hold if it no beat up but im pretty sure it would be slipping from that setup because mines slipped when i was N/A. ebay stage 3 cluth $150 done
6. your gonna need a custom downpipe but if you go v-band it should be allot easier. if you need a custom downpipe a exhaust shop is your best friend, or holla at those people that make those turbo manifolds i told you about.
7. if you want you can change your exhaust system to make it less restrictive to that turbo setup, there are plenty of these you just have to search, or get it custom.

thats if you do it the right way it will be waayyy cheaper then that turbo kit bro and you can mix it up and do what you want. lets say you found out that your old ant betsy has a old TD05h turbo laying in her back yard from her day that she used to drive a lancer. well just tell the people that you want that cusom manifold to have a TD05H flang (wich if im not mistaken is the sam as t25?) thats all up to you that is what i would do. turbo turbo turbo. fun fun fun. fast fast fast. and all of those civics that just got burned by a sentra are like "dude wtf i just put that street glow sticker across my windshield last night and my butt dyno told me it added 25whp why the fuck did that sentra burn me?" aight man if you need any detail info ill be glad to help anyone here just pm me aight gents/ladies.

·
Registered
86 Posts
or you could try jgy.cc and look at all of the really cool shit that they have that no one else does...if you need intercooler piping they have it, and they have turbos, electronics, intercoolers, and even a fuel rail....i recamend getting the fuel rail and a nismo fpr and 370cc injectors, it will fit perfectly and also you can put a cobra maf and an sr20 throttle body, walbro fuel pump and GET THE HEAD PORTED AND POLISHED!!!!! triple angle valve job and jwt cams i could go for days!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Does anyone have a source for an exhaust that does not cost a 450 bucks? Ihave an OBX header but the exhaust is going to cost more? Seems like there has to be somone that has somthing for cheap?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Guys' I was also wondering if any of you have tried a trans go shift kit in an auto? I finally got the 96 running good but the auto trans simply is not up to the task of keeping this engine in it's sweet spot. Shifting manually nets much better acceleration IMHO... Sorry did not mean to steal your thread.....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
shitniggadamn i didn't know this many people responded to this post its been so long since i have been online.. wow.. thanks for all the ideas guys.. i have currently upgraded my suspension.. went with kyb agx and ground control coil overs.. rides real nice.. a little pricey but hey it looks good and turns on a dime.. but unfortunately i have ran numbers over and over again and this car being an auto is just not worth the time and trouble to make it quick.. so sadly its gonna have to go.. hopefully i can find a nice project car.. and slowly build it up.. sell the sentra and use the money to pay off all the parts for the new car..

·
Registered
92 Posts
shitniggadamn i didn't know this many people responded to this post its been so long since i have been online.. wow.. thanks for all the ideas guys.. i have currently upgraded my suspension.. went with kyb agx and ground control coil overs.. rides real nice.. a little pricey but hey it looks good and turns on a dime.. but unfortunately i have ran numbers over and over again and this car being an auto is just not worth the time and trouble to make it quick.. so sadly its gonna have to go.. hopefully i can find a nice project car.. and slowly build it up.. sell the sentra and use the money to pay off all the parts for the new car..
^Why not get an SE-R as a project car?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts