Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright a friend of mine has a 98 sentra with a ga16de engine that hes been fixing up as of late. Originally bone stock, hes put an intake on there and a catback exhaust with 2 inch piping (as well as minor superficial addons like 17inch rims, new headlights, blacking out the rear light covers, tinting the windows)...

this is his first car and he wants to make it a keeper, as well as faster.

Performance-wise, can anyone come up with a list and possibly prices to fix it up? Headers i notice are hard to come by, especially for cheap cuz he cant necassarily splurge, and especially CARB approved but i guess we can put the manifolds on whenever he needs to get it smogged. I figure since he already has the intake and exhaust, that would complete that "system"...just dont know where to find them (and not for over hundreds of dollars too).

but im at a loss for anything else. Generally, the things that pop in my head are pulleys, ECU/chip...thats about it. Turbos and stuff like that are out of his price range, of course. Gotta stay NA. This isnt gonna be raced or anything, just yearns for a quicker car haha. Help is MUCH appreciated, thanks guys.

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
ebay provides a one piece header for the GA16DE. it's a knockoff of the OBX header, and there's nothing wrong with it. the welds are superior, and the flange is massive. it's also very inexpensive.

provided you keep the O2 sensors plugged in and keep the Cat, you'll be fine for CARB.

you can get an ECU tune from JWT for $500, which is good for about 10hp. you can also get a set of cams for $500 from JWT. these aren't cheap advances, but as for the cams they're probably some of the best bang for buck and provide the most significant boost, especially couple with the other mods, including the ECU.

there were pulleys available for the GA16DE, but production of them seems to have vanished.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i ebay'd headers and didnt see any for the 98 model year. The only ones that came up for the GA16 were for um...91-94 or something like that. Got a link?

That sucks about the ECU and Cams being so expensive, my buddy doesnt have that much. Maybe i can have him save up for the cams. That also sucks about the pulleys, those coulda turned out nice.

Now, would replacing his fan with an electronic fan help any?
what about aftermarket coilpacks, better sparkplugs, and better spark plug cables? throttle body? injectors? (im checkin out ebay lookin at the stuff they got so thats where im getting my ideas haha)

·
Registered
485 Posts
You can still find pulleys now and then. Keep an eye on the for sale boards here and @ www.sr20forum.com. Can find some of the things you want pretty cheap. Tell him also the biggest way to get these quicker is to lose weight. Also look at replacing the battery and redoing the grounds for the car. Is his car manual or auto? If manual get a light weight flywheel to get a nice improvement. I will say the pulley was the best bang for the buck for me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
well i found these pulleys, they should suffice!

Nissan Sentra 1.6L DOHC 16V Polished Crank Pulley: Underdrive Standard Belt Layout (1995-1998) (Unorthodox Racing: 021010802)

its auto. My friend is just lookin for some more "pep" from his car. That site has alot of stuff for the car.

What do you all suggest to lower the car about an inch all around? new shocks/struts, springs, and caster/camber kit? where to get it?
damn son, i been lookin' for pulleys since summer lol... and you found em in a couple days. i need a smack lol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im really good at finding stuff online haha. I work as a computer tech and lots of trouble comes with finding drivers for computers...

well one of my nicknames at work is "The Driver King." :)

anyways, so it sounds like best bang for the buck in making the car a little peppier is Cams + pulleys? Can this be done without a new ECU? Also...is this suggested on an engine with nearly 200k miles?

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
im really good at finding stuff online haha. I work as a computer tech and lots of trouble comes with finding drivers for computers...

well one of my nicknames at work is "The Driver King." :)

anyways, so it sounds like best bang for the buck in making the car a little peppier is Cams + pulleys? Can this be done without a new ECU? Also...is this suggested on an engine with nearly 200k miles?
mmm maybe not. not because it would be too much for it, but simply because its a lot of money to put into whats most likely a pretty beat up engine. i would probably stick with just I/H/E for it, then put in a new one and transfer over the parts when it keels over. then you could think about cams pulleys and ecu tunes.

though for the price of the cams, ecu, and pulley, you could almost have the basic turbo kit for the car, which is good for about 140-150 hp.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well even the pulleys would be a bad idea then?

The engine still runs great. No leaks or anything and has good power for what its at...

·
Registered
485 Posts
carefull with the pulleys. Call and make sure they understand the sr20 pulleys will not work on the ga16de. I found one through the site before I could call.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
even though the pulleys from 2kracing clearly state they are for the 1.6l (which translates to ga16de) sentra for the model year my friend's car is? I'll have him call when he orders but they'll prolly tell him something like "yeah they say they are for the 1.6 so they should work" o_O

I googled the part number and found another website and it says this about the same pulleys...
"Unorthodox Racing Ultra S Underdrive Crank Pulleys Crankshaft Pulley - Serpentine - Aluminum - Polished - Nissan - Sentra - 1.6 - 1.8L "

so thats still promising. Also, you're gonna kill Sonicgundam's hopes with comments like that haha.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have had issues with sites that dont know there parts at all just list them like they see other sites and items. I know they stopped making the ga16de pulleys about a year ago though it could have been earlier and we didnt find out till later.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I checked unorthadox racing's website and they dont list the ga16de pulleys but for 98 sentra pulleys they show the 2.0 pulleys and its a different part number. So im betting its safe to assume the ones on 2kracing are for the 1.6...they just have a stock of em that havnt sold.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts