Nissan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Are there performance chips for the Spec V. How else can I increase performance?
Thanx
Don't K&N air filters let in a lot of debris?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Answer:
K&N filters stop more garbage then most filters, but not as much as the cardboard filter your stock car has. The small amout of very small particles it alows past is not enough to do damage to your motor. Most people can atest to having had no issues. I have 100,000 miles on my integra most of that with a K&N filter of one kind or another (box,short ram, cold air). I know many peole who have had them since day one of their cars existance and have 100,000+ miles with no problems. My Dad's Maxima had one from 5,000 thru the 50,000 it had on it when he sold it. Anyway you get the point.

Chips... that is a little more harry, we all want one, we know there are prototypes, but nobody is selling chips yet. YET but we all know there coming soon, the demand is there, and there needed for high end tuning of or motors.

Other choices... there is a HotShot Header for our car thay dynos at +12hp. There is a stromung exhaust that is a good gain with the header and CAI (cold air intake). Other than that we are so restricted by the ECU that the next best things are removals... IE: grounding of the knock sensor, or balance shaft removal.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
25 Posts
Re: ecu

cortrim1 said:
jwt will have a ecu eventually. :)
Yea, I've heard that for years re: my 98 Sentra SR20. I'm not trying to jump on anyone, or sound negative. JWT has been very very good to us.

jeff
Pretty good Aftermarket support, not even been out a whole year.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Re: Re: ecu

jspecv said:

Yea, I've heard that for years re: my 98 Sentra SR20. I'm not trying to jump on anyone, or sound negative. JWT has been very very good to us.

jeff
Pretty good Aftermarket support, not even been out a whole year.
there is already a prototype for the spec v. why else would jwt have cams and valve spring comming out for the spec v. btw the prototype cams are in a pro rally car right now:D

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
stillen told me yesterday that they were working on a chip too, imagine no 6100 rpm fuel cut off!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
chip

I have heard rumors of a chip as well, but nissan cars traditionaly have needed a piggy back board for the ecu. Also raising the rev limiter would not help unless you get better valve springs and remove the balanced shafts. The balanced shafts will lock up at 7000rpm(engine speed) causing the motor to lock up. :(

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i heard the jwt is developing, new valves and springs to go with a new chip

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wait a minute, u said that, sorry been up since 4 am lookin at car stuff, now its all gumbled in my head

hey by the way what advantages, or negitives would a new flywheel from stillen be, i hear it retails around 400.00

02 sliverspec
injen cai

·
Registered
369 Posts
silverspecvt said:
wait a minute, u said that, sorry been up since 4 am lookin at car stuff, now its all gumbled in my head

hey by the way what advantages, or negitives would a new flywheel from stillen be, i hear it retails around 400.00

02 sliverspec
injen cai

Your car will rev faster.;)

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know this has probably already been answered, but whut does taking out the balancing shafts do. IE, whut are the advantages, and disadvantages?

Sorry for a probable repost.

·
Registered
369 Posts
lbcklik1486 said:
I know this has probably already been answered, but whut does taking out the balancing shafts do. IE, whut are the advantages, and disadvantages?

Sorry for a probable repost.
removing the balanced shafts will free up 8hp, and according to the experts will have no ill effects on your motor. So think of it as free hp trapped in your motor.:cool:

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cortrim,

Hook me up....what exactly are the balance shafts and how do you remove them? Do you have a link where it says that removal won't do any damage?

·
West Coast Redneck
1,127 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Re: chip

cortrim1 said:
I have heard rumors of a chip as well, but nissan cars traditionaly have needed a piggy back board for the ecu. Also raising the rev limiter would not help unless you get better valve springs and remove the balanced shafts. The balanced shafts will lock up at 7000rpm(engine speed) causing the motor to lock up. :(
I have not heard anything about them locking up at 7K now what i'm curious about is just what is the reason for them.. is is to cancel low end vibration? do they stablize the lower end?
nissan put it there for a reason and dammit i wanna know :D .
and i read Torry's post about it, and im wondering if the removal is reversable. since you have to (quick way) cut the chain that drives it.
I know that some other cars used something similar like the ghost of a car the mitsubishi starion (friend of mine has one)

so if anyone knows and can tell me what this thingy is really for. I would greatly appreciate it.

i want to remove it but im a little hesitant.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Re: Re: chip

red SE-R said:

I have not heard anything about them locking up at 7K now what i'm curious about is just what is the reason for them.. is is to cancel low end vibration? do they stablize the lower end?
nissan put it there for a reason and dammit i wanna know :D .
and i read Torry's post about it, and im wondering if the removal is reversable. since you have to (quick way) cut the chain that drives it.
I know that some other cars used something similar like the ghost of a car the mitsubishi starion (friend of mine has one)

so if anyone knows and can tell me what this thingy is really for. I would greatly appreciate it.

i want to remove it but im a little hesitant.

the balance shafts are there to soak up the vibration cause by the rods moving up and down. They are in the car because this motor is large(displacment)for a four cyclinder, and was designed for the altima not the spec v so they are there more for comfort. Yes you can cut the timing chain but you might experience a oil pressure loss due to the fact the b/s are still being fed oil. Also the b/s assembly weighs 40lbs so removing it will save some weight. Btw the info I got on the b/s from a person who has already blown up the qr25de and had one lock up due to the b/s.;)

·
Registered
172 Posts
i see well i think i have a VERY good idea what im doing Sunday, especially since i just a call from a frined of mine that knows some people from nismo and they told him the same thing that the balance shafts are to cancel low level vibration and are not a requirement for the engine to operate.

it makes me wonder why they put them in all qr25's why not only in altima motors, and save weight and money?? and since they were so concerned on weight for that matter why not drop the b/s and put in stronger springs and valves???
since they did this to suposed to save weight..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts