Nissan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Former SuperMod
745 Posts
James said:
can't we put some sort of screening page in when you're inserting a new thread? Like it asks them what the thread is about (like a list and you check which topic it is about), and if it is one that can be covered in NPM or search, it can direct them to an automated message... just something that automatically informs the non-searching ppl to use search and allow room to delete nonsensical threads.

This idea seems reasonable, just might be more than necessary. I'm not Scott or Ryan so I don't know how much space on the server a screening page like this would take up. But that's not the main concern here. It's about figuring a way to best inform our members. Since this thread is still very active, this topic appears to be of great concern to all members, including moderators and administrators. I'll make sure this topic gets to the higher powers and we'll see what we can do.

·
Administrator
1,075 Posts
Screening pages might sound like a good idea, but in practice it's not really that feasible. It would require rewriting portions of the forums software and just make posting threads more of a hassle for everyone. There are a couple options available that I've considered:

1. Prevent new members from posting messages or new threads for xx days after subscribing
  2. Send new members automatic private messages containing info on how to use the forums
But that doesn't address the issue that there are already nearly 2000 members and it's not just new subscribers posting the repeat questions. I think it's just going to fall to the moderators to keep things in check.

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
If the screening page is that difficult then just throw it out. I like your first suggestion but sometimes ppl sign up just to throw a single question out and after it's answered never return... i think they'd be discouraged to frequent the site. The second suggestion might be our best bet but I thought that we already did that?

Maybe we can make it so that the first page they see when ppl sign up is a list of sources so they can read up themselves (namely sentra.net)...

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
James said:
Maybe we can make it so that the first page they see when ppl sign up is a list of sources so they can read up themselves (namely sentra.net)...
That just might be the ticket. I think it would be worth while to send that list in the form of private messages also. That way it is repeated.

I thought of something while I was at lunch a few minutes ago. Is there a better way to make those stickies more noticeable? Even though they are always at the top, for those of us with large screens especially, they seem to blend in with the rest. If they kind of stood out, people would notice them better. Maybe like making the titles, etc. bold would help differentiate them from the rest. Also maybe that type of sticky at the top of each forum asking that a subject be researched before a post is made.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I remember on b15sentra.net forums the most commons sight would be a post from a member with 1 or 2 posts to his name asking if they make altezzas for sentras;-)

·
Registered
118 Posts
its not just people not using the search button to find stuff that gets to me, its when they dont even browse through the rest of the threads in the section where they post, and then post a question that is already asked two threads down. some of the people on here are seriously far too lazy.

·
Its a JEEP thing...
388 Posts
I think people need to quit whining...the moderators are there to keep things in check..quit complaining about it

If you do your part, the forum will grow..if everyone self moderates, it will be civil, and full of knowledge.

Take responsibility for yourself. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Black200SXSER said:
I think people need to quit whining...the moderators are there to keep things in check..quit complaining about it

If you do your part, the forum will grow..if everyone self moderates, it will be civil, and full of knowledge.

Take responsibility for yourself. :rolleyes:
That is absolutely true. But how to we get people to that point? I would love to see this forum grow even more... it's already huge. We just have this one hurdle to pass at this point. I don't think it would be too hard for everyone to put in a little more effort to improve the forums.

·
Banned
118 Posts
...Ya know...that's what the forum is for...exchanging info...just thought I'd point out the obvious. Don't like...don't respond...EASY..

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
Black200SXSER said:
for sharing info...not 30,000,000,000 times....
Aint that the truth.
BTW Brad, Fix yo sig or Im gonna moderate yo A$$. LOL

·
Banned
118 Posts
All right I was going to let this one go but something happend yesterday that kind of pissed me off. Here I go...

I tried to find how to change ignition timing on my car. I thought I'd go and "search" for the info. Of course I read up on all the threads and how it is sooooo easy to change your timing. After looking through all of the info (including the page in the Sentra.net site that everyone was refering too) I realised that allthough there was allot of talk no one REALLY explianed how to do it. Everyone raved how it improves the power and how you need to change it to 15 dergees...BUT no one...not ONE freaking person actually expained where on a 1.6L the timing marks are (yeah I know by the crank pulley...BUT WHERE!!!) nor how the timing light works??? So pretty much after 2 hours of looking I did not find out S$#T.... Moral of the story... Although you guys think you have answered all the Q's, usually none of the forums hold ALL of the answers... So that's why the ppl ask the same question OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN. Because most ppl either don't answer the question correctly or completely...

my two cents...

BTW: The answers would be appreciated...

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
hagasan said:
All right I was going to let this one go but something happend yesterday that kind of pissed me off. Here I go...

I tried to find how to change ignition timing on my car. I thought I'd go and "search" for the info. Of course I read up on all the threads and how it is sooooo easy to change your timing. After looking through all of the info (including the page in the Sentra.net site that everyone was refering too) I realised that allthough there was allot of talk no one REALLY explianed how to do it. Everyone raved how it improves the power and how you need to change it to 15 dergees...BUT no one...not ONE freaking person actually expained where on a 1.6L the timing marks are (yeah I know by the crank pulley...BUT WHERE!!!) nor how the timing light works??? So pretty much after 2 hours of looking I did not find out S$#T.... Moral of the story... Although you guys think you have answered all the Q's, usually none of the forums hold ALL of the answers... So that's why the ppl ask the same question OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN. Because most ppl either don't answer the question correctly or completely...

my two cents...

BTW: The answers would be appreciated...
Dont take this the wrong way, but if you do not know how to use a timming light or find/read the marks you probably shouldnt be doing it yourself. Done wrong you can fry your motor. Read up on how to use a light first. Its kida sorta my fault there are no pics of the timing marks for you to look at. I have been trying to find the time to do it for Sentra.net. Ill try to get on it this week.

·
Banned
118 Posts
It's all good PatScott...

It just gets frustraring when people seem talking about something so "obvious" but in actuality the subject is a little more in depth. At least you're trying to help instead of just flaming me for being a "moron" for not knowing. I'm actually pretty competent with cars. But it's just like every thing in life....it seems complicated at first. Once you do it though...things tend to make much more sense. Any info (especially some pics...) would of greathelp .:p Thanks!!!

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
Damn it, I am gonna get off my lazy a$$ tommorow and take pic of the timing marks. LOL
Glad to see I didnt upset you(I tend to have that affect on some members). There are plans for a good timming adv. article. we're working on it. I may take some time tommorow and write up a preliminary(sp?) one for the mean time. If I do, you will get the first copy :D
I know what you mean, I take some automotive tasks for granted since I am a tech, and do the crap everyday. I have to keep reminding myself that not everone has done these things before.

·
:::User Illusion:::
112 Posts
You know what I'm sick of? Guys who sit on their hands and asses who are typing in "help...help...help?" as the topic and have statements like "I wanna get a se-r because I heard that their fast. How can I put a turbo in my car with no knowledge on how to change my oil and scratch my ass?"

I see stuff like this on a daily basis it makes me get angry, because these people think education and information is a handout you get while going on the train. When you go or went to school, the teacher never said "don't worry about studying or learning kids, I'll take all your test and quizzes for you this whole semester." I don't think so..... Just like how you bust your tail in school on the basic academics, you should apply the same focus on educating yourself with information that will further your knowledge and expertise on engines and engine building.

And for 17 years of age I can say that I have gained a lot more information from watching and reading other peoples faults and accomplishments or listening to their advice and suggestions, than guys twice my age. And like the commercials say "If I can do it, so can you!"

And I think this give me the reason to tell someone to use the search when they want to know what engine their sentra has!

-Mario;)

21 - 40 of 42 Posts