Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*Getting on soapbox*
Has this started to piss anyone else off? I'm getting sick of reading people getting up tight about people asking questions. It is getting to the point where I am being pushed away from coming back to the forums. If it weren't for all the information here, I would have left.

Example: "If you had searched this forum and SR20DEFORUMS, you would have found 35 mm to 40 mm."

I understand the importance of searching. I always search before I ask a question. I didn't find the answer I was looking for, so I asked. I know that many questions asked are repeated, and for those I can see the need for pointing out that people can search and find answers to most of their question. But... what the hell is up with people being such dicks about people searching? Most people are just rude about it. You know... It's not always easy to find little details like that. If you have such a problem with people asking questions, then get over it and move on. There is no one FORCING you to read that post or answer. That is the whole point of the forum!

I don't mean to sound ungreatful for those who help out people on the forums, b/c I'm not. I have learned quite a bit through the forums and through the various web sites. I spend the greater portion of my day reading about nissans.

Loosen up people... we're all friends here... I'm sorry for the gripe, but I felt this needed to be expressed. I'm not normally one to start something like this. But it needed to be said, so here it is. Maybe I'm being over-sensitive, maybe not.

OK. I'm off the soap box. Anyone else want a turn?

BTW, bahearn, that quote was not an attack on you. That was just the first thing that came to mind when I made this thread. I
do not mean for that to insult you in any way.

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
Well I can not speak for everyone, but think that most of these repeat quetions come from lazy members(not to single anyone out). I think any time a member wants to post something they should do a search first. I am probly quilty of repeating something, but I do use the search option a lot. Its just a waste of space to repeat something and it make unessary work for admins.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree. People should search before asking a question. It wastes time, and like you said space. What pisses me off is how rude people are about it...

·
Registered
674 Posts
Thank you for addressing this issue. I do search and rarely ask the same questions but for those people who are new and don't quite know what there doing on here or those people who aren't checking the forum daily like a lot of us do, it is rude and insulting. I think people should lighten up and just help out for the answer. A lot of times I notice they don't even answer the question, they just give some smart ass comment.

Be nice!

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
Very true,
There is no reason that anyone should be rude about it. The way I look at it. If you have time to think up a smart-ass remark just to post it, you should use that time and brain power to do the search for the person and put the tread link(s) in your post instead.

http://www.nissanforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3520

See how hard was that(I know, shameless plug for my own car).

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
I'm not a jerk, nor a dick, but I am a curmudgeon.

I've been on the SE-R mailing list for over 4 years and just recently starting visiting this board and SR20DE FORUMS. I am SO SICK AND TIRED of seeing the same old questions every freaking day. Almost every day, someone responds "SEARCH!" and does it do any good? If it weren't for the good information here, I would have left, too.

I'm much more amenable to answering civilly when it's mentioned that a search failed. If this old man can search first, then you young pups can certainly do the same.

And, yes, dono200sx, I took it personally. I'm so mad at you that I'm going to...to...to CHANGE ALL THE AIR IN YOUR TIRES! Hah! Take that! Keep a wary eye out or you find all the valve stem caps switch around on your wheels. I might swap your wiper blades. I might fill your mailbox with air. If you find a burning paper bag on your porch, be sure to STOMP IT OUT and pay no attention to what's inside the bag.

One more thing: I'm smilie impaired. I hate those things.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
bahearn said:

And, yes, dono200sx, I took it personally. I'm so mad at you that I'm going to...to...to CHANGE ALL THE AIR IN YOUR TIRES! Hah! Take that! Keep a wary eye out or you find all the valve stem caps switch around on your wheels. I might swap your wiper blades. I might fill your mailbox with air. If you find a burning paper bag on your porch, be sure to STOMP IT OUT and pay no attention to what's inside the bag.
Like I said, I did not use your quote to flame you. I had no intention to insult you in any way. If you did take offense, then you have my apologies. But let one thing be said. I hope that was a sarcastic remark. If it wasn't and I find you anywhere near my car, I will be promptly pressing charges and if that doesn't work, I'm going after you and your car. I don't take too kindly to people threatening me, my family, of my car. 'Nuf said about assholes....

I agree. People should search before asking a question. But being rude and arrogant isn't going to get us anywhere. I personally don't have a solution for this, but I'm sure someone can come up with something. I don't think that suspending posting rights for a couple weeks is the answer. If someone is having a problem and needs an immediate response and they just signed up they should be able to post. Anyone got an idea to solving the problem?

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
Easy, bahearn.
Us mods and admins have been talking about ways to solve the very problems you have mentioned. We are working hard to make these boards better for everyone. Recently we have been talking about cosmetic only sections so that us tech geeks can skip through all of that. I am trying to get a "harcore" tech section for disscusing topics at an almost engineering level. Please remember that this site is still young. We will have growing pains along the way.

·
Former SuperMod
745 Posts
PatScottAKA99XE said:
Easy, bahearn. Us mods and admins have been talking about ways to solve the very problems you have mentioned. <snip>

Well put, Pat. Since this BB is young there will be a significant amount of ups and downs throughout its growth. We mods and admins are doing our best to make this board easy to navigate and informative. It'll take some time for the bugs to be worked out, but besides some small issues I personally feel it is looking pretty damn good so far. I plan on stickin' around for awhile. :cool:

G

·
0 Posts
What's funny to me is *and it's not directly related to this board...it's all boards really*, that when you ask a question that's been asked alot of times. People wanna flame you right? Ok...well...in the amount of time it took you to write whatever "flame" you write...you could have answered his/her question instead. Helping the guy out and hey, you probably got a new friend. There are polite ways of answering a question and letting someone know that it's been asked before. Just my two.

·
Registered
346 Posts
bottom line

Bottom line sentra brothers.......if you have a question to ask......ask it......search or no search thats what a forum is for. (not to be rude, but those that dont like it......tuff...deal with it)

G

·
0 Posts
Sentra! SENTRA!!! I do NOT own a POS SENTRA!! I have the almighty ALTIMA...pay me HOMAGE peasants! :D :p

Seriously tho...just ask the question. :)

I'm just jealous cuz my car can't fit the SR20DET ...so pay me no mind....

·
Administrator
1,075 Posts
Bottom line:

(And this represents the opinion of the admins and moderators)

Questions are fine. However, what we're trying to avoid are questions pertaining to readily available information. Some of this stuff has been rehashed, discussed in great detail, or even been written about on the pages of SE-R.net, Sentra.net, NissanPerformanceMag.com, or any other number of sites & forums.

So what we're asking is for people to do a bit of reading first, then ask questions. Posts such as "how do I advance my timing?" have been covered already, but if you happen to read the available info first you'll be to ask more intelligent and detailed questions. Assuming you still have any questions at all. For people to post the same questions continually just makes the forums less useful for all.

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
Man, you people sure have your panties in a wad.

I did NOT take umbrage at being chastised for not sugar-coating my initial reponse to search first.

If any of you took my absurd actions as reasonable, then I need to leave you sociopaths before some gets hurt, namely me. As I said, I hate smilies. That doesn't mean I don't like humor, satire or facetiousness. I liberally applied all of those to my last post. "Fll your mailbox with air" and "change the air in your tires". Good grief, some threat.

Geez, loosen up.

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
you know what pisses me off, ppl that ask stupid questions that haven't even bothered to think themselves. sure the info is available, and I know it's confusing... but ask the questions AFTER you have attempted to figure it out... I mean the timing thing, it's not the hardest thing in the world... and that's not the only issue, the TURBO AUTOMATIC transmission issue is getting old too, I'm just tired of stupid questions that get asked over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over....

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree that people should research something before they post a question about it. Like was mentioned, that lead to more inteligent questions. Something that does for the rest of us is helps us learn also from those questions. It's that forward motion of learning that we all need. But the problem still lays in how do we get people to do that? I still haven't thought of anything.

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
can't we put some sort of screening page in when you're inserting a new thread? Like it asks them what the thread is about (like a list and you check which topic it is about), and if it is one that can be covered in NPM or search, it can direct them to an automated message... just something that automatically informs the non-searching ppl to use search and allow room to delete nonsensical threads.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts