Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.

My pathy 4x4 simply wont work. I am running out of ideas what to do here. I searched the forum and posted a question earlier last week. Apparently, I was advised, that the 4x4 was not engaging due to bad automatic hubs. So, off to the junkyard I went and pulled off two sets of automatic hubs.

I Came home, installed both of them and off I went to try out my pathy 4x4 power!. I went to a gravel road and tried to engage my 4x4 by putting it into 4LO and backed up the vehicle several feet. I then went forward for several feet and looked for some loose gravel area with an incline. Found the perfect spot put the truck into reverse and gave it some good gas. I could feel my rear wheel spinning ( almost got stuck too, couldnt back out back to the road, LOL ) there was no front wheel spin at all. Upon closer inspection of the gravel, I could definitively see the rear tires trying to dig themselves onto the road, but there was no sign of any activity at all on the front tires.

Any ideas what else I can do guys? thanks guys

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
did you clean the replacement hubs before you installed them? crawl under the veh. and turn your halfshafts until the frt hubs lock, do this on both sides, then place veh in 4
WD a test drive, you will be able to tell if the 4WD is working or not. do not drive too long on dry pavement this will hurt the 4wd. my guess is the hubs you installed were probably in need of servicing as well as the originals.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there,

thanks for your informative reply. I hate to sound like a noob, I am far from a shade tree mechanic, but whats the best way to clean the hubs? I just took them off the junk yard and installed them right away. I am not sure what you mean by cleaning them. they had ample of grease and didnt have any dirty or anything.

Would you be kind enough to let me know how to go about cleaning them?

thank you!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
1st off, we're talking about automatic locking hubs, not manual locking.

when you pull the hub off (6 screws hold it on), you basicly disassemble the whole thing, clean each part off and inspect it, yes even though there is grease on it. they do sell replacement springs for the hubs, I would look into buying them. should be more than $5 for both of them. aside from being dirty this the main reason auto hubs fail. once every piece is cleaned and inspected, reassemble with a light coat of grease on each part then check for operation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts