Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

I am a total noob when it comes to 4x4, and this is my first pathy.

I just bought the truck and I was told by the previous owner that the 4x4 didnt work. i bought it dirt cheap and engine and normal tranny seems to run ok.

I drove to a gravel road to test the pathy and found that whenever engaged to 4Lo or 4Hi, and you try to drive forward or backward, you can hear a low whirling type of noise , hard to describe. Not much power either. So, I stopped the vehicle and put it in neutral and drove her home.

According to the previous owner, it could be a case of a dirty locking hubs? is there such a thing? Could the tranny be shot? it drives fine in the city/hwy.

Please let me know how I can troubleshoot this issue.

thanks guys.

A new pathy owner!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Im not a expert but sounds like its a locking hub or transfer case problem, not a transmission problem if the vehicle drives fine in 2wd. All 4x4 hubs need maintence too like lubing every 50k miles. Just got mine lubed 6 months ago. You can rebuild these hubs so you'll need a Haynes/Chiltons repair manual. I prefer Chiltons. I've seen a guy put Ford manual hubs in his pathfinder, not sure how he did it. Hopefully your transfer case isn't shot though. Check the transfer case oil too to see if its topped off when you get a manual.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i had a similar problem like yours. You can either

1 = go to a wrecker and find a set of auto hubs
2 = rebuild
3 = buy new stock auto hubs ( huge rip off from the dealer )
4 = get a set of warn manual hubs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts