Nissan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a Nissan battery put in and they cleaned the grounding points and it seems to have worked.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,510 Posts
When the vehicle is unable to start, you'll have to determine at that moment if there's an ignition or fuel delivery problem.

If you haven't performed the procedural diagnostic steps that I outlined with my previous post, then I would highly recommend it; otherwise you'll be just chasing your tail and spending a needless amount of expense.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Generally what we see when this issue occurs is multiple can communication codes from the ecm going off line. Cleaning the main ground will take care of the issue of the corrosion isn’t actually inside the main ground cable causing a substantial voltage drop. Essentially the ground cable turns into a large resistor preventing 12.6v going to the ecm. I would suggest replacing the main ground cable directly off the battery.

I have seen multiple people replace the ground terminal end with an off the shelf part causing the same issue. Generally they will come in with a marine terminal end which has excessive resistance for the automotive industry.

This can be a difficult to diagnose issue especially if it’s not cold enough to duplicate frequently as a crank no start can be caused by a bunch of other things.

·
Registered
3 Posts
New here but see if you can get ahold of a scanner that can give you sensor readings when this happens. Make sure that let's say the intake temp sensor and the coolant temp sensor are reading correctly. You may have the intake reading -50f and the it will try and either dump too much fuel or not enough to fire it up.
When I worked on cars I've seen a sensor all of the sudden read crazy numbers while warming up and stall the car.
Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same issue with my 2012 Pathfinder V6, trouble started last winter. Very frustrating, I've missed work meetings and been late a few times because of it.

I replaced my battery, cleaned the battery connections but car still won't start on cold mornings. Just today I tested the battery and connections, all come in great. I'm guessing it could be a fuel issue from the rogoman post above. I'm having it checked out tomorrow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Coolant temperature sensor........you need more fuel for cold weather startup......ecm cant see engine is cold because temp sensor is bad...........you can thank me later.....lol......

·
Registered
15 Posts
When the engine is cold, spin the engine and see if you're getting a strong spark at the plugs. If not, the battery may have some weak cells, so at this point the interstate battery would be the prime suspect.
And to make reference to your earlier retort to myself: YOU are clearly not a tech...Please stop giving half-arsed, blind advice to people.

·
6,510 Posts
Well I'll give you a little autobiography. I got my ASE certification back in 1990. Ran a small auto repair business back then; turned it into a speed shop. Built many race engines for clients; mostly Chevy small/big block V8's. Decided to retire. So I think I'm qualified.

You sound like a lobbyist for the auto repair industry. A lot of members on this forum can't afford to take their vehicle to a repair shop at $120/hr labor charge just for diagnosis let alone actual repair. A lot of members are just novices when it comes to auto mechanics but they are eager to learn; we try to help them along.

Like I said in my previous post, this forum is to try to help people with their vehicle problems. When trying to help people, some times a member's opinion is correct and some times it's not but that's OK; someone else will chime in and add their opinion without being flamed. Flaming is not tolerated on this forum which it looks like you're tying to do. If you keep it up, you'll be banned from this forum.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,593 Posts
Rogoman has been helping people out on this forum for a very, long time...for over 15 years...and I've been a member for a few years, myself. While he may not be a certified Nissan Master Tech, I was, leaving Nissan in 2003 having worked for them for a total of 16-years between 1985-2003 (I left for a couple of years to do other things and went back). There may be a once-in-a-blue-moon moment when some of his advice might need a small correction, but 99.5% of the time his advice is pretty solid and he's definitely an important contributor to this site. He is clearly a very knowledgeable automotive technician by evidence of some of the thousands of replies he has given to other members looking for help for their Nissan problems.

·
6,510 Posts
Rogoman has been helping people out on this forum for a very, long time...for over 15 years...and I've been a member for a few years, myself. While he may not be a certified Nissan Master Tech, I was, leaving Nissan in 2003 having worked for them for a total of 16-years between 1985-2003 (I left for a couple of years to do other things and went back). There may be a once-in-a-blue-moon moment when some of his advice might need a small correction, but 99.5% of the time his advice is pretty solid and he's definitely an important contributor to this site. He is clearly a very knowledgeable automotive technician by evidence of some of the thousands of replies he has given to other members looking for help for their Nissan problems.
Thanks SMJ, I appreciate that!

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,593 Posts
Thanks SMJ, I appreciate that!
No, thank you! It's hard to keep up with traffic as an Admin on TheNissanPath.com, a Mod on this forum and member at ClubFrontier.org and NissanHelp.com along with the rest of things I have to do in my life. Since I own an R51 Pathfinder and a D22 Frontier, NissanForums has dropped to 3rd on my list of forum priorities. You save me a lot of work!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok. Same problem. At 40 degrees it WILL NOT start. 50 degrees it starts EVERY time without fail. in between those 40 and 50 degrees maybe starts, maybe doesn't. This is a 2007 Pathfinder. It has brand new terminals (old ones corroded beyond belief because some idiot put copper terminals on it) and because of the older bad terminals, I put a brand new battery in it last year. All work done by a nissan dealership service dept. ( who could admittedly be just as stupid as a non nissan service dept so....there's always that).

3 weeks ago during a cold snap, I blew a relay. I could HEAR the difference in the cranking as soon as it blew, but at the time didn't know what exactly had changed, just that something had changed. Towed to repairshop and found out it was a relay that was repaired. Now we have a new cold snap and I'm back to where I was, I just try less often and for shorter periods of time to get the thing started.

Anything else it could be, besides battery/starter issues(as these have all be checked and determined not to be the problem)??
I hear you, I have a 2007 Pathfinder and when it gets to below minus 6, (ALBERTA Canada) it simply gives up the Ghost. It will not start, have checked everything known to mankind, all seems to be working properly ,it simply cranks, but no start. When the temperature warms up, she runs perfectly. What good is a vehicle when it is like that, even plugging the vehicle in, does not help!?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I hear you, I have a 2007 Pathfinder and when it gets to below minus 6, (ALBERTA Canada) it simply gives up the Ghost. It will not start, have checked everything known to mankind, all seems to be working properly ,it simply cranks, but no start. When the temperature warms up, she runs perfectly. What good is a vehicle when it is like that, even plugging the vehicle in, does not help!?
What do you mean by "plugging it in"?
At the time of not starting, can you hook up to another strong battery with jumper cables to see if it makes a difference?

·
Registered
6 Posts
What do you mean by "plugging it in"?
At the time of not starting, can you hook up to another strong battery with jumper cables to see if it makes a difference?
Plugging it in means warming the engine oil up by connecting to the mains.
Have also tried hooking another battery to it as one would do when jump starting it up!

·
Registered
6 Posts
When you take the vehicle to the dealership, it just seems a process of elimination at the owners expense judging by past experiences on the forums that Nissan dealerships are unable to fix the problem!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Plugging it in means warming the engine oil up by connecting to the mains.
Have also tried hooking another battery to it as one would do when jump starting it up!
When you take the vehicle to the dealership, it just seems a process of elimination at the owners expense judging by past experiences on the forums that Nissan dealerships are unable to fix the problem!
I know!
Very frustrating.
I've been on both sides of that coin, so I understand.
Most problems are not that complicated, and many tend to overlook the basics.
That said, some problems can be very complex to diagnose, but dealerships should be more up front about the cost of diagnostics than they tend to be.
As a service manager and technician (motorcycle, ATV, PWC) industry, I was always very careful to explain that we have to go step by step, and that sometimes it takes far more than anyone realizes to pin down a problem.
One thing that I was very conscientious of is to not make a customer incur the cost of a recommended repair that did not solve the problem.
The other side of this is that even with the proper tools & training, a difficult problem can be very time consuming to identify.
Very frustrating.
OTOH, can you elaborate specifically what you mean by,,,,,,,,,,"have checked everything known to mankind"?
Maybe from that we can help?

·
Registered
6 Posts
All fuses and relays have been checked. The ECM working as it should and the box containing the relays and fuses in the engine compartment. Battery is okay. Battery post connectors all clean. Oil is 5W-30. Fuel pump okay. Runs without a problem when the temperature is warmer. So am stuck with a Nissan Pathfinder 2007 that should have been made for the tropical climates!! Reading through the forums, it is a very common problem I have never had a vehicle that has this problem!! I would be very hesitant about buying another Nissan!!

·
6,510 Posts
Let's backup and get to the basics. When the vehicle is unable to start, you'll have to determine at that moment if there's an ignition or fuel delivery problem. If you haven't performed the procedural diagnostic steps that I'm outlining below, then I would highly recommend it; otherwise you'll be just chasing your tail and spending a needless amount of expense.

* Testing fuel delivery:
A quick way to test the fuel pump and filter is to disconnect the fuel feed hose from the fuel rail and connect it to a long length of spare hose with the other end draped over the fender going into a catch can placed on the ground. Now turn the ignition key to the run position but DO NOT START THE ENGINE. You should see fuel going into the can at a good rate for several seconds. If you see the fuel pouring out, then tee-in a temporary fuel pressure gauge between the fuel feed hose and the fuel rail. Turn the ignition key to the run position but DO NOT TRY TO START THE ENGINE. The fuel pressure reading should be around 51 psi which would be a static reading.

The fuel injectors may not be firing. This can be tested with a "noid" light probe for each injector harness connector. The probe kit can be purchased at most auto parts stores or at Amazon.com.

* Testing ignition:
Pull several coil packs to test; use a spare spark plug in the coil pack to test; ground the plug base with a jumper wire to the engine block; see if you're getting a strong spark while trying to start the engine.

* There may be a major intake system vacuum leak:
Check the intake manifold nuts to make sure they are tight. Also check the intake plenum bellows at the throttle valve and at the MAF for cracks or loose clamps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you for all the help from the forum. SPlashed out and purchased anew battery. It has started for the past 3 days without a hitch. Saturday supposed to hit minus 27 degrees here in Calgary. That will be the test, once again, many thanks.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts