Nissan Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Loose Butterfly Screws in my Nissan Pathfinder DESTROYED my engine. Thanks, Nissan.

I own a 2003 LE and have experienced the exact same problem. I was just given the diagnosis of the loose butterfly valve screws getting sucked in to my engine and effectively destroying it. After getting online and reading about how many people have had to replace their engines because of this same issue, I'm livid that Nissan dismisses the problem! I spent thousands to purchase my Nissan Pathfinder, I've spent thousands in general maintenance and repairs, now I have to spend thousands for a new engine because Nissan didn't lock in three little screws properly. We need to do something about this...Please help others and report your problems online, to Nissan, to every consumer protection organization, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dead Pathy

Hi all,

Looks like this may have happened to my Pathy. I'm driving a very low mileage 2004 Pathfinder Chinook. It was my mother-in-law's truck until May of 2010. She bought it brand new in '04 and serviced it religiously at the dealer. When we took it over we continued servicing only at the dealer. A few days ago it dies on me while I was 270km away from home. It only had 85,000 KM (53,000 mi) on the odometer! Dealer in the city I had it towed to (my old dealer) told me the engine was dead (and I could tell by the sound). They didn't give me a reason, but I'm suspecting the power valve issue. I'm waiting to hear back from them on Monday as to hoe much it will cost me to find out if that is what indeed caused the failure.

I don't know what to do now. I plan on contacting Nissan Canada to see if they are willing to help me out by standing behind their product. Not holding my breath but I will bug them until the cows come home. Obviously the truck is well beyond warranty, but no engine should fail at 85,000 km!

Dealer said my options were to put in a brand new engine for $7900 or a used one they found with 116,000 km on it from a wrecker for $5600. Both prices are before taxes and only include 1 year parts warranty, no labour! I don't know what the best course of action is. I'm ready to move on from the Pathy but hardly think I would recoup my money if I put an engine in and then tried to sell or trade-in. I wouldn't get much from a wrecker either even tho this truck is in fantastic shape. 85,000 KM and no rust because we had a rust check warranty.

Had I try selling this thing before the engine died, I could have asked for anything from $8-10,000 for it, but now....

What do you guys think I should do? Should I hit various forums and see if an enthusiast wants to buy the truck as is and drop their own engine in it? It's a great truck aside from the dead engine! Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Pete

·
Registered
18 Posts
Can anyone post pictures where these screws are? Are they in an area where we can easily see them and torque them ourselves if necessary.

·
Registered
102 Posts
more than just power valve problems

Isn't it ridiculous that one dealership is willing to do you the favor of warranty work due to a design problem you had nothing to do with and the other wants to kick you in the ass as you walk out the door? What a fucked-up SOP. Nissan NA needs to clean their shit up.
pathfinders have a recall on the from struts rusting out causing a crash, they'd not have a recall when water goes into the transmission because THEY CHANGED RADIATOR VENDORS FOR CERTAIN YEAR PATHFINDER.
also the rear stabilizer links have rubber bushings that rot out , the fix is replace the rubber ones with neoprene . also the timing chains wear out the slides made of plastic and we thought chains were better than belts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quick question, does this effect models past 2004? My net searches this far have been coming up with 01-04, as the years effected, but nothing later, as I'm considering purchasing one to replaces 10 yr gr caravan, I'd like to know if I'm heading in the right direction for another 10 years.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Power Valve screws and links

Well I was surprised none of the links still worked. Then I looked at the dates !!!

So i found a document I had saved years ago. If anyone needs it I will email. PM me.

Changing the plugs today, first time, I have had the Pathy since 15 months and 25,000 miles. At 145 K now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Aww man, this is not what I wanted to hear. I did replace the screws and butterflies in our grandson's altima. It wasn't really a hard job but I have so many things to fix on the Pathfinder and now this. My real concern now is this truck has 194,000 miles on it. If the screws haven't been fixed by now, they are either really tight or on the verge of coming loose. Only one way to find out... dog gone the luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Aww man, this is not what I wanted to hear. I did replace the screws and butterflies in our grandson's altima. It wasn't really a hard job but I have so many things to fix on the Pathfinder and now this. My real concern now is this truck has 194,000 miles on it. If the screws haven't been fixed by now, they are either really tight or on the verge of coming loose. Only one way to find out... dog gone the luck.
At 106K mine had already lost 4, it was the 5th one that did the trick!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts