Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
01-04 Pathfinder power valve failure: Engine damaged by screws falling into engine

I have a 2004 Pathfinder that had the power valve screws in the intake back out and fall in the cylinders and fry the engine. I have 33,000 miles on the car, but I am past the warranty period by six months. Nissan refuses to replace the engine under warranty. This is the same probelm that the Altimass and Sentra's have seen which is recorded on TSB NTB05-058. I am writing letters to both Nissan North America and NISSAN Motor co. I have also contacted Newsday and will be sending them all the info. If anyone else has had this problem, please contact me at [email protected] so I can have more info to fight with.

Thanks,
Gary

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
9,767 Posts
Doesn't this fall under the 5 year/ 60000 mile powertrain warranty?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not covered under powertrain

I was told that because the screws fell into the motor, it voided the powertrain warranty. I have now notified the BBB.

***If anyone has had this problem, please let me know. I want toget as much information as possible.

-Gary

·
3,553 Posts
Here, read. This is already getting to be a common problem with no resolution aside from buying a new engine yourself. Nissan dealerships deny the existence of the problem and will not warranty any Pathfinder engine with this problem.

Power Valve Screws Falling Out On 3.5's, 01-04 - Nissan Pathfinder Off-Road Association

2002 Pathfinder Severe Engine Damage - Nissanhelp.com

Funny how they'll fix the ones in the Sentras and Altimas but not their FLAGSHIP SUV...a class-action lawsuit is probably the only thing that will wake them up.

I'm going to pin this thread so everyone can find it. :)

Reactions: LE2003

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for pining it. I have already read about this problem and posted on every forum I caould find on the internet. I have since moved the truck to another dealership who says they can fix it under the powertrain warranty. They are supposed to let me know today for sure. I will keep everyone updated.

-Gary

·
3,553 Posts
Isn't it ridiculous that one dealership is willing to do you the favor of warranty work due to a design problem you had nothing to do with and the other wants to kick you in the ass as you walk out the door? What a fucked-up SOP. Nissan NA needs to clean their shit up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good news...

The engine has been replaced under the powertrain warranty.

The day after I picked it up, I received a letter from Nissan North America saying how sorry that they couldn't replace the motor under warranty. I still plan on writing some letters about my experience.

I suggest if anyone has this problem, call around to all the dealers in your area! It seems that it is up to the individual dealership to decide if they want to honor the warranty or not.

-Gary

·
Registered
38 Posts
HI all. i own a '01 Pathfinder...should i at all be concerened about this??? i have 82k and i have never heard any funny noises or anything, even tho the SES light is on...im thinking a MAF. could i call my local nissan dealership and ask them about the problem or will they just ignore me?

thanks for all your assistance

·
3,553 Posts
Be very concerned. This problem applies to all 3.5's from 01-04.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I called the dealer today after reading all these forums on the power valve screws coming loose and getting sucked into the intake. The service manager said there hasnt been any recall about this problem on Pathfinders, but he did say hes seen it happen on some altima's and sentra's. well i told him about all the websites ive gone to and read all this stuff about people having motor failure do to screws coming loose. i asked him how much it would cost to check the screw problem and loctite all of them, and he said $200. that seems like a small price to pay to have a peace of mind, plus a mechanic with 30yrs experience will be working on it.

i am so veery pleased that i have found all these forums to assist me with problems. hopefully everything will go well.

thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
So i just got back from the Dealership, and so far so good. i went in at 1030 this morning and the mechanic started to tear it down. He told me that the screws were not to the point of falling out, but they came out easier then they should have...so $200 later and some lock-tite, im good to go. oh also had the MAF replaced, got a deal worked out with the mechanic, so no more SES light.

NOTE: ANYBODY WITH AN '01 TO '04 PATHFINDER, GET THIS PROBLEM CHECKED OUT!! YOUR BUTTERFLY SCREWS MAY NOT BE TO THE POINT OF FALLING OUT, BUT THEY COULD BE VERY LOOSE!!!!! it'll be worth an extra couple hundred dollars to keep you pfinder running!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have completed the Power Valve check Procedure

I am glad I did, for if nothing more than piece of mind. The Pathy was a undermilage 02 (33K in pristine condition) The screws were loose but not missing, very little threadlocker was present, if at all. I posted the procedure on my PWB at Old TreadHead the procedure was similar to what others have done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pay me now or pay me later. That's pretty much what it boils down to. Kinda sad though how it's an internal motor problem which makes me worry about the new generation motors. my dad had a similar problem with his 02 altima except the substrate in the catalytic got sucked back into the head which could have bent some valves but luckily didn't. he tried to get warranty from the dealer on it but to no avail. so i replaced the cat at work. since then my stepmother owns the car and no hiccups but faja upgraded to an 07 maxima with the 3.5. I hope that's been addressed with this version of the motor. i'll have to check up on it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts