Nissan Forum banner

parts not to buy before SR swap?

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  240luvr 
#1 · (Edited)
i'm plannig on buying an sr to swap into my 91' se but i don't plan on doing the swap for a couple months. reason being is i want to replace the head gasket, valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, clutch, fmic, etc. i want to get everthing out off the way before putting it in. after buying the motor i should have about $2500-3000 to play with. so i don't want to buy stuff for the car that i won't beable to use after i swap the motor, like intake, header,etc. so what can i get that i won't have to throw out after the swap? i'm looking more into struts, springs, sway bars, anti-roll bars,(suspension), exhaust, differential, short throw shifter, etc.

#5 ·
if your'e looking to buy stuff to put on the car now that can stay on the car after you do the swap then a short throw shifter is out because you swap tranny's as well, so if you buy a short throw for the KA tranny, then it won't work on the SR...you can get a cat-back exhaust, any suspension parts will work without a problem. If I am correct the clutch is also changed with the swap so a new clutch wouldn't work out either...but if you want to buy stuff for the sr before you put it in then anything that says it'll fit the sr will work.
That's all I can do to help.

#6 ·
yeah i see what your saying...but he wasnt really clear on what he was keeping...or if he had the SR already...I had the impression he was asking what parts to buy right now while he is waiting...thats why I said new clutch...he could put it on the SR to save time later...same with the Short shifter idea...also i read somewhere that a NIsmo short shifter will fit both KA and SR...but I dont know

#7 ·
I don't think that it will fit both, even if it did, I would rather buy something that is specifically for the tranny I have, not for two...

#11 ·
240luvr said:
I don't think that it will fit both, even if it did, I would rather buy something that is specifically for the tranny I have, not for two...
From what I gather the Tranny is the same for either just the bell housing is different so a short shifter for a SR tranny would be for a KA tranny as well correct me if I am wrong

#12 ·
I don't really know to be completely honest with you. You probably know more about it than I do. Also, if Nismo says it'll fit both, I guess there's no reason to argue...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.