Nissan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well unlike the last time I was posting and looking around for B12 stuff, I actually am getting some work done. Oh and that spindle on the driver side can burn in heck. I had to cut the axle off to pull it out. yeah just pulling the motor and transmission out took 8 hours. I'm really no mechanic but now I'm starting to see what all these people like CrazyMart, Boost_Boy, Charles Johnson, and everyone else that decides to do this mess go through. Engine swaps are not as easy as it appears no matter how swapable it is, I can see that and I'm less that half way.

http://community.webshots.com/user/majinchris

Check out my progress.

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
thats about the same time it take me to take any engine off lol... im faster with the e16 but geez it was a pita for the ca18de ... Keep it coming we're all here to help ya out if anything happens !! ... wath about that spindle ???? how could it got stuck with the axle in ??? so now youll have to get a new one to replace it.. your still be using that same tranny for the Ga16de ??

Cant wait to see it all done :p Ps i still have that same lookin empty engine bay pic somewhere on cardomain lol brings back lots of memories !!

keep up the good work !

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fortuneatly My auto tech teacher last year gave me 2 fairly new axles, which is one reason I didn't feel to bad hacking at the one. Nah the transmission I got is the stupid 4spd, I'm replacing it with a 5spd. Next step is the transmission, axles, pulsar brakes, and if my tax check comes new wheels.(the ones in the picture where sold)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Crazy-Mart said:
thats about the same time it take me to take any engine off lol... im faster with the e16 but geez it was a pita for the ca18de ... :loser:
Ya bums, my friend had me help him with his 86/5 200sx motor swap(used the same motor) and it only took us 1 1/2 hours to pull. HA! but to be fair rwd motors are much easyer to pull, and I've never pulled a fwd motor. but that's about to change in short order.

P.S. I'm about to attempt to swap my ga16i with the de into my pulsar. but I already have 5spd. and dose any one know if the DE uses different gears in the tranny? my gear box feels like it has really short gears and I don't think that it would put the more powerful engine to good use.

·
Registered
21 Posts
hey man its good to see a fellow b12 owner. trust me some of the things you have to do to these things can become a major pain. i myself am having to replace the timing chain and all its components, but being that i'm a little short on cash til tuesday so my car has been parked outside. but hey the good thing is that i'll be getting my wheels and tires in that day so its all good. next up suspension.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tranmissions

As far as better transmissions are concerned, I heard that late model 200sx 5spd transmissions where the best for the GA16DE. But I'm pretty certain there is little or no difference between the GA16i 5spd and the 91-94 5spd. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
124 Posts
What kind of parts are you using and is there anything I should know about this swap before I start?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm using a JDM GA16DE and the transmission when I find one it'll most likely be a B13 5spd. I can't afford the 200sx tranny. JWT ECU, B13 wiring Harness, and B13 mounts. The swap to a DE is by far the easyist one you can do, everything basically goes in the same spot and the only customizing thing you need to do is on the wiring harness. When you start doing a swap expect to spend more money than you thought. And watch out for those spindle bolts

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'll be using a usdm GA16DE with the 5spd my pulsar came with (you may want to look into the pulsar tranny will most likly be cheaper/easyer to find). So the mounts are all the same then? that's my biggest concern at the moment. I know everything cost more then you think, but I can't drive it anyways so I'm not worried if i don'thave cash for unforseen parts.

Is the JDM GA any better?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pulsars are hard to find around here. I thought I read some where that the mounts are a little different but they bolt in the same place, either way I'm just getting new ones. Well the JDM has 2 EGR's, and there is a little difference in power, something like an extra 1 or 2 hp. The reason I'm using the JDM is because thats what Nippon-Motors.com sells. They are pretty cheap, 475 for the GA16DE with only 40k miles.

·
Registered
124 Posts
oh i see, well at least you'll run really clean....Maybe you can use that extra emitions equipment to cover up other mods that would make your car pollute more, i.e. turbo. That's a good price, do they compression check them and everything?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not sure, I know they come with a warrenty. The only problem is your only promised the Head, Block, Intake Manifold, and maybe the exhaust manifold. Everything else like the alternator may come with it but don't count on it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
So how's the progress coming? when are you expecting to get the new motor in? I like the fact that your doing this swap at the same it I am, but two steps ahead, that way I can try to avoid any problems you have with your :cheers: your a pioneer my friend.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the compliment, but I'm having a hard time trying to find a transmission and I might have to end up ordering it online. I'm replacing the spindle and A arm friday. If I have to order the tranny I'll go ahead and pick up my wiring harness and ECU and get that done. Either way progress should be made this weekend.

·
Registered
21 Posts
1989Sentra said:
Thanks for the compliment, but I'm having a hard time trying to find a transmission and I might have to end up ordering it online. I'm replacing the spindle and A arm friday. If I have to order the tranny I'll go ahead and pick up my wiring harness and ECU and get that done. Either way progress should be made this weekend.
hey you know what i actually have another ecu sitting in my shed

·
Registered
124 Posts
Crap

I slept through the end of the auction :loser:
So no GA16DE for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts