Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The strangest thing happened today. I was just driving along a highway and heard one bang and my moonroof shattered. It was safety glass so the moonroof was intact and upon further investigation, I couldn't see if a rock or some other object had caused the damage. There were no crack lines, as the glass was in tiny blocks across the whole moonroof.

I wasn't driving behind a large vehicle, wasn't passing under a bridge or overpass, and wasn't near any tall buildings or structures from which an object could have been dropped onto the moonroof. Since the service centres are closed today, I'm not sure how much replacing the moonroof is going to cost. Has anyone else experienced something similar to this, on an X-trail or any other vehicle? Could this be a manufacturer's defect that I should be getting repaired for no charge?

Any comments or suggestions is appreciated. Thanks.

·
X-Trail Moderator
902 Posts
I am stumped!!!
never heard that before

Run that by your dealer and let us know what happens.

ValBoo.

·
Proud 2004 X-Trail Owner
691 Posts
First option: Waranty, then:

Don't know common insurance policies at Canada, but that could be another option.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Winterpeg said:
What was the temperature outside while you were driving? I wonder if there's an issue with extreme cold temps?
Calgary wasn't too bad yesterday. It was around -2 to 2, so I don't think it's related to extreme cold temps. Anyway, sorry to hear your shattered moonroof, hope dealer have stock and replace it as soon as possible. Don't forget to let us know what happen. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
aussietrail: The sunroof was stock and not tinted.

Just dropped it off at the dealer. They are going to investigate whether it can be covered under warranty but by the sounds of the service manager, it likely won't be since he's saying it's likely a rock that did the damage. I tried to convince him that there was basically no vehicles around me that could kick up a rock large enough to do that amount of damage. I guess I just have to wait to see what the outcome is. I'll keep you guys posted as soon as I get more information. Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
stx said:
They are going to investigate whether it can be covered under warranty but by the sounds of the service manager, it likely won't be since he's saying it's likely a rock that did the damage.
That's garbage! Don't let them do that to you.

How long (that day) were you driving the vehicle for before the moonroof shattered? I'm wondering if the vehicle was freezing cold (i.e. underground parking lot - not heated) then went into extreme sunlight. Is there more to the story?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pookczek said:
That's garbage! Don't let them do that to you.

How long (that day) were you driving the vehicle for before the moonroof shattered? I'm wondering if the vehicle was freezing cold (i.e. underground parking lot - not heated) then went into extreme sunlight. Is there more to the story?
It must have been 5 minutes from when I pulled out of the driveway (I don't have a garage so it was parked outside). It snowed a little the night before, but it was a bright and sunny 2 degrees in Calgary during the afternoon. The sunroof cover was wide open so when it shattered, I noticed it right away. There were two other passengers with me and neither of them saw any sort of flying rocks or objects so I just can't explain what happened. I honestly hope it was a rock and not a manufacturer's defect since I don't want something like this happening again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, the dealer just called me back. The damage to the sunroof is not covered under warranty and here is the price breakdown they gave me:

Glass: $880
Labour: $120
Cleanup of glass fragments in tracks: ~$100-$200

So, the total cost of repair is going to be about $1100. Quite expensive glass if you ask me. I've already initiated a claim with my insurance company so looks like I'll only have to pay the deductible. Still sucks though since there was basically nothing I could have done to prevent this from happening. Oh well, the most I can hope for is the repair is done right (seals don't leak) and this doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
301 Posts
If the X-Trail were sold in the US, you could search the NHTSA database for similar reports. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

Maybe there's an equivalent database in Australia, Japan or somewhere else the X-Trail is sold. You could also check discussion groups in, say, Britain or Australia to see if others have had this problem.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I spent a lot of time on Aussie, British and Asian X-Trail sites before and after getting my X-Trail, and this is the first and only mention of spontaneous sunroof self-destruction. I hope it stays that way, too. Horrible break for you stx, in more ways than one. Hope it gets resolved with no further hassle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Oh, man - that's horrible. I really feel for you.

Being the ultimate sceptic, I would keep the bill and keep on the forums/mailing lists for other reports.... just in case.

·
XTRAIL-HOLIC
2,228 Posts
I haven't heard of it happening to anyone in Australia either and I'm a member of 3 Aussie forums. This is truly an "Act of God" as our insurance companies would usually put it which also means that is something un-explainable and something that they will NOT cover under the insurance policy :) "This is not generally the case with cars and sunroofs though" :)

Good luck to you mate and make sure that your dealership workmanship in fitting the replacement sunroof is written and guaranteed.

I highly suspect a manufacturer's defect in your case with how it was fitted in Japan, but it is something that is very hard to prove.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the support and advice guys. Looks like the sunroof glass is pretty rare and has to come in from Japan. I'll check this forum regularly to ensure this is just an isolated incident, and not a defect with the X-Trail.
Cheers.

·
Nissan X-TRAIL Enthusiast
715 Posts
Dealer Memos from Nissan Canada

HI,

While having my 12K service checkup and oilchange... My dealer allowed me to see the Nissan Memos re X-Trail.... I am happy to report there are no recalls... problems... etc from east to west coast... not bad!!!

Stephen

·
Proud 2004 X-Trail Owner
691 Posts
Tomorrow I'll go to change my Sentra's Windshield, I'll ask the guys there if they know something similiar about X-Tys moonroof.

I've heard about 1 Xty moonroof crashed, but it was something that falls from a a building & lands there, cost ~US$1,200 but with Mex insurances we only pay 20% of the price.

My Sentra windshield will cost me just ~US19.99 installed, OEM brand

·
Registered
417 Posts
manuelga said:
... cost ~US$1,200 but with Mex insurances we only pay 20% of the price.
Yeowch! That reminds me to ask my insurance agent if it is covered under a glass package, and if its covered under all circumstances.

STX, are you just driving the XT with the shattered roof, or are you having to park it while you wait for the panel from Japan?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
manuelga said:
Tomorrow I'll go to change my Sentra's Windshield, I'll ask the guys there if they know something similiar about X-Tys moonroof.
Thanks, let me know what you find out.

ViperZ said:
STX, are you just driving the XT with the shattered roof, or are you having to park it while you wait for the panel from Japan?
My X-Trail is staying at the dealership until it gets repaired. Since the vehicle was not very secure and exposed to water damage, my insurance company decided it was best not to drive the vehicle. They have gotten me a rental for the time being.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts