Nissan Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just wondering, what about the vinyl? I noticed that the door piece was done, and if it held up. What about the dash itself that gets hit with most of the sun? Is there a paint that has some give in it, seeing as though you can push on the dash and it "dents" in, then takes its shape again due to the foam?

·
World Rally Blue Sentra
354 Posts
quentin508 said:
You are in the driver seat. you look at your radio, air controls, open slot, cup holders. The trim around that center stuff is what I want to paint. if you look at my car domain page ( http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/775251 ) you can see I painted the thing around my shifter because it is angled the paint was uneven and you can see little bumps. I have no experience painting other than what I've done in my car and I want to do this center piece trim but I want it to look right.

How can I make a nonflat surface's paint look smooth and flat.

please help
man, i got nasty rust in the same exact area! ><

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ok I painted the interior in my car and I had a BIG problem. The paint never fully dried and its still wet it's been like that for about 4 months. The paint is still as wet as the first day that I put it in. My theory is that it happened because I painted it in the sun but any other options. I painted it with krylon and I know its not the paint because I didn't have the same problem with my front doors or my dash.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Vinyle DYE

Another thing you could do for Plastics and viyl parts(even carpets and cloth) is Vinyl Dye. The stuff is awesome. I just did some parts Buckskin tan. The plastic soaks it up. Smell like s*** for a couple days but it dries to the touch in 5 mins. Wont ever chip or peel because its soaked into the part now.
Its perfect for vinyl (simulated leather) since you can bend it and wrinkle it with no problems. The finish has a stain sheen, pretty much an OEM finish. If you want really glossy, I would clear coat it after (wait 3 days before).
All you need to do is make sure no dirt or oil is on the part, so clean it with mineral spirits or something (definately worth it!).
I bought "VHT Vinyle Dye", its pretty good. Google it to find people that sell it and click on image search to get the color swatches.

Duplicolor makes some but it says on the back its not a dye but a surface paint.

I dont know about anyone else in California, but I couldnt find it in any stores here! Had to special order it through amazon.com.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I used Krylon Fusion on the hard plastic. its platic paint with flex in it. this worked great. Now you can't use this paint on the vinyl. this stays sticky and will not really cure! I used armour all on it and its helped, but don't do it!!

I also dyed the fabric with duplicolor fabric paint and it worked very well. its mostly air with paint and it goes right in. Does not come off on clothes either. I turned the grey SE-R buckets, instant black.

Buy Krylon at Wal-mart, and duplicolor at pep-boys

Chris 92 classic

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm going to HAVE to paint the top console in my car, I can't get the last two screws out of the top! It's a difficult area to get to, even when I get a good grip still can't get them. Some one torqued them down tight. So I'm going to tape off wind shield and what not, and paint in the car. (shrug) Any suggestions?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Also, SEM at amazon offers vinyl paint really cheap. I've only tried two coats and it scratches off easy, but I'm going to be ordering the low luster clear sealer from SEM too. That is unless the clear wheel coating is just as cheap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
is dupli-color the best when it comes to painting the fabric of your seats? does the end product look good? and do the seats feel soft afterwards? this would be way better than seat covers if it works right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When painting car interiors, you do not need to be as meticulous with prepping as you should be when painting the exterior body of a car.

The reason why is, most times you’re using simple spray cans to paint the interior.
Prepping for interior painting is also pretty easy. All you really need to do is make sure your surface is grease and dirt free. Clean it by using some thinner, or your basic wax and grease remover.

Once that is done, the next step is to mask off what you don’t want painted. This is where your personality comes to play. If you have a little patience and actually take your time and do a good job in masking, your job will look a heck of a lot cleaner and just more professional.

You will get some overspray but no problem. Just wipe it off with some thinner or reducer and re touch up if necessary.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The White dash looks good. I would advise being meticulous just because each step is going to make it look that much better. My buddy rushed his Z center console and it was soon rubbing off where your hands rub when turning A/C and radio controls. So he ended up having to do it again.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts