Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just finished painting all the pieces to my interior and it dried and after about 2 hours i checked them out and i lightly ran my finger nail across it just to see and the paint can up and it was a dry piece that had been clearcoated, did this happen because i didnt use enought clearcoat? or is this because that is just waht happens

·
Master of the 5th speed
147 Posts
I would just say you shouldnt have painted the interior to begin with, but you do what you like.

What kind of paint did you use? There is a certain kind of paint for interior parts, I guess its made to withstand heat, and whatever other conditions it has to.

Good luck.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Did you use a primer? You should go to a paint supply store that sells ppg or some other known brand and get some of their interior trim paint it withstands the heat and abuse (I paid about 10 bucks a can). They should also have a specific primer, that softens up the plastic so the paint will stick.

·
Oh, Herro!
2,337 Posts
Fast91SER said:
I would just say you shouldnt have painted the interior to begin with, but you do what you like.
Exactly.

Sounds like the paint didn't bond well. Did you use primer? Did you prep the surface or did you just spray and go?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i didnt use primer i just sanded and roughed up and the surface and i used the vinyl interior spray stuff ,my friends came out good and he didnt use primer so i didnt use any, so how should i fix this just use alot more clearcoat?

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you used armor all or any kind of protectant on a regular basis before painting, you'll need to use some good oil removing cleanser like alcohol or something to make the parts accept the paint better.

Primer won't even stick to an Oily surface, see? :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its not bad this morning i just put most of the pieces in my car and it was fine, i just needed to let it dry longer, its fine now

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
For future reference, use a plastic prep the clean the plastic up after you've roughed it up with paper or a scotchbrite. If it's on felxible vinyl, ask a paint shop about using a flex agent additive (this is if you're spraying the parts with a spray gun or airbrush) I used a product called Molecubond. It comes in aerosol cans and comes in quite a few colors. It used to be really expensive but I think it's come down in price. About the only place I've seen it is Wal-Mart. I used this to paint my truck interior and so far it's stuck like glue. I've used SEM products before and I think they suck. I'd only use SEM to dye carpet.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i just finished installing all my pieces i just have a little bit left of on the doors to paint but it came really good, i used a brillo pad thing to rough it up, and it did the trick its really nice ill post some pics tommarow

1 - 12 of 12 Posts