Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Has anyone here ever painted the interior trim of their pathys? For example parts of the dash, ac vents etc. If so what type of paint should I be using? and will the paint last in the sunlight during the summer or will it eventually fade?

Reason I'm asking is bc I purchased the Garmin dock for my pathfinder on ebay but they sent me the wrong color and instead of sending it back I thought of just painting the dock to match maybe the exterior of my truck or matching the paint of the rest of the interior. Thanks so much for your input.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dock is made of plastic like the rest of the interior dash. How many coats of paint would I need and how many coats of clear coat? I am using dupont rim paint & dupont clear coat to hopefully help withstand some of the heat that builds up during the summertime with the windows closed. Thanks for your help!

What's the dock made of?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
The dock is made of plastic like the rest of the interior dash. How many coats of paint would I need and how many coats of clear coat? I am using dupont rim paint & dupont clear coat to hopefully help withstand some of the heat that builds up during the summertime with the windows closed. Thanks for your help!
I would imagine paint made for plastic should be fine. Something from a paint shop should do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You'll need to use a paint that adheres to plastic and spray the plastic first with an adhesion promoter (unless the paint does not require it). If you use a standard base paint, it will come off easily and will not adhere to the surface properly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input everyone, would rim paint work? I was thinking of using about 6 coats of rim paint along with 3 coats of clear coat. Is that overkill?

I would imagine paint made for plastic should be fine. Something from a paint shop should do.
You'll need to use a paint that adheres to plastic and spray the plastic first with an adhesion promoter (unless the paint does not require it). If you use a standard base paint, it will come off easily and will not adhere to the surface properly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts