Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the PS quickshifter over the weekend. This is a pretty sweet little shifter for $60. Ordered from Nopi, and it came in 1 week! This, coupled with ES shifter bushing install a couple of weeks ago, make for a smooth shift. I adjusted the ball on the shifter to about 1/3rd the way down from top of threads, and was able to reinstall heat shield without cutting by using the trick someone mentioned earlier, 2 people standing on outside edge, and one standing in middle of shield. I then reused original shifter knob.
Shifter lever is about 1.5-2" shorter than original now, with shifts about 1" shorter as well.
This is a great upgrade for $70.00 total.

·
Registered
126 Posts
what trick were u talking about and where did u get the ES shifter bushing from? I'm probably going to install mine in about a week or so. I really want to get mine in there. how long did the install take u?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm curious too...

Share insight inyo the shifter trick. I saw early comments downplaying the pacesetter shifter but more current folks do say that with the ES bushing it works great and at $70 total in sounds good to me....Pablo

·
Registered
218 Posts
Equivocal said:
why do people buy the B&M one, when it is more then twice as much? does it matter?
The PS shifter reuses all of the OEM parts to support the fulcrum. The B&M shifter comes with a milled aluminum base for an even firmer shift feel. It really comes down to preference and dollars.

·
Registered
218 Posts
kristinspapi said:
So is there no real difference in performance or longevity/quality?
I am absolutely certain that there is a difference in longevity since there were several small cracks in the rubber socket that held my OEM shifter in place(these parts are reused by the PS shifter.) However, the wear rate of these rubber pieces will differ on everyone's car depending of shift frequency and climate. There are no rubber parts on the B&M shifter so this is only a potential problem for the PS shifter. BUT...in the long run, these rubber pieces shouldn't be too expensive to replace.

Note: this is from a 1997 model

As far as quality is concerend, B&M is a very high quality milled product that fits very well, comes with detailed installation instructions and an anodized aluminum base. My friend's PS shifter was also very well made and has the advantage of an adjustable shift ball.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The trick, which I believe I read on this forum a while back, has to do with the heat shield, which is located above the cat. convertor, on the underside of the car. This piece needs to be removed to get at the underside of the shifter mechanism. The PS shifter will stick down under the car further then the stock shifter, and bang up against this heat shield. Several people, and even the instructions from PaceSetter, mention cutting this shield to prevent it from banging on new shifter.
This heat shield is U shaped with flanges on the outside perimeter. Have 1 person stand on one side of the flange, and another stand on the other side of the flange, while someone stand on the middle, basically bending the middle down, which prevents it from hitting the shifter, without altering the distance the flanges are from one another, thereby allowing them to be reattached to original screw holes under car.
I picked up the ES bushing from Greg @ Mossy Nissan. The install took about 2 hours. The potential watch out, is getting the old, rusted nuts off the Cat. I would spray these the night before with WD40 so they come off easier the next day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts