Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 Sentra XE auto 92k miles

Yesterday I was driving for a while and the SEL came on. Also, I heard a whining/humming noise coming from the timing belt area only when the car was in gear. I went to Autozone to borrow a code scanner. I had 2 faults show up--both P1446 "Auxilery Emission Controls". I erased the faults to shut off the SEL. Today, after driving for a while again I heard the whining noise when in gear (if I shift to neutral or park the noise stops) and the SEL came on. I used the code scanner and the story was the same: 2 faults of P1446.

What causes this fault? I heard the gas cap could cause this so I checked it and it was tight.

·
nissan??? whats that
280 Posts
Depending on the sound of the noise there is a posibility that your alternator is going. But because the fact that you can still drive it and start it etc.. then that probably isnt the case. Timing chain guides or tensionors have been known to make weird noises when loose or malfunctioning or near 100K miles, i would take that into consideration. Also check your sparkplugs and wires if they are old, or Bosch, then you might want to get rid of them and buy some NGK's. There are many things that can be linked to weird noises comming from under the hood. just look around in there for something unusual and if you come up empty handed then it might be internal

·
Tune it
504 Posts
C
D
E
A

DTC P1446 EVAP CANISTER VENT CONTROL VALVE PFP:14935
Component Description UBS000BO
The EVAP canister vent control valve is located on the EVAP canister
and is used to seal the canister vent.
This solenoid valve responds to signals from the ECM. When the
ECM sends an ON signal, the coil in the solenoid valve is energized.
A plunger will then move to seal the canister vent. The ability to seal
the vent is necessary for the on board diagnosis of other evaporative
emission control system components.
This solenoid valve is used only for diagnosis, and usually remains
opened.
When the vent is closed, under normal purge conditions, the evaporative
emission control system is depressurized and allows “EVAP
Control System (Small Leak, Gross Leak, Very Small Leak)” diagnosis.
SEF381Z

EC-501

On Board Diagnosis Logic UBS000BQ
Malfunction is detected when EVAP canister vent control valve remains closed under specified driving conditions.
Possible Cause UBS000BR
 EVAP canister vent control valve
 EVAP control system pressure sensor and the circuit
 Blocked rubber tube to EVAP canister vent control valve
 Water separator
 EVAP canister is saturated with water
DTC Confirmation Procedure UBS000BS
CAUTION:
Always drive vehicle at a safe speed.
NOTE:
If “DTC Confirmation Procedure” has been previously conducted, always turn ignition switch “OFF” and wait at
least 10 seconds before conducting the next test.
WITH CONSULT-II
1. Turn ignition switch “ON”.
[QG18DE (EXC CALIF CA)]
DTC P1446 EVAP CANISTER VENT CONTROL VALVE
2. Select “DATA MONITOR” mode with CONSULT-II.
3. Start engine.
4. Drive vehicle at a speed of approximately 80 km/h (50 MPH) for
a maximum of 15 minutes.
NOTE:
If a malfunction exists, NG result may be displayed quicker.
5. If 1st trip DTC is detected, go to EC-504, "Diagnostic Procedure"
WITH GST
Follow the procedure “WITH CONSULT-II” above.
SEF201Y

This is the information I have in my Sentra CD-Rom. I'm not sure if you have the QG18DE motor (I didn't memorize every Nissan cars motor) If you got this code off the scanner then this is your problem. The codes are universal when applicable.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
where can i get EVAP Canister Vent Control Valve Spec-v 2004 in Toronto desides dealer that cost $150.00.
Same thing happened to me too with a 2004 1.8. You could probably get it from junkyard - check Standard Auto Wreckers - they have some 2003 Sentras there, number is 416 286-8686

·
Registered
69 Posts
Faja you da man.. i was going to check junk yard next. but is it safe to use senor from junk yards?? but ill will get a price see what the diff is.. thanks

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Faja you da man.. i was going to check junk yard next. but is it safe to use senor from junk yards?? but ill will get a price see what the diff is.. thanks
I have bought a few things from them in the past and had no problems. They give you 30-90 days warranty so I think you should be OK. Also try to talk them down on the price as they are willing to barter. Let me know how it goes or I can check a few other places for you. BTW, where in the Toronto area are you located?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well I installed the evap vent control valve, erased the code and drove the car. 12 miles later the light is back on again and it reads the same code P1446. now what? Bad gas cap maybe?

·
Registered
32 Posts
if it's closed it will cause you to spill gas during fillup but if it's open it shouldnt be a problem.
Yeah it keeps clicking off at the pump every 5-10 seconds so I know it's still closed. Now the project is to find out why it's still closed, I'm going to pull the evap canister and the water separator and try cleaning them and see what happens.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I pulled out the evap canister and the water separator and blew them out with my compressor and an air chuck. I also used the air chuck to blow the crap out of the gas cap as well. When I blew out the canister loose particles of carbon came out. I put everything back together and rest the MIL. I've driven the car 75 miles so far and the light has not come back on. My idle is also smoother and the engine seems to have better throttle response. I now can get it inspected and have it pass the emissions test finally, thank god. Tomorrow morning I go for gas and hopefully the pump will not keep shutting off while I'm trying to pump gas.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts