Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So check this out. My check engine light came on a couple days ago so I stopped at Checker Auto and checked the code. The code that shows up is P0705 - Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction (PRNDL input) – I called The Nissan dealer & they said that since it’s a transmission problem I’m covered under my 60,000 mile powertrain warranty. Sweet! Just made it by 350 miles!
Now, today after work I dropped the car off at the dealer to have it fixed. I just got a phone call from the tech and he says it’s not covered under warranty & I need to change out both my tail light assemblies…. He says I have moisture in my taillights, which are shorting out my transmission shift sensor. Hasn’t rained for 2 months... I live in the desert… I haven’t washed my car in over 6 months… Any mechanics out there agree with this guy’s diagnosis? In less than a week I’ll be over 60,000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What did you end up doing, did you get them replaced. I am having the same issue P0705, they are saying i need both of mine replaced. Seeing what you did before i try replacing them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi first time on this forum :)

Any update on this "shanesuan" or "lastoneleft_00", did cleaning the contacts on the tail light assemblies fix the issue ???

Just got back from dealership with my 2012 Versa, check engine light from TCM giving code P0705, dealership said
"corrosion in wiring for stop lamp assemblies (tail lamps), if check engine light returns would require replacement of both tail light assemblies for $439+tax, tail lights not covered under extended warranty"
The dealership reset the code and it came back on even whilst I was at dealership.

The dealership said they "would" order the parts "just in case" I wished go ahead with the service at a later date, service would take approx 1hr.

Reading your comments "shanesuan", the dealership didn't even suggest cleaning the contacts !!! If it's a simple matter of cleaning the contacts did this simple fix work well or looking online for replacement tail light assemblies myself showing $40-50 each side - a FAR cry from the quoted $439+tax. I have changed bulbs before and know all too well how to remove the tail light assemblies.

AND - I had to pay $50 for the "check engine light diagnostic" (wasn't happy with this at all - used some of my nissan one2one points to cover this stupid charge!) and was told I would get the $50 back if I went ahead with the service, thus lowering the stop lamp assemblies fix to $389+tax.

Any advice ?

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,256 Posts
Sounds like a shady dealership. The tail light circuit is not even part of the park/neutral/position (PNP) switch.
According to the FSM, check the following items:

● Harness for short or open between ignition switch and PNP switch.
● Harness for short or open between PNP switch and TCM.
● Harness for short or open between combination meter and PNP switch.
● Harness for short or open between combination meter and TCM.
● 10A fuse (No.51, located in the IPDM E/R)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the prompt reply "rogoman", I plan to take check the contacts and harness for any obvious shorts and swap both tail light assemblies out, I have access to another same model versa so I plan to do a swap of the parts.

My local Nissan dealership has been somewhat good over the years, boy oh boy do they "push push push" you to fill out the Nissan satisfaction surveys, so much so I have been told to fill out and give 100% on multiple occasions - I don't fill them out anymore as if they are telling customers to give 100% its all false, plus they say if you are going to give them less than perfect to contact them so they can "resolve" the issue.

I think in this instance the dealership is shoveling it to me... they know I cant get an inspection sticker in a few months because of the check engine light, my back tail lights work 100% (tested at the dealership) - plus why didn't they check the contacts like "shanesuan" dealership performed.

I plan to check the contacts myself this labor day weekend, do the swap and inspect the harness for obvious shorts and see what happens - do I need to get the check engine light reset or will it magically go away on its own ?

·
Registered
357 Posts
<they "push push push" you to fill out the Nissan satisfaction surveys, so much so I have been told to fill out and give 100% on multiple occasions> <they are telling customers to give 100% its all false, >

They do the same thing here in VA. Sales and service depts.

If you do find a contact issue (and remedy it), clear the codes.

Keep us posted please.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Contacts looks good on both tail light assemblies. Im just at a loss that replacing the tail light assemblies will "fix" the problem. Yes, "Car guy", my next step is to clear the code and try to swap the tail lights from a similar car and see what happens, didn't get to do that yesterday. Will keep you posted.

As for the surveys, every 2-3 days I get a survey email reminder, I just ignore them (they go to a secondary email address). They even called my wife to ensure that we got the survey email.

·
Registered
357 Posts
<As for the surveys, every 2-3 days I get a survey email ... They even called ...>

Yeah, and here, once the dealers get the address, they mail and mail ... immediately and for years after purchase ... and sell the info to other car dealers who then mail and mail. Somehow they also got a phone # (not primary), and ambush market that way. Never gave an email address, so at least that's a safe refuge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
wow so I have a nissan versa 2013 47000 miles the light came on and the code reads PO705 I took it to nissan dealer and 545.00 later and both full tail lights replaced because of moister in the tail lights. Drove the car about 1 month and the light is back on and also the left blinker bulb kept burning out. Now 10/2019 took it to shop and replace a brake light switch another 210.08 bill. ( it would not pass inspection with out the part replaced)
So if we are all having same problem why isnt Nissan doing a recall on these parts? I won't buy another just because so many people are having the same issue and nothing is being done or is it ? Anyone know of a recall on this problem tail lights with water ? thanks in advance for help

1 - 11 of 11 Posts