Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Nissan Frontier 4L, 2-wheel drive. One day two weeks ago I had a couple of codes pop up. One was a knock sensor code, the other one was a missfire on cylinder 5, and a catalytic converter problem. I thought the knock sensor would be easy to get to. So I pull off the intake phlegm. I got all new plugs and coil packs. Remove the phlegm and didn't realize that the knock sensor was underneath the intake manifold. Went ahead and removed the intake manifold and found that a mouse had eaten through the wires of the knock sensor. Rewired and replaced the knock sensors, then replaced the plugs and coil packs got everything together Still showed a code for the catalytic converter. After going to a shop nearby and was told it would be about $1,000 I said, let me try this. Ordered an aftermarket catalytic converter. After some problems finally got it in. I was so happy, reset all the codes. No problem. Smooth idle, smooth pretty good acceleration in the city. But when I got out onto the highway, I had good acceleration up to 3000 RPM then slight coughing and sputtering. And the check engine light started to flash but after I got on to level ground the flashing one away. After playing with it I found that everything was smooth out to about 3,000 RPM. Got home and checked my codes again. Now I have a p 0300 code, stating I have a random misfire. I'm kind of at a loss, any ideas?

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,431 Posts
P0300 is a pretty general code and can be caused by a number of things. It would help if you had a cylinder identifier, like you did with the P0305 code. You might want to check the resistance of #5 fuel injector, if you can get at it. Testing the fuel pressure would be a good idea. Sometimes cam position sensors or crank position sensors can fail, especially when they get hot, and cause misfiring, stalling and/or no start incidents and not always trigger a trouble code. When you replace ignition parts, like coils and plugs or sensors, it's best to stick with genuine Nissan or OE parts, like NGK, NTK, Denso, or Hitachi. FYI, knock sensors won't cause a drivability issue, like misfiring. They can set a code due to any engine knock, such as that caused by a misfire, or circuit issues (shorts or "opens," like you found with the rodent damage), but that just means it's working and not necessarily a pad sensor. So, if a knock sensor code is with another code, concentrate on the other code and ignore the knock sensor code. A knock sensor that is triggered usually won't turn the light on, unless it is an open or shorted circuit issue, as it was in your case. If you installed anything but NGK or Denso spark plugs, I'd consider replacing them NGK 6240's.

·
Registered
45 Posts
On the mouse chewing issue...

Spray a bit of WD40 around in the engine compartment - especially areas where they can chew wiring. I wouldn't drench the area - but a good stiff amount will deter them. they just don't like the smell or taste of it. They are aggravating little beasts and will chew up anything. I had a mouse chew through the leather boot on the parking brake. Tiny hole - less than size of a dime. I discovered the intrusion by getting a face full of chewed insulation in mid-july when i turned on the AC. Ugh! (that's not really what i said - but then I don't want to distract from the message! lol)

FWIW - I had a rat chew half-way through the main engine compartment cable. it took me a few days to sort out all the wires - THANKS to the resources available here. I put it all back together - and fired her up. Not even a single code popped up. Whew!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts