Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1995 Nissan 200SX SE (1.6) 160K miles

Yesterday my car was having some issues with the rotor and I bought a new one, replaced the distributor cap just in case and I had about 3 months ago (or less) replaced the wire set and spark plugs. But when I went to start up my car in wouldn't start, it wanted too and apparently it started when the engine had cooled off but it would not go forward.

I rented the OBDII Code Reader from autozone and these are the codes that came back.

P0136 O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

P0400 EGV Valve (sensor) problem. I don't know where it is located and have not worked on it before.

P0500 I replaced the speed sensor and don't have problems with my odomoter.

Could any of these problems cause my car not to move and only start when it is cooled off? I need my car to get to work and don't have the money at all to send it to a mechanic, any help (advice) is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hmm sounds electrical to me for sure. I can't say exactly whats going on but I don't think those codes would cause the car not to start when hot?? Do you have spark when it won't start?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It was doing that at first, but now it'll start and I can move it but it does the same thing it did before I replaced the rotor. After a little while it kind of sputurs (gas pump, filter, etc.. are ok, first things I checked). The odd thing is that it that problem didn't show up on the OBDII Code Reader before. It must be my distributor.

Thanks schoust.

Ps. It did have a spark when it wouldn't start, it sounded like something was blocking it from not starting properly.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Pretty odd if those causes the car not starting. My speed sensor isn't working at the moment but car rans fine. I think that it should atleast start but maybe (just maybe) be running on some emergency status...

Miss information from O2 should only affect to fuel consumption and EGR shoul be only affecting to emissions so.... I don't understand why those codes should prevent car not to start.

- No-Pain -

·
Registered
313 Posts
After tossin g this around a bit it might be a distributer issue? I'm no Nissan expert but intermitant spark can be a lot of differant things? The one good thing about this vintage Nissan is they are preaty plentiful in the bonyard and so are the parts..... Ask me how I know Lol! I just came from ther lOl!! Me and a whole bunch of non english speaking Dudes that is Lol!! I always tell my sons what ever it takes and there is NO such thing is I can't!!!

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
I had the 0400, part thread below..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacktime
I read my OBDII and got codes P0340 & P0400
Something to do with the Exhuast gas recirculation (p0400) and cam position sensor A (p0340). What is causing me to lose speed and cause my car to choke at 3000 rpm

I have the P0400 code, EGR and EGR temp sensor.
I searched here (hint hint) and found that the rubber hose under the EGR-BPT falls apart and is a common cause.
Sure enough mine was rotten and had a hole, this is a small hose with a right angle bend. I tried a straight hose replacement but it collapsed.
From the dealership this was part 14755-0B701 at 10.79 list.
Replaced it but have not reset the ECU or done enough miles and restarts to reset it yet.
Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts