Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1996 Nissan 200SX SER (2.0) 157K miles

I just bought the OBDII Code Reader from Pepboy (OTC Stinger),
here are I I found (check engine light is on)

P0136 O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
I already purchased the front O2 sensor, how do I know this is
not the code for the back sensor?

P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Dectected
Any tip on how to fix this?

P0325 Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Malfuntion (Bank1 of single sensor)
I probably need to let my mechanic to replace this .
Does anyone know how many knock sensor does this car has?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
Edit: changed P0125 to P0325

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
FmrLCpl said:
1996 Nissan 200SX SER (2.0) 157K miles

I just bought the OBDII Code Reader from Pepboy (OTC Stinger),
here are I I found (check engine light is on)

P0136 O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
I already purchased the front O2 sensor, how do I know this is
not the code for the back sensor?
This is the rear O2 sensor. Sensor 1 is the front. The Bank applies if you have a V6. Then there is Bank 1 and Bank 2. In an I4 there is only Bank 1.

FmrLCpl said:
P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Dectected
Any tip on how to fix this?
It is often due to a bad spark plug or plug wire

FmrLCpl said:
P0125 Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Malfuntion (Bank1 of single sensor)
I probably need to let my mechanic to replace this .
Does anyone know how many knock sensor does this car has?
Are you sure this is correct? The Factory Service Manual says that P0125 is the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor. The Knock Sensor gives P0325.

EDIT: Oh. I see it is a typo. The Title of the thread says P0325. There is one knock sensor. Check the connector. Sometimes just disconnecting and reconnecting fixes the fault. Otherwise, it is not difficult to replace. It is a round gizmo attached to the block with a bolt through the center, and an electrical connector on the side.

Lew

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi lshadoff,

" It is often due to a bad spark plug or plug wire "
I just recently changed the spark plugs (Bosch patinum),
ignition wire, cap, and rotor.

".. There is one knock sensor. Check the connector. Sometimes just disconnecting and reconnecting fixes the fault. Otherwise, it is not difficult to replace. It is a round gizmo attached to the block with a bolt through the center, and an electrical connector on the side..."

Could the misfire of the first cylinder caused the knock sensor to go bad?

Is it possbile that after fixing the misfire, reset the code, the knock sensor
would not cause the "engine light" on again?

Is the knock sensor accessible from the open the hood, or one has to get under the car to do it?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
FmrLCpl said:
Hi lshadoff,

" It is often due to a bad spark plug or plug wire "
I just recently changed the spark plugs (Bosch patinum),
ignition wire, cap, and rotor.
People have had problems with Bosch spark plugs in the SR20. They don't seem to last very long. NGK is the plug brand of choice.

FmrLCpl said:
".. There is one knock sensor. Check the connector. Sometimes just disconnecting and reconnecting fixes the fault. Otherwise, it is not difficult to replace. It is a round gizmo attached to the block with a bolt through the center, and an electrical connector on the side..."

Could the misfire of the first cylinder caused the knock sensor to go bad?
No. The knock sensor is a microphone which listens for detonation. It is not affected by the ignition system (unless you connect a spark plug wire to it, I guess :rolleyes: ). Dropping it will destroy it, though.

FmrLCpl said:
Is it possbile that after fixing the misfire, reset the code, the knock sensor would not cause the "engine light" on again?
Anything is possible. It's not likely, though.

FmrLCpl said:
Is the knock sensor accessible from the open the hood, or one has to get under the car to do it?
You need to get underneath.

Note: The FSM also suggests to loosen and retighten the engine ground screws to possibly fix the KS. That's easy and worth a try.

Lew

·
Peek-a-boo....
1,717 Posts
For reference, i still have the FSM for the Sentra/200sx cars, covering both the 1.6L ga16de, and the 2.0L SR20de hosted on my site.....its about 40 megs, and its a zipped PDF file.

http://www.nelp.net/slayer/FSM.zip

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lshadoff said:
No. The knock sensor is a microphone which listens for detonation. It is not affected by the ignition system (unless you connect a spark plug wire to it, I guess :rolleyes: ). Dropping it will destroy it, though.

Anything is possible. It's not likely, though.

Lew
I un-plugged and re-seated the ignition wire to cyl #1, cleared the code, several days and 200 miles later, read the code again, only P0136 (O2 sensor) show up.

I'm thinking P0125 (knock sensor) was on because it dectected some loud noise caused by P0301 (cyl#1 misfire), now that the misfire was fixed, there is no reason for P0125 to come up.

·
Registered
239 Posts
A lot of times, or I should say the majority of the time 0325 (knock sensor) code is a ghost code. Meaning that it doesn't really mean anything. I know the only time I find the knock sensor code is if I'm pulling other codes. I've never gotten only 0325 alone triggering the CEL.

In other words, I wouldn't worry about it. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
service engine soon light on with error code 301-2003 Nissan frontier 2.4 engine. Light remains on constantly until outside temperature drops then it starts blinking then back to steady then back to blinking again. wires , plugs, distributor cap , and fuelfilter have been replaced. Help

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
9,850 Posts
service engine soon light on with error code 301-2003 Nissan frontier 2.4 engine. Light remains on constantly until outside temperature drops then it starts blinking then back to steady then back to blinking again. wires , plugs, distributor cap , and fuelfilter have been replaced. Help
Obviously there's a misfire on cylinder #1. It could be a number of things causing it, including a faulty fuel injector, intake gasket leak at the #1 intake runner, or even a bad head gasket. You should really post this in the Frontier section.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts