Nissan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went through some threads here already seen the similar problem.
Code P0021 INTAKE (A) camshaft position timing over advanced bank (2)
I've changed oil+filter , both cam sensors, crank sensor, and both solenoids.
I can drive it for about 12-15 miles then he hesitates and I have no more power, when I come to complete stop it stalls. It will fire right back up but still no power, when I erase the code again (P0021) it fire up and I can drive it again like nothing wrong. And then the same thing happens again.
I've owned pathfinders since 2002 and this one has me stumped...
Any thoughts??

·
Admin and Sup Mod keeping the peace
8,371 Posts
According to the FSM for your vehicle, the cause could be due to any of the following:
• Crankshaft position sensor (POS)
• Camshaft position sensor (PHASE)
• Intake valve timing control solenoid valve
• Accumulation of debris to the signal pick-up portion of the camshaft
• Timing chain installation
• Foreign matter caught in the oil groove for intake valve timing control

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've replaced the first 3 (sensors+Solenoid valves on both sides)
Engine has a slight click to it.
What is the signal pick-up portion of camshaft?

When I first start it it has a rattle in motor but immediately goes away within 2-5 seconds (assuming after oil gets flowing) but still has the slight click sound.

It's. 03 pathfinder LE with 190,000 miles.

·
Admin and Sup Mod keeping the peace
8,371 Posts
The signal pickup plate is on the rear of the intake camshaft for each bank. There may be an accumulation of debris on the signal plate of the camshaft rear end or chipping of the signal plate. If it looks dirty, remove the debris and clean the signal plate.

Well, if you're getting a rattle when you first start the engine, then the oil pressure may be low coming off the oil pump affecting the IVT/solenoid valves which could be caused by several factors. Worn rod/main bearings. Plugged up oil filter. Dirty oil pickup. Most of the time it's the oil pump which may be worn and not producing the proper oil pressure/volume.

You can check the pressure very easily by installing a temporary mechanical oil pressure gauge. You would remove the oil sensor which is located next to the oil filter and install the mechanical oil pressure gauge in it's place; you may need to get an 1/8 BSPT to 1/8 NPT adapter to hook up the gauge.

With the engine fully warmed up, the pressure should be as follows:
idle - at least 14 psi
2000 RPM - 43 psi

·
Registered
3 Posts
Installing a temporary oil pressure gauge is easy. Remove the oil sensor adjacent to the oil filter and install the mechanical oil pressure gauge in its stead. You may require a 1/8 BSPT to 1/8 NPT adaptor to connect the gauge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts