Nissan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Either one or both of the O2 sensors on my SE-R are boned. I'm getting alright mileage (23 mpg on a good week), but I had the codes read a while back and they're both reporting problems.

Figure I'll actually test the one on the exhaust manifold, since that seems to be the one that drives bad mileage, and apparently what I think is "bad" is in line with what the car is supposed to get, so there might not be a problem. (You just have to peel back a bit of the plastic sheathing on the sensor wires to get access to them, right?)

As for the one downstream of the cat... it's kinda dangling free/wedged into my underframe, because the tip is melted and the hole in the cat where it was supposed to go is welded shut. So it's bad.

Anyway, I have 3 actual questions: First, are there any universal replacements for the O2 sensors, and if so, where do I get them? All I've been able to track down are the NTK sensors, and the ones you can get straight from Nissan. Second, if I get a universal cat to replace my old one, will I have to drill a hole for the new sensor? Third, is there a universal cat?

I'm not overly concerned with having everything OEM, just so long as it runs well and doesn't eat my wallet.

·
F.I. Section Whore
896 Posts
Apparently a member on these forums bought a Bosch Universal O2 sensor and spliced and rewired the old wires and the new Bosch ones together, and it was $15. I'm not sure if it was for a GA16DE or an SR20DE, though.. I think he got the sensor at an auto parts store (Pep Boys or AutoZone). And note this: the O2 sensors that come stock on your car are Bosch! So, no need to go straight to Nissan, just head to an auto parts store (Nissan will probably overcharge you a nice bit). If you are over 100k, it's just generally a good idea to replace the O2 sensors. I've still gotta replace mine..

As for the other stuff, I do not know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Alberta, Canada. I'm not sure what the standards are like, but I don't remember ever having either of my cars in for an emissions check in the four years I've owned a vehicle.

Edit: FWIW, Bosch's website only lists the before-cat sensors for 1995-97, but for 1998 lists pre- and post-cat both. Was the exhaust system actually different that year?

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
Well you can get just about any after market cat. I would suggest taking your sensors into parts house and matching them up since you have confusion.
If the after market cat doesnt have a bung for an o2 sensor, you can have any local muffler shop weld one in for you pretty cheap. Under twenty bucks, usda. Then they will more than likely have to weld the cat onto the system as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts