Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw several posts about overheating, but wondered if anyone ever saw these symptoms, because I'm about to ram this thing into a tree.

I have a 2003 Nissan Sentra GXE 1.8L.

- Car overheats when going up hills.
- Does not overheat when idling
- Does not overheat when driving on level surfaces at reasonable speeds.
- If we stop on the hill, it will get hotter even though we are no longer moving.
- Once we peak the hill, the gauge goes down.
- Once its hot from a hill, it overheats very easily after that.
- If it overheats again after a hill, I rev the engine while driving, and when I let up on the gas pedal, the needle drops back down for a while.
- When we stop, the engine is very hot, and the coolant is boiling.
- The oil looks fine and there doesn't seem to be any steam in the exhaust to make think it is a blown head gasket.

I have:
flushed the lines,
replaced the radiator cap,
replaced the thermostat,
replaced the water pump.
torn almost all of my hair out.

After replacing the water pump, it seems like it doesn't get AS hot, but it is still overheating the same way.

Oh if anyone could offer any insight I would be thrilled. The next step was testing the radiator at the mechanics, and I am running out of money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
OMG I have the same problem with my Nissan Pulsar i wanted to make a new post so everyone can respond I havent figured out how! My car overheats I need help because I m goib insane tryna figure out what to do!So could you show me how to do a new post

·
Registered
1 Posts
Definately try to flush the lines and slow fill your radiator fluid. If there is even the tiniest bubble in the lines it will overheat like a sun lamp. Leave your car running with the cap off and it will puch any and all bubbles you then make sure you put more fluid in when the bubbles escape.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New update but no solution: replaced hoses, flushed system, bled air. SES light is on with "Low Fuel Sensor A 5" code, which looks to be nonsense? Sanded grounds and battery contacts, replaced temp sensor, checked all fuses. Replacing the temp sensor cut the SES light off, and it ran OK for one trip, then SES light was back on and its overheating again, though not as much.
Only overheats on turns now - needle jumps very suddenly, and then way back down within a minute, but is definately getting hot. The more it happens, the longer it takes to recover until it's all bad.
Seems like its not reading the hot temp soon enough?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Is there anyway to test the ecu? Is the turn a hard turn or just the wheels turning? Pretty much does it over heat when turning slow or fast? Auto or manual.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,227 Posts
Sounds like a leaking head gasket to me, you get gas in the cooling system, causes heater to be cold, hot spots in the engine and head, worse under load. Boils due to lack of coolant circulation, Air pockets.
Maybe a coolant test for gases / acid will confirm.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i like what ian said i dont know what else it would be, some autoparts stores sell test strips that all you got to do is put it in the coolant and depending on the product it will change colors to show if there are hydrocarbons (gas) in your coolant. i dont know however why the engine light came on for a fuel fuel light or how that relates?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would check the exhaust system for a restriction or blockage only when going uphill or due to momentum -maybe a breakdown in the converter or muffler.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts