Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guy's today was the first day that I filled the fuel tank on my new to me 96 Sentra. What was very disturbing was I topped of the tank as I always do on every fill up with every vehicle I own. But this time I ended up with a heavy smell of gas?? Well I drove up the road a couple of miles to a store and got out and looked under the car and right wear the fuel lines go into the plastic tracking headed towards the front of the vehicle there was fuel leaking? Almost like there was a vent line that overflowed there?? I can't imagine that a vent line would be anywhere near there because the exhaust pipe was in close proximity?? What the heck happened hear? Did I simply overfill the tank or is there a bigger problem???

·
Registered
430 Posts
my car's a 92 and it does fine when i let the gas station pump fill it by itself.

what turns off the pump is the fuel coming up to the pump nozzle, then it shuts itself off.

this is why sometimes you get a pump that won't stay on by itself..
the fuel keeps coming up and turning it off..

i've had a lot of times though where the fuel will come out of the tank inlet and run down the side of the paint... never good if you're wanting your paint to last.. but i attributed it to the inlet just fillin up too fast w/ escaping air in the way.

there's a chance that the fuel could have ran down the outside of the inlet and further down, but you need to check the trail of where it went to..

get up under there. you'll be able to track it cuz with it being an older car there's a sh!tload of dust under there.. allowing you to follow the fuel trail.

that'll let you know if there's a leak or if you just overflowed from the inlet.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it seems like I still smell the gas? I crawled under the car when I got home and it looks like it's coming from right where the rubber lines meet the metal lines? I have to get the thing up on the lift so I can check it out more thoroughly......

·
Registered
430 Posts
that'd be a good thing to check out, but for ease of mind... i don't think that at the back of the exhaust, the heat on the pipe or muffler is hot enough to hit the flash point of the fuel...

i think the fuel would just burn off like oil, but i don't want to say that and be wrong for your safety.. lol.

what i mean by flash point, is that all things have a particular temperature at which they will ignite WITHOUT a catylst such as fire or spark.

tis why it's so hard to start a fire off certain things.

i trully don't know man if fuel can catch fire off just hitting the exhaust.

but if anything what you can do is cut the fuel line further down and use a double nipple to connect a new hose onto it, and then onto the tank.

just be sure you've got some sort of plug for the tank while doing the hose repair.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yae I hear ya I looked again last night and the only thing I can think of is maybe when I was forcing more fuel in that actually preasurized things a little causing fuel to leak from somthing in that area? It's right where the rubber conect to the steel lines in that little plastic trough area? All I can say is the smaell of fuel is nasty... i wish I had a lift....

·
Registered
430 Posts
don't we all..

hmm.. what year you say it was?

any chance the steel line is corroded?

might want to find a way to do a direct rubber line to the tank..

that makes it easy for DIY. if you've ever got a prob, then you just cut the line a re route it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
might not be easy to do though if it's leaking right where it attaches to the tank.

you'd have to drop, drain, and clean the tank before being able to do work on it. if it's a little ways away from the tank indention you were talking about, there's a chance you could just use a small pipecutter and get up in there, but it won't be easy at all, if you can even fit a hand in there.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya I know what your saying very tight! But it's starting to get worse I think this is the cause of my hard start issue when cold? I have to crank and crank. I'm thinking that there is a line that is got a leak and thenwhen the car is off it all drains back to the tank thus a hard start condition? I am also starting to think this is the reason for the very slow performance. The midrange of this engine is the worst I have ever experianced! It runs like a top though?? Well I better stop talking about it and get out there and check it out,i jsut wish it wasn't 100 degrees out!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts