Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My budy just did an Auto to 5 spd swap I was wondering with the overdrive. I don't actualy know what is affected when overdrives on/off all I know is that the rpms are higher when its off. but wit his 5spd conversion done what happens to the overdrive is it possible to be left on could he be losseing power?? because of it

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
240droptop said:
My budy just did an Auto to 5 spd swap I was wondering with the overdrive. I don't actualy know what is affected when overdrives on/off all I know is that the rpms are higher when its off. but wit his 5spd conversion done what happens to the overdrive is it possible to be left on could he be losseing power?? because of it
Overdrive is a function of automatic transmissions. A manual transmission has no overdrive.

·
Tarmac Terrorist
272 Posts
240droptop said:
so over drive is affected threw the tranny alright
Overdrive is just that (Overdrive) just a gear that slips in that makes the flywheel spin slower and give the same amount of speed.
Overdrive is supposed to be only used for highway driving, so, if you are at a stop light planning on going on the highway soon, put the vehicle in OD and take off.
In a manual tranny, 5th gear is an overdrive gear of sorts, it is mainly designated for highway speeds.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The old system for the automoatic tranny is no longer functional, so any switches or lights from the auto mean nothing.

Overdrive is simply a gear whos ratio is below 1. This means that for 1 spin of the flywheel, the output shaft will turn more than once. In a 240sx 5 spd, there is no little extra gear than slips in for overdrive (some vehicles have a multiplier gear for overdrive), the fifth gear is the overdrive gear, because it's ratio is less than 1:1

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
K-1 said:
The old system for the automoatic tranny is no longer functional, so any switches or lights from the auto mean nothing.

Overdrive is simply a gear whos ratio is below 1. This means that for 1 spin of the flywheel, the output shaft will turn more than once. In a 240sx 5 spd, there is no little extra gear than slips in for overdrive (some vehicles have a multiplier gear for overdrive), the fifth gear is the overdrive gear, because it's ratio is less than 1:1
Exactly, there is no traditional "overdrive gear" that functions in addition to the transmission gear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts