Nissan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm trying to wrap my head around the quote that the dealer provided. Here is what they wrote down

"Needs front sway bar links, needs rear sway bar links and bushings. Oil Cooler seal is leaking onto exhaust - fire hazard, needs alignment with suspension work. Needs oil change with oil cooler repair. Advise fuel system service with repairs."

The price they quoted my sister was $2500!!!!

I had a look at the sway bar links and the boot isn't torn and there really isn't any play from what I can tell. In any case I've soaked the bolts with PB blaster and will wait a day before presoaking again after which I will attempt to replace these. As long as I get the bolts off this doesn't appear to be a major job at least on the suspension. Now the oil cooler I don't know if I can get to the hose clams while jacked up on the ground but I will try.

I am just asking if there is something I am missing here for such a high price tag before I get started on replacing these parts.

Thanks

·
Admin and Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,675 Posts
What year and what engine is in the car? You're on the right track of fixing everything you can yourself. The Stealership may to scamming your sister. Get a second opinion!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply. For the oil cooler I see there is a gasket that is attached to the block. This one I actually replaced a few years ago.

From this video however I see there is another one that is inside the cooler:

I assume that I have to replace both of these. I found another video where the person took the oil cooler off the block and was then able to get to the cooler lines a bit easier. I'll get the parts tomorrow and install later this week.

Thanks again

·
Admin and Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,675 Posts
Thanks for the reply. For the oil cooler I see there is a gasket that is attached to the block. This one I actually replaced a few years ago.

From this video however I see there is another one that is inside the cooler:

I assume that I have to replace both of these. I found another video where the person took the oil cooler off the block and was then able to get to the cooler lines a bit easier. I'll get the parts tomorrow and install later this week.

Thanks again
It's amazing that some of these Stealerships get away with this BS:

"I'm trying to wrap my head around the quote that the dealer provided. Here is what they wrote down

"Needs front sway bar links, needs rear sway bar links and bushings. Oil Cooler seal is leaking onto exhaust - fire hazard, needs alignment with suspension work. Needs oil change with oil cooler repair. Advise fuel system service with repairs."

The price they quoted my sister was $2500!!!!"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If you did have to replace the oil cooler, price would have been only $400+. What's the old saying - Buyer beware!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I replaced the oil cooler gaskets yesterday. I did it without disconnecting the cooling lines. It was just a little pain maneuvering around the cooler to get to the top 4 screws but with a small ratchet it is possible. I marked one side with white out on the top and bottom so I knew the orientation would be correct on the reinstall. Obviously I couldn't fit a torque wrench in that spot but I did get it on tight but not overboard with it. I ran the car for about 15 minutes and no leaks.

Thanks for the help. I'm onto the sway bar links next.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts