Nissan Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm almost afraid to even ask this question. There seems to be alot of domestic bashing going on :) .

Anyway I come in peace. I think 300 ZX TT's are very nice cars and have anything bad to say about them at all. I don't think my car is "the shit" or anything like that, although I do like it alot. I just need to get some qualified opinions on this matter.
A young guy ( 23 yrs old or something ) just started working where my wife works and somehow they got on the subject of cars. She mentioned that I have a WS6 and he mentioned that his '91 300ZX TT would beat it in a standing start 1/4 mile. The only mods to his car that he's mentioned are some kind of chip and a new downpipe/ exhaust system. I took a ride in his car and it felt pretty strong, then we took a ride in my car and then he seemed a little less positive, but still wants to race me. I couldn't really tell which one felt stronger. Being in the passenger seat and driving are 2 differant feeliings entirely.
What kind of rwhp do you think his mods will give him ? I'm putting down 338 rwhp with mine without Nitrous. He mentioned that just a chip and differant exhaust gives him an extra 120 rwhp . Is this true ? I know turbo cars are easy to add hp to, I just didn't think they were that easy:D
Anyway much respect to all and I appreciate any info ..... who do you think will win in a drag race ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You are gonna kill him, he's gonna need a little more than just a chip and a downpipe to win...

·
Yea, I'm a freak..
560 Posts
I think overall he would be calling you "Daddy" in the end. Granted he has a TT that makes some decent hp#'s, you would have more TRQ. Plus you hit your max HP/TRQ around 2500rpm I think...? where as he has to run it up alot higher to reach his max.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A chip and exaust an extra 120 HP? I seriously doubt it, factory cars are not that lame.

Since he's still running a "small" turbo, he is probably putting out a decent power band, as opposed to ultra high HP numbers but extremely narrow band, where 800 RWHP gets some guy in the 10s with a small engine car, 470 RWHP will get an NA car a [email protected] with a good driver (and some slicks).

Aren't those cars in the 15s from the factory? With that in mind, I'd say you have a good chance, although I dont know the weight difference of a WS6 versus a Camaro, there are LS1 cars in the 12s stock, and Z06s touching 11s (one guy I know broke a half shaft in the 11s stock).

Driver and transmission type will play some type of role also, but if a good driver neither matters so much. There are people in the 10s that still prefer stick.

LS1 torque peak is actually a little high (compared to my LT1), definately a more modern style engine in its powerband. One nice thing about smaller turbos is excellent torque output, but I suppose we'll find out after the 'race'.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, 300ZXTTs have TWO small turbos, not one - hence the TT part in the name. :) And no, they're about 14 flat stock, pretty far from the 15s. The nice thing about stock turbo systems is that that are extremely easy to modify for more power - a new chip means his boost got turned up and the exhaust system definitely helps.

With that being said, I think the WS6 will win. They're faster to begin with, and a chip and exhaust system on the 300ZX will absolutely not come anywhere near a 120 HP increase. I'd say 40-50 HP at the most, which still ain't bad but it's not 120 HP. Bottom line, he's not running 12s but the WS6 probably is.

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
The WS6 spanks the 300ZXTT and the main reason will be traction. Unless he got mad work done to his suspension (which I seriously doubt) you had better hope that when he launches, he don't lose the @ss end of his car and smack you. I like the 300's and I like the WS6 and this is a clear and decisive spanky-spank in my book.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i dunno it will be a close match he has 300 hp http://www.edmunds.com/used/1996/nissan/300zx/2drturbohatchback/specs.html?id=lin0066 and that is stock and u have 310 stock http://www.edmunds.com/used/2002/pontiac/firebird/2drtransamhatchback/specs.html?id=lin0066 . Is your car auto or stick and is his car auto or stick? and if he has a chip upgrade and the downpipe help alot it may not be 120 hp but its damn close the chip tells the turbo what to do to make it soin faster or whatever but anyway if you were both stock u would beat him if u both had the same transmission like i both had auto u would win but if he had a stick and u had an auto it would be close but he would beat you. but yeah give it a shot

·
Registered
171 Posts
You'll beat him. I have a 300ZX TT in my club with intake. He is fast but with the dyno specs in your sig I'm sure you'll win. BTW F-Body power.

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
Racehead said:
I'm almost afraid to even ask this question. There seems to be alot of domestic bashing going on :) .

Anyway much respect to all and I appreciate any info ..... who do you think will win in a drag race ?
Your car is capable of low 12's with slicks and an easy low/mid 13 any time of the day with street tires.

A Z with a JWT Stg III with street tires is a high to mid 13 second car that is a lot more tricky to drive. It's hard to get a z to launch right.

You should be able to win, just get a better start.

Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Lot of n00bs in this forum, I'm one of them but.....

Chip in a 300zx tt at most 100hp extra and that's rated not wheel (Jim wolf's is rated 96hp to be exacted). Any more than that he is running danger boost levels with stock intercoolers and stock fuel injectors.

I think this would come down to driver and I would be more biased to the 300zx if it had wide tires like them F-bodies. WS6 definately for 60 foot times.

Stock 300's have gotten 13.9's
Stock WS6's low 13's

Like I said DRIVER and TIRES

Take it to the track and post the results. If you don't post I'll asume you lost.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Either:

1. he didnt know what he was talking about
2. He has a seceret up his sleeve and if you lose you know its more then a chip and downpipe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts