Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The intake timing gear the exact same part, as the exhaust timing gear?
The reason I ask this is: I'm currently considering changing my timing chains, gears, tensioners and guides. with all new. (172,0000 on motor, and rumbling sound in timing area)
Rock auto has a good price on complete kit, but does'nt include one of the cam gears according to pics/discription (Must have to purchase it separately)
I'm going to replace top tensioner 1st and visually inspect for wear on what I can see at that time. If things look worn enough I may as well replace it all.
Any other good sources for parts would be welcome also.........Thanks

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,241 Posts
you don't say what yr?
if you have a B14 then The VTC is built into the intake cam and is expensive, are the gears really not usable ?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a 1994 sentra le

I have not looked under the covers yet to determine the wear.
The other option if the gears are good, would possibly be to replace the chains, guides and tensioners. Is this a good fix?

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Other here have reported the main wear item appears to be the top chain guides and tensioner.
then the lowers.
at $400 ++ for the intake cam sprocket I am sure not many have replaced this.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is expensive, might just as well buy a used engine

I'd like to think with out checking, that the top tensioner and guides are most likely 1st candidates for R&R, then I'll go from there. I know the bottom end is quite a bit more involved in time and removal of parts, not to mention limited access if you don't take the engine out.
I've taken pretty good care of my engine, with good synthetic oil changes and not beating it, but know its time for the uppers to be checked out.
Is it wise to also consider installing new chains on used original gears, or am I better to stay with guides and tensioners only. That is provided the original chains and gears have normal acceptable wear?
( Have read in other posts that chains will last the life of the car, but do stretch over time )
I appreciate your imput on this Ian, and thankful for any other perspectives that are offered.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Although your mileage is high, it not as high as some on here.
It seems like under 200k just the uppers and it will be ok. ( from 125K up )
Some have gone all the way and replaced everything but more as a precaution.

some of the engines start to have real problems when the cam gears jump around 225K, but i am guessing this is on the original parts.
I did start a survey on this, will see if i can find....

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I'm well enough, I'll add my findings to the survey and comments

As soon as I heal enough from my broken ankle and am able, I'll open the top end up to perform a visual and post/answer survey with comments on what I'll need/do to add info.
Other qeastion is: Is it, or would it be a wise choice to replace the chains but use the original gears if they look normal (wear) along with guides and tensioners?
Or am I just better to stay with original chains and gears?
Just want to improve as much as possible.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
On the chain cam drive engines i have worked on the chain wear is worse than the sprocket wear. Lift the chain when its on the sprocket, largest sprocket its the most sensitive,you will see its lose !!
It shouldn't be lose, but tight. That's the chain wear.
So I have changed just the chain
except on Chevy V8's where the sprocket gears were nylon !! Go figure, designed to fail !!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts