Nissan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Much thanks for looking at my thread-I am at a loss what to do-

We have owned this 200sx for a few years now, I was able to repair the front seal with your help. This has made the car totally diferent :)

We had an alternator fail, I replaced it no problem at all.

However-it has had a persistent belt squeal problem, I tighten the idler, it goes away-
I replaced the idler, tightened and it went away, it came back, I assumed I didn't get it tight enough as it felt loose, it went away-

well, it came back again so I looked closer, and found someone has been in here before me-broke the upper alternator bracket bolt off and wedged it behind the upper radiator hose fitting to hold it tight-
I know I did not do this when I replaced the alternator-as I don't even remember hitting that bolt at all-

So, as the belt is tightened the bracket is bending over-
It lasted quite a good while --kind of, but I need to fix it. I am worried -
How in the heck am I going to get it out-it is broken below the head surface. I may try drilling into the center the best I can and try to helicoil it-but was wondering if anyone knew how much room for error I have in this area. OH man I am screwed--

I'll try to left hand the bolt out the best I can, but honestly getting a broken steel bolt out of an aluminum head has never been a strong point of mine-

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found a scrap of 3/16" metal with a slot cut into it-
I trimmed it and welded it to the alternator bracket-then removed the farthest left header nut-slid the bracket over and torqued her down-
the alternator lines up perfectly, and , I can forget about the broken bolt-

Huh? do I hear " nice save" ?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts