Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. Well, LSB (Little Silver Bus) 2.0 is proving to be entertaining.... I got so paranoid about noises with Version 1.0 that my hubby says my hearing is just too sensitive, haha! I took it in for an oil change and service two days ago, and also got them to install my DRL module. Everything checked out good, except my horns are failing (never had that problem before, but they really do sound sickly!) and they confirmed that the block heater will have to be replaced (this was mentioned in the seller's inspection). I am sure this is coincidental, but when I got home, I happened to notice, when in drive and my foot is on the brake, a faint low moaning/whirring sound that seems to come from the rear. Not in park, or reverse, just drive. I had hubby sit in it and do it, as he is deaf so of no use in noise diagnoses, but I couldn't really pinpoint anything. Another thing, perhaps related, is that very periodically, at highway speed, the engine (or maybe it is connected to the engine!) sounds very loud. I have actually been quite worried while it was happening, but it doesn't seem to last very long. It happened today, so maybe it has occurred about half a dozen times. I will be going back for the horn repair soon, but wanted to get youse guys' opinions on my latest paranoia. :unsure: :geek:

·
Registered
291 Posts
I replaced the horn on my X-Trail a week after I got it. I hate little beep, beep scooter horns. I put in dual red Fiamm horns. Loud, cheap and simple to install.
As for the noise, perhaps a loose exhaust clamp causing a sporadic leak at a joint.

Reactions: molly

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, will any of these horns on Amazon work? I guess if they are the same amps, they don't need the relay installed? I am trying to listen to some, and then choose. Amazon Prime is better than Rockauto for this, just in case I need to return them. And look to be cheaper, too.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Fiamm El Grande These are them, $30. I didn't use the relay.
Seem like a good price and the sound apparently like a mid '70s American car horn.. ....I had wanted to replace my Xtrail horn too . I mean it works as intended ( meek, non-offensive Japanese).

But i'm sorta on the fence on whether any point changing them out for louder, deeper horn. I've driven a lot of other vehicles with deeper sounding horns ( Caravan, chevy/ford/dodge pickups) and i notice it makes no safety difference with the drivers in Vancouver. They still sail thru a red light and then give you the finger if you honk at them :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
So, will any of these horns on Amazon work? I guess if they are the same amps, they don't need the relay installed? I am trying to listen to some, and then choose. Amazon Prime is better than Rockauto for this, just in case I need to return them. And look to be cheaper, too.
Shipping costs from rockauto have gotten ridiculous probably thanks to Trump messing up their postal system. This combined with the terrible exchange rate has made Canadian options competitive. A horn of similar amperage is plug and play, very simple.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Seem like a good price and the sound apparently like a mid '70s American car horn.. ....I had wanted to replace my Xtrail horn too . I mean it works as intended ( meek, non-offensive Japanese).

But i'm sorta on the fence on whether any point changing them out for louder, deeper horn. I've driven a lot of other vehicles with deeper sounding horns ( Caravan, chevy/ford/dodge pickups) and i notice it makes no safety difference with the drivers in Vancouver. They still sail thru a red light and then give you the finger if you honk at them :)
I have a Wolo Bad Boy air horn on my Moto Guzzi. That gets people's attention believe me. They think they're about to be hit by a freight train!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think they'll work just fine.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I now have some loud new horns on my little bus!! :sneaky: As for the odd noise I mentioned, the mechanic checked everything out, and all he found was the power transfer unit or whatever was a bit low on fluid so he added some, and then he greased the bushings on the exhaust, but it is still there. So, he assured me that the bus is good to go, just one of those things.... I think I'll get my next service done at Nissan as they have a good price for it, and ask them what they think.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Did you go with the Hella horns?

·
Registered
291 Posts
That'll get the pronghorns and the blacktails out of the way!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Whitetails are a total menace around here, vermin actually. I don't like to drive at night because of them and I never ride my motorcycle at night.
I was sure when I drove down through Pincher Creek to ski at Castle Mountain (Westcastle back then) That I saw herds of pronghorns. My mind must be hazed by the dusts of time.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Whitetails are a total menace around here, vermin actually. I don't like to drive at night because of them and I never ride my motorcycle at night.
I was sure when I drove down through Pincher Creek to ski at Castle Mountain (Westcastle back then) That I saw herds of pronghorns. My mind must be hazed by the dusts of time.
Pronghorns are way in the SE of Alberta. I have never seen any! I hear they are quite tasty as long as they haven't eaten too much sage... Hey, we need a food thread! :geek:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
UPDATE: So, I was waiting on hubby yesterday, and as it was warm, I fiddled with the auto climate control knobs. If I turn the knob to the right from off to auto, the fan speed jumps to a super high level, and actually sounds like a roar from the engine. That would match the odd roar I get periodically while driving, I am surmising. As soon as I switch past auto, the fan speed slows right down and is adjustable. Now, this morning, it all sounds fine. Maybe if it is warmer the fan gets super loud? The other oddball sound still occurs all the time, kind of a cross between a whir and a low pitched wind instrument! I am a bit miffed that the mechanics I took it to last week, while they heard it and also thought it was from the rear, they ended up charging me 3/4 of an hour to top up some PTU fluid and grease some bushings and the sound was still there. Yesterday, I thought the two sounds were linked, but today they do not appear to be. So much for that theory.

I was thinking I'd call the service guy at Nissan in Lethbridge as he likes me and I think he will be happy to advise me over the phone as much as possible. That constant noise just became noticeable after my last service ( a coincidence, I am sure, haha). The loud roar has happened before this came along, though. This may be nothing to worry about; my first Ex had a manual system. But maybe the resistor is going, or worse?? :unsure:

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you want a really quiet car get a BMW 535i GT like my wife has. It's silent. It's the nicest car in every way that I've ever been in. You can get them now for around $15,000.;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts