Nissan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a 2003 x trail 5 months ago, considering that the car is 5 years old it only have 30,000 km. on the clock that one of the main reason i bought it besides the engine looks really fresh. The previous owner told me that he rarely uses the car hence the low figure.
my question is.. is there a way you think that he could have manipulated the odometer? one guy told me a story when he had leased a nissan tiida car and when he brought it to the mechanic for some work, they accidentally re-set the odometer making it zero km.
any comment?

·
Registered
136 Posts
i just bought a 2003 x trail 5 months ago, considering that the car is 5 years old it only have 30,000 km. on the clock that one of the main reason i bought it besides the engine looks really fresh. The previous owner told me that he rarely uses the car hence the low figure.
my question is.. is there a way you think that he could have manipulated the odometer? one guy told me a story when he had leased a nissan tiida car and when he brought it to the mechanic for some work, they accidentally re-set the odometer making it zero km.
any comment?
I don't know if you're from Canada or not, but here are a couple of things that you have should have done/known before you bought the vechicle

1. a brand new odo chip costs less than $50CAD for parts and labor to be installed into any vechicles and it's only a 45min operation.

2. 30k in 5 years is absolutely nonsense unless carproof/maintaince records can verify that. You've to remeber this rule of thumb when buying used cars, anything the seller tells u about the past history of the vechicle is complete BS unless he has carproof and/or receipts to back it up. Any engine bay could look like new. It's a $70CAD cleaning process and it could easily be done any detailing store.

3. there are no "accidents" in resetting odo, only frauds and scammers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
damn... thanks ice. btw i'm from qatar, here in the middle east.
follow up question: will nissan replace the odo chip upon request? or all car brands in that manner?

·
Registered
136 Posts
damn... thanks ice. btw i'm from qatar, here in the middle east.
follow up question: will nissan replace the odo chip upon request? or all car brands in that manner?
It's not Nissan who does this, but rather local garages,body shops, collision centers that does this....its basically free/easy money, just like dealing drugs.

·
X-Trail Moderator
902 Posts
Tip of the day...

Have a look at the rubber on the gas pedal.
If it looks worn then likely the car has more than its share of KM.
:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys. i appreciate the replies. anyways, all in all the car still looks and feel ok. i am satisfied with the performance. its not a perfect car, like all cars do but i know my xty is a keeper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.