Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a 2003 x trail 5 months ago, considering that the car is 5 years old it only have 30,000 km. on the clock that one of the main reason i bought it besides the engine looks really fresh. The previous owner told me that he rarely uses the car hence the low figure.
my question is.. is there a way you think that he could have manipulated the odometer? one guy told me a story when he had leased a nissan tiida car and when he brought it to the mechanic for some work, they accidentally re-set the odometer making it zero km.
any comment?

·
Registered
136 Posts
i just bought a 2003 x trail 5 months ago, considering that the car is 5 years old it only have 30,000 km. on the clock that one of the main reason i bought it besides the engine looks really fresh. The previous owner told me that he rarely uses the car hence the low figure.
my question is.. is there a way you think that he could have manipulated the odometer? one guy told me a story when he had leased a nissan tiida car and when he brought it to the mechanic for some work, they accidentally re-set the odometer making it zero km.
any comment?
I don't know if you're from Canada or not, but here are a couple of things that you have should have done/known before you bought the vechicle

1. a brand new odo chip costs less than $50CAD for parts and labor to be installed into any vechicles and it's only a 45min operation.

2. 30k in 5 years is absolutely nonsense unless carproof/maintaince records can verify that. You've to remeber this rule of thumb when buying used cars, anything the seller tells u about the past history of the vechicle is complete BS unless he has carproof and/or receipts to back it up. Any engine bay could look like new. It's a $70CAD cleaning process and it could easily be done any detailing store.

3. there are no "accidents" in resetting odo, only frauds and scammers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
damn... thanks ice. btw i'm from qatar, here in the middle east.
follow up question: will nissan replace the odo chip upon request? or all car brands in that manner?

·
X-Trail Moderator
902 Posts
Tip of the day...

Have a look at the rubber on the gas pedal.
If it looks worn then likely the car has more than its share of KM.
:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys. i appreciate the replies. anyways, all in all the car still looks and feel ok. i am satisfied with the performance. its not a perfect car, like all cars do but i know my xty is a keeper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts