Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone around the city looking for a good shop to replace my timing belt, I was quoted at the nissan dealer of around 340.00. I thought it was kind of high

·
Registered
146 Posts
davido said:
anyone around the city looking for a good shop to replace my timing belt, I was quoted at the nissan dealer of around 340.00. I thought it was kind of high
Are you sure your car has a timing belt??

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
too bad your car has a timing chain and not a belt buddy....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
re

i figured it had a belt, when I went into the service area i said belt and he didn't correct me. oh well. so is 340 ok for doing the chain.

·
Registered
146 Posts
NORMAN? ive been ther im going to SEMINOLE its like 30 min away to see my buddy in may.... i live in SO CAL... OK isnt all that bad i liked it i wish i could drive up ther to meet with any b14's out ther

·
Will work for beer
2,696 Posts
which car are you talking about?

the only service manual I have for the Quest is from a '96, and it's still using the VG30E engine- which does have a timing belt.

I'm not sure on the '98 though.

·
absolutely classic
455 Posts
davido said:
i figured it had a belt, when I went into the service area i said belt and he didn't correct me. oh well. so is 340 ok for doing the chain.
Nah, all of the Nissan four-bangers are chain's. The tech didn't know about that either apparently.

$340 for a timing chain replacement would be great, if you could find someone to do it for that. Most likely, your looking at 1000-1400 for this kind of job. It is very involved, 20 hours bill time, something like that. There is good news though. The chain is good for a really long time, it's the tensioners that go out after about 100k. The upper tensioner is easy to replace, the lower is a PITA. Search around, there's plenty of info on replacing the tensioners.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
re

yeah I went to a good mechanic and he said not to worry about the chain until it starts to rattle. my 85 720 had 200k before it started to make noise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts