Nissan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from what i've read here, this is supposed to be the easiest thing in the world to do... a free mod!! all you need is a timing light, 10 min of your time, and voila, free hp!

so i bought a timing light..... opened up my hood... but i have no clue what to look for... i know there should be some timing marks in the mess down there, but i just have no clue what to look for.

maybe if someone gets a chance, could you take a pic, draw a pic, or anything to show me exactly where these marks are?

so far, i've disconected the tps, reved past 3k 3 times, hooked up the timing light to the 1st plug wire, but now i'm stuck.

thanks everyone for not making fun of me :)
and thanks for the help.
scott

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
Well I know It doesnt help you right now, but I have been chatting with Scott(Sentra.net owner) and this is one of the things we are goin to address.

Now to help you out right now:

Ok look at your engine from the front of the car...
you see where all of your belts and pulleys are?...
One of those pulleys is hooked to your crank-shaft, this is the pulley with the timing marks on it. It is the biggest pulley and it is down really low.

Now Look at your coolant over flow tank, slide it out of its holder. After you do this you will have a clean shot at the crank pulley.

Aim your timing light at the pulley you should see 5(i think) marks on it. Read from the firewally forward they are -5, 0, +5, +10, +15, +20(degress of course) You will also notice a little pointer that is on the engine and over the pulley. For 15deg of advance you want to line that pointer up with the +15 mark

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.
i read what you said, ran outside with my light and tried it. guess all i needed was to move the coolant overflow out of the way, and i saw them very clear. thanks again guys for your help!!:D

·
Ive got a pickle 4 an arm
340 Posts
I"ve got four white lines and one group of 3 red lines and another red line behind it. i'm guessing the red lines are 0 deg for the group of 3. and -5 deg for the other red line?

·
Registered
500 Posts
My 0 degree mark is yellow. I don't know why. No matter the colors though, the leftmost tick mark (towards firewall) is -5 degrees, and they go in +5 degree increments from there. +20 is the rightmost mark (towards radiator). For +15 you'll want it on the second to last mark on the right. Remember to disconnect the Throttle Position Sensor before you adjust it or it won't work. It's the front orange plug to the right of the throttle body (there are two orange plugs on it). I know that sounds obvious but some people forget to do that and they get pissed off when it doesn't work. It's not an uncommon mistake.

·
340 Posts
oh really?!? See i wasn't aware of that and i advanced it anyway. i did feel a small difference, not exactly from standing still, but "passing power" where the car was more eager to speed up when already at speed.

my car is an automatic, so i was wondering if results differ due to this.

so if i reset the timing back, then unpluged that wire and set it again, i should get even more response???

·
Registered
500 Posts
Mine's an automatic. It does pull a little harder when I downshift and pass people and is a little torquier on standing starts but not by much since it's like a 5 hp mod, but my butt-dyno feels a it a little bit so I'm happy.

I'm a poor college boy and my 20th birthday is August 5. If you want to paypal me some money I'll be happy. :p I'm going to call up my mom and hit her up for money for the HS CAI for my birthday.

·
340 Posts
Underdog, sorry but that won't work on me. i'm in the same boat.
i'll be 21 at the end of the month. and i'm a bit jealous of you, i stopped getting b-day money at 18. not to mention i have 0 support for playing with my car. i keep getting the wonderful "thats car's not worth putting money into. its not gonna last much longer, you should save your money so you can buy a good new one." It's quite an insult. saying my car won't last. it only has 140k on it.

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
ScarCrow28 said:
Underdog, sorry but that won't work on me. i'm in the same boat.
i'll be 21 at the end of the month. and i'm a bit jealous of you, i stopped getting b-day money at 18. not to mention i have 0 support for playing with my car. i keep getting the wonderful "thats car's not worth putting money into. its not gonna last much longer, you should save your money so you can buy a good new one." It's quite an insult. saying my car won't last. it only has 140k on it.
I hear ya!! i get that shit all the time! but i finally got my dad to accept my views on it, he understands my obsession with the sleeper look, why would i want a mustang, when i can suprise the hell out of people with my 200sx? thats me, no stickers, no body kit, and sure as shit no blue washer nozzles (its getting a little too played out here), just a stock looking car so they never see it coming!

·
340 Posts
Blue? jeeze if you had blue or red ones around here you'd be pulled over on sight. ESPECIALLY if you go out of the city werre the towns 5 cops have nothing better to do.

EDIT: well at least you have some support. i can just hear them complain if i ever got a mustang..."that car's too fast for you! your gonna get yourself into trouble.!"

·
Registered
500 Posts
This is a big treat since my parents don't pay for a damn thing I own. I just told my mom I wanted 200 bucks for my birthday and she reluctantly agreed. I didn't tell her what it was for, if she knew she'd shit a brick.

·
340 Posts
UnderDog said:
This is a big treat since my parents don't pay for a damn thing I own. I just told my mom I wanted 200 bucks for my birthday and she reluctantly agreed. I didn't tell her what it was for, if she knew she'd shit a brick.
well, at least you would free her of her constipation. lol

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
yeah i have a little support, going fast runs in the family, hell my dad just installed a NOS tm. kit in his 2002 pontiac grand am. He's using a 150hp shot!!! i still think he's going to blow it:eek: .
the only thing he gets pissed at me about (he's coming around on the whole import tuner thing) is a 5 year old debt ($550.00) and i just told him i ordered the stromung exaust ($573.00 total) he's just like "why the hell didn't you send that money to me". well he makes like $600.00 a day so i think he can wait.;)

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
ScarCrow28 said:
Blue? jeeze if you had blue or red ones around here you'd be pulled over on sight. ESPECIALLY if you go out of the city werre the towns 5 cops have nothing better to do.
oh i hear ya, back home in ohio they would have your ass! hell here (south dakota) i got pulled over for my system being too loud and they gave me a ticket, back home they give you a warning then yank your speakers and amps!! :mad:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts