Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, this forum has been really helpfull, and especially the write-up on this topic. Everything went well, but I notice when I first start it the chain rattles until oil pressure builds. I made sure my oil filter has a check valve, and all the parts where done right. I always assumed an oil pump either worked, or didn't. Is there any suggestions on what to try? The motor was built in mexico, or atleast this is what is says on the oil pump.

·
Hardbody Freak
2,675 Posts
the oil pump was made in mexico.

the oil pump can be bad and still work.

did you pry the guides toward the chain ..?

did u use oem t-chain set or after market..

the am t-c set has weak tensioners..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I changed everything, and it only ratlles for about 2 seconds until oil pressure builds.
I thought that fram makes the filter with a check valve, but I just found out they dont, and wik is a supplier that does. I went with the aftermarket setup. I'm guessing that the oil drains out of the filter, and causes the rattle, since it wont do it if I run it, and kill it, and restart, but if it sits for along period then it rattles.
Thanks for the help, and suggestions fellows!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the oil pump was made in mexico.

the oil pump can be bad and still work.

did you pry the guides toward the chain ..?

did u use oem t-chain set or after market..

the am t-c set has weak tensioners..
Not sure what you mean ? I installed them the way I took em off.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Fram Tough Guard has the check valve.

He's asking you if you got all the slack you could out of the chain and "pre tension" the tensioner.

One more thing, the oil passage behind the tensioner - Did you blow it out with brake cleaner then air? It's a tight oil passage. Any gunk in there inhibits the oil pressure activation of the tensioner.

If you're confident you did everything right, verify the oil pressure with a test kit. You may be able to get a loaner from AZ O'Reilly's. If it's a little on the low side, you oil pump may be showing age. Anything with mechanically moving parts (oil pump!!) wears out over time.

With the tensioner being new it shouldn't rattle. Every once in a while if it's been sitting for a week or more, mine will rattle for 1 to 1.5 seconds, but it has to sit for a while.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
there are 2 oilers (where the o-rings go) that might have been plugged (too much silicone, etc, like rbo suggested)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I installed a new oil pump, and added slick-50, and the damn thing still rattles on start up.I think I'm just gonna drive the thing until something breaks. I read somewhere that if your head has been resurfaced too much, this will cause alot of slack in the chain, but the head has never been off.
What stops the cam from rocking back in forth until the engine balances? I wonder if I have a cam bearing going out? Something still isn't right. This truck drives nice, except for the noises' it makes. Sometimes if I barely push the pedal in nuetral I can hear a rotating low grinding noise.
Any suggestions will sure help!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I don't know what you mean by "engine balances", but to the best of my knowledge - camshafts float from the front to the rear.

Forget slick 50, it's a last ditch effort to make a severely worn engine last a little longer.

Most likely the oil passages need to be cleaned and possibly get all the slack out you can. I have even heard of people rigging up dual springs for the tensioner. I know it's a tee total beech to do, but you might want to break it all back down if it bothers you that much.

If all is correct, it may not be timing chain rattle.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
When the lifters (rocker arms) start to go out, they will chatter until the oil pressure comes up. Unless one or more are totaly shot and wont pump up...
Just a thought......

·
Registered
41 Posts
curious why do you have to pry the guides if it has spring tension on it then oil pressure tension but i do agree about the oem parts hard to get better than oem but i understand there is usually a nice price difference also

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is what I'm leaning towards now. It's a different sounding rattle, and it does sound like it's coming from the topend.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts