Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okey, so I bought this beauty of a 97 HB. A few dings and dents here and there, some small unimportant bits missing, but I am the second owner of this truck with 146000 miles on it.

In the past with my 720's they always had a hard time maintaining speed on long hills, I thought from the NAPS-Z engines lack of power and the extra weight of them both being 4wd's.

Well, this 97 HB SINGLE CAB 2WD has just as hard of time maintaining speed on hills. 5th and 4th wont do it. It became clear quickly that the rear end ratio is highly inappropriate for this truck, the old Datsuns could barely muster 40mph in 3rd, this things good for 60!

Some things I notice though is the battery cables are heavily corroded, and the air filter is filthy. The ignition components also look way overdue for a tune up.

Opinions? 1st gear is too high to even effectively climb into my parents driveway, a steep dirt hill, the engine bogs and if it gets too low, bucks.

WHen my 2BBL L20B powered 510 can maintain 75 uphill with 70HP, it makes me concerned...

Or am I just being an ass???

·
Registered
96 Posts
you should just do a full tune-up.... especially the air filter. How would YOU do if I taped your mouth and 1 of your nostrils shut with duct tape and then asked you to run a mile?

You shouldn't have any problem getting up those hills.

Change the plugs, cap and rotor and air filter. Watch truck fly. : )

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so full tune up, as i suspected, as far as oil goes, how does that valvoline 75000+ mile synthetic oil stack up?

·
Registered
706 Posts
perform a tune up B4 you start complaining....if you're that worried perform a compression check , I would have done that b4 buying it....And just for the record my NAP-Z was always a beast. Hell i'd cruise across the Mississippi bridge in Baton Rouge in 5th gear maintaining 65+ up hill! Regarding oil any top brand will do I like Pennzoil it's always been good to me and my rides.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not complaining, simply concerned. Was your NAPS a Z24?

I was referring primarily to the Z22S/E engines. Both my trucks had it, and I even installed one on my 510 with 200SX EFI. It was a dead reliable and strong motor in a 2100# chassis, but wasnt particularly quick. Even less so in my 3300# 4wd chassis.

So, def not bashing the NAPS-Z, 60000 miles in 3 years in a 510 proved its worth to me lol =)

Already ordering the bits from Courtesy Nissans online parts page.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Yeah, It's a Napz-Z24i, Arp headstuds, High Volume 280zx turbo oil pump, oil cooler, H-D drive spindle, 3 angle valve job, ported, port matched, & shaved head, Pacesetter headers, Dual MSD oil filled coils, K&N air filter and CAI ram air setup.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Holy crap! @ Cmax03 Must be an awesome engine!

Anyway, HUGE SUCCESS! Turns out the wires on the poor thing are cooked, one broke off removing it, the plugs are autolite gapped at at least .060, yeah, BAD! The cap and rotor also appear to be usa made junk from your FLAPS.

This thing shall soon fly!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Holy crap! @ Cmax03 Must be an awesome engine!

Anyway, HUGE SUCCESS! Turns out the wires on the poor thing are cooked, one broke off removing it, the plugs are autolite gapped at at least .060, yeah, BAD! The cap and rotor also appear to be usa made junk from your FLAPS.

This thing shall soon fly!
Forgot the mention I'm running a Nissan Motorsport Stage 1 camshaft with an Nissan Motorsport adjustable camshaft sprocket set @ 3 degrees advance, this engine really pulls hard and is very peppy and the way to 6000 rpm. It fools quite alot of people, they always think it was a VG30 that ran away from them. My exhaust is 2.25", T-409 stainless steel, after the header, there's a 2.25",carsound Hi-flow cat, and a 7" x 14" round Magnaflow muffler. That stock exhaust is puny and hella restrictive.....I'm glade you found your problems, so hang on it's about to take off now.....:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 94 4cyl 4wd king cab that i aquired in August. I have also been surprised by the slowness. i changed the wires, plugs, dist cp, rotor, cleaned the k&n. Now it runs a little smoother, but really no more notable power. There are a lot of big hills here in WA and it takes a lot of downshifting to deal with them. It gets gets killed on the hwy when i hit the hills. I have to get into third in some cases if I want to keep it at 60. It really really works hard for as slow as it is.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wow, i hope mine does better than that, this is why i opted to not get a 4wd, HEAVY

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think you all must be smoking some fine mary jane... I have driven a 4wd KC 4 cylinder and it pretty much flys down the road. No, you aren't going to dust that POS Mustang.. but it moves just fine on its own merit.

What are you used to and what did you just get out of driving when you get into your Nissan?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A 40 year old 510 with a very tired 2bbl carbureted 26 year old L20B stuffed inside it?

Ehh, im not worried anymore, it will improve after i get done replacing a lot of things.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think you all must be smoking some fine mary jane... I have driven a 4wd KC 4 cylinder and it pretty much flys down the road. No, you aren't going to dust that POS Mustang.. but it moves just fine on its own merit.

What are you used to and what did you just get out of driving when you get into your Nissan?
Stock civics and a cr-v. The nissan is not half as slow as my vanagon camper, but it has a hell of a time on hills. It's not as if I am rolling backwards, but I downshift a lot more than i ever had in a civic. The engine seems to bog down easilly and I lose rpms until I downshift. The main issue is the steep or long hills and the mtns. It will get it done, but not without a ton of rowing and flooring it. By then, it has lost a lot of speed.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts