Nissan Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Too many Km's, too little protection...

Well, after 7 years in both our Sentra's have riddled with neglect after the warranty was up, going well beyond 10,000 km's(6860 miles) was common. I can say it didn't do the engine any good from the gummed up interior but with oil like AMSOIL I would trust going 6000 miles no problem. Most car manufactures recommend oil changes past 6000 miles on new cars and the GA16DE and SR20DE engines were made just as well as engines made today. I can't see replacing Redline, Royal Purple or AMSOIL at such low, 3000 mile, intervals mainly from the price and higher claimed protection. If you're using Mobil 1 then changing it often can be warranted as it's relatively inexpensive and can be found at most any Wal-Mart. 5000 miles would probably be the change point IMO if using Mobil 1. I guess it depends on the type and amount of driving you do, how much you're willing to spend and if you find your current maintenance schedule satisfactory.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I've been doing 5-6k mile oil changes on my car for the past 9 years now. I only use Mobil 1 10w30 and a nissan oil filter, and my car seems to be running better than ever. No oil burning or leaks, btw my car just turned 100k miles this past week... :)

·
Ive got a pickle 4 an arm
340 Posts
u say it's inexpensive, but i found that it was the most expensive oil at wally world.

which, off the record, wally world should be hit with a monoply lawsuit. now ames is dead, k-mark is struggeling, and Target, well they can hold their own for now.

i've got 144K with only dino oil. Right now Penzoil is inside. i usually put Havoline, but i just checked the stick and it looks cleaner then the hav when we drained it. another tho and well see if i'm goin to change up to penz.

other then my bad mpg, and loud injectors, the car runs fine

·
Registered
475 Posts
Agreed, Mobil 1 is the most expensive oil available at the local Wal-Marts in my area but for $26 CAN for 5L as the same price as 4L it's a good deal. I was comparing the price of Mobil to say AMSOIL but now that I look at it, AMSOIL is just as cheap, $5.85 per quart. I'm using 10w30 Motomaster dyno oil w/syntech(wearguard) from Canadian Tire in my car. Cost for 4L is $6.99 on sale, $7.99 regular I think.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Most Walmarts sell the 5 qt. jug of Mobil 1 for $17.99, that's pretty cheap compared to auto zone or advance auto they sell it for $4.69 a qt. So you do save a few bucks buying the 5 qt. jug at Walmart...

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Most Walmarts sell the 5 qt. jug of Mobil 1 for $17.99, that's pretty cheap compared to auto zone or advance auto they sell it for $4.69 a qt. So you do save a few bucks buying the 5 qt. jug at Walmart...
That's exactly what I was going to say. I run synthetic in both my cars and I buy the 5 qt. jugs at Wal-Mart. It's the cheapest I've ever seen full-synthetic and I shop around for everything I buy. We've had this discussion once already and full-synthetic costs me 4 times as much, and that amounts to a whopping $36 a year that I wouldn't spend if I were using mineral. $3 a month. As far as gear oil goes, I've heard that Motul makes good stuff, as well as Redline. I plan to run Motul 300 gear oil and to run their RBF 600 brake fluid as well.

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
Wal Mart rules! I don't know why anybody would not use Mobil1 when it only cost $17.88/5 quarts.

·
I command you to SEARCH
2,748 Posts
If you plan on switching to AMSOIL, they recomend ueing their Engine Flush first.
I will also say that AMSOIL is the best on the market.

·
Registered
475 Posts
True 1CLNB14, it is a good idea. The theory behind it is to remove any contaminants from other oils, addatives, carbon deposits or sludge from the engine first so AMSOIL works at "peak performance."
Although it sounds like a marketing ploy it makes sense. An engine should be flushed once a year anyway. The trottle body should also be cleaned out on a yearly basis.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts