Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Synthetic oil is coming up in the ranks..but ive heard that Mobil 1 Synthetic is the best...what do you think?

·
Registered
500 Posts
That's what everybody I know says. I figure if Mobil 1 is good enough for Euro sports car manufacturers like Ferrari to put in their engines from the factory, it's good enough for my Nissan.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mobil Oil

Yes Yes i've also heard that mobil 1 is the best thats all i use, with the k&n oil filter. Works great. Peace out.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Mobil 1 and a genuine Nissan oil filter.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oil

The absolute best synthetic on the Market, even better then Mobil is AMSOIL. It was the very first company to produce synthetic and almost all NASCAR drivers, even when sponsered by whoever ran some form of AMSOIL in there car. Whether it be gear lube or differentail fluid. I am an AMSOIL dealer so if anybody want's some it's deffinatly worth the buy. It also has filters that surpass anything on the market. Check it out at www.amsoil.com

·
Registered
170 Posts
Re: Oil

Smokeurhonda said:
The absolute best synthetic on the Market, even better then Mobil is AMSOIL. It was the very first company to produce synthetic and almost all NASCAR drivers, even when sponsered by whoever ran some form of AMSOIL in there car. Whether it be gear lube or differentail fluid. I am an AMSOIL dealer so if anybody want's some it's deffinatly worth the buy. It also has filters that surpass anything on the market. Check it out at www.amsoil.com
Got any free samples??? :)

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
Mobil 1 an OEM filter used here.

Not to knock Amsoil( I have no personal experience about with it), but I have heard from lots of techs that Mobil 1 is better, on the other hand my service manager uses it in his late- model race car. Take it for what its worth.

As for filters, I am intruged with these:
http://www.cmfilters.com/spin-on.cfm
I have heard nothing but good about them.

·
Registered
638 Posts
99K miles and still running strong! I've been using Mobil 1 for the past 9 years now and i'm very happy with it. My motor runs clean and smooth, still gets great mileage about 35 mpg highway and doesn't burn a drop of oil. Sure Amsoil may be better, but you can't find it at Walmart,Autozone, Advance Auto etc. on the shelf like Mobil 1. I'm a big Mobil fanatic, i use Mobil 1 oil, Mobil 1 ATF, and Mobil gas all with great results. Mobil 1 for life. BTW Mobil 1 cost more than Dino oil sure, but always remember it's not how many miles per gallon but how many miles per engine that really counts in the end. OK i'm done rambling LOL... :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
not to knock synthetic or anything, b/c im sure it does have much better properties than dino oil (no need to defend it, i already know) but i think 99k+ miles and still running strong is more of a testiment to nissan than mobil 1. my b12 w/ the e16i had about 130k on it, and it ran strong. while it didnt get the great 30mpg like i would like i also didnt change the sparkplugs regularly, or the wires and things like that. just my 2cents. i run dino cuz its cheap, and i wouldnt run synth unless i ran it from 0 miles like that. i dont wanna be burnin oil cuz i dissolved the natural gaskets and whatnot.

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
From what I have learned and heard in the automotive industry, if you have problems after switching to synthetic its not the oils fault. You had the problem before and because you were using dino oil it did not show up.

We have all heard the line "Synthetic oil made my car leak" BS, you had the leak before it was just sludged up. When you switched to synthetic it cleaned your motor and that sludge. Thats how I feel about it anyway. ;)

·
Registered
393 Posts
you are completely correct. but im not armed w/ the knowledge nor the tools to rebuild a motor. especially just to run synthetic. which is why i said i wouldnt run synth unless i was gonna put it in from the first mile it ever saw. my motor has 80k+ miles on it, while this is not an extreme amount of miles, i am not the original driver, so i dont know what condition the motor is in. while it does not burn any oil, runs smooth and drives hard, i dont wanna screw up a good thing.

·
Destroyer of Engines
561 Posts
99K miles and still running strong! I've been using Mobil 1 for the past 9 years now and i'm very happy with it.
but i think 99k+ miles and still running strong is more of a testiment to nissan than mobil 1.
I had an old volvo '85 740 that I treated very poorly, I just changed the oil whenever I felt like it, never used synthetic. That car had 255K miles on it when I gave it up. The only reason I gave it up was the clutch went out. The engine still ran strong and never burnt oil.

My point is, an engine that runs good with 99K miles is very common, synthetic or not. That said I've been treating my sentra very well using Mobil 1 for around 10K miles and I love it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
PatScottAKA99XE said:
We have all heard the line "Synthetic oil made my car leak" BS, you had the leak before it was just sludged up. When you switched to synthetic it cleaned your motor and that sludge. Thats how I feel about it anyway. ;)
That's another reason why you shouldn't switch to synthetic when you have high miles :eek:.

·
Ive got a pickle 4 an arm
340 Posts
Try 143k one my '93 with no engine leak. in fact the tranny has a slow drop leak (used to be worse but it aparently clogged itself up) i have had mileage problems but i've managed to message it up to 32-33mpg mostly high way. For now thats satisfactory. the next step would to replace the injectors, but i don't want to deal with it at the moment. also might need that timming chain guide kit, but also too much money or work to fix right now. oh, buy the way, all Dino oil since the beginning. i sorta know the previous owner, who also drove all highway, so i know what kind of miles are on the car.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Samples

Sorry... no free samples. But if you guys every want to get some I'll hook ya up.

·
Registered
475 Posts
What you said PatScottAKA99XE is correct and I've been telling people the same thing for months after doing a lot of reading on engine oil, mainly synthetic vs. crude/petroleum oil.
V i V i D 200sx and Sherb both make good points on the potential problems that may arise if switching to synthetic oil. This is something I always warm people that are considering the switch, that the engine may leak afterward as conditioners in synthetic oil clean the engine and remove deposites from worn seals or gaskets. Then again, you may not experience any problems.
Also, if you are one that gets an annual engine flush at your local Costco, Wal-Mart or home garage and haven't experienced any problems, then synthetic oil would probably be fine.

As to what synthetic oil is the best, I would say AMSOIL hands down. Other's claim Redline or Royal Purple is the clear leader while some swear by Mobil 1...at this point, it probably has to do with cost or availability. I will be making the switch to synthetic the spring (I want to have a trouble free car for the winter). Hopefully I won't have any leaks afterward as all the engine seals were replaced before the 5 year powertrain warranty was up. I bought Mobil 1 Tri-syn 10w-30 5L (recommended for higher mileage engines...116,xxx miles on my Sentra) at Wal-Mart for $25 which cost the same as the 4L.
At my next oil change I would like to use AMSOIL and will probably become a dealer in my area.

For those of you still skeptical about AMSOIL, here is a review and benchmark comparing the top of the line oil brands:

http://www.1st-in-synthetics.com/dyno_test.htm

The "more information" and "AMSOIL vs. Redline" link at the bottom of the page is worth a read.

AMSOIL vs. Mobil 1

For a good resource on AMSOIL, click here and here.

I'm sure if you search google.com you can find a lot more information.

·
Registered
138 Posts
at 100k miles i switched to castrol synthetic and my car is still running like it did at 25k mile. the gears are still so smooth it not even funny. the only drawback is that synthetic is a little expensive, but who cares as longs as i keeps your car running like new.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I forgot to mention as well...in general, the amount of money spent oil changes during the life time of a car, from an article I read, is around 0.5% . I agree that is a bit low but it's striking even at 1%. Take a $15,000 car for example over a 5 year lease period; the cost of repairs, regular maintenance, washer fluid and gas is around $25,000+; 1% of that total cost is only $250. That's very cheap especially for regular 10w30 crude oil ($7) and Fram filter from Wal-Mart ($4)...if you do it yourself, you have an $11 oil change...pretty good deal I think. So, over 5 years at $11 each, 4 times a year you're only paying $220.
If you look at it from that perspective, switching to synthetic is not really that much more expensive, although it cost more to buy initially, considering you can go longer intervals between oil changes. AMSOIL even claims you don't need to change their oil until 25,000-miles or one-year intervals, whichever comes first. Personally, I would change it at 10,000 miles or higher...every 6 months seems more suitable.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts