Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 Sentra with the 1.6, and I think my oil filter stud is cross threaded. It has always been a pain to install a new filter, and the first time I double and triple checked the part number and it was a match. I ordered the "Oil Filter Stud" part#: 15213-01m02. Similar applications I have seen a stud with a hex nut in the middle, a allen bolt pattern inside, or slots for a wide screw driver to attach it to the engine block, but this is just a simple hollow threaded tube.

How in the devil do you install it? I have been through the FSM with no luck, and I would like to know what I am getting myself into before I get the car up on stands.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,236 Posts
the standard way to remove studs is with two nuts, jamb them together, and unscrew from the bottom one.

Since you dont have two nuts, and this will be very tight, you will have to improvise.

Ideas.
1) drill a hole say 5/16, through the wall in two places so you can insert a 1/4 or 5/16 rod.

2) Anyone else ???

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Check FSM ?

·
Registered
215 Posts
i work at nissan and i checked the part number for all 95-99 us, japanese, and mexican sentras and its all the same. i havent worked on that type of sentra before but if you have enough room you may be able to get a good set of locking pliers. by the way what is the brand and part number to the oil filter you are using

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Is this the same part number for the SR20 ?

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
I assume you have to use locktight or a sealer when re-installing ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Before you totally ruin the threads it might be wise to get a nut or two to do as Ianh suggested. Even just one with some threadlocker on it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Is this the same part number for the SR20 ?
its the same for all b14's and other cars as well

Before you totally ruin the threads it might be wise to get a nut or two to do as Ianh suggested. Even just one with some threadlocker on it.
i agree.

if you need instructions then pm me your email and i will look for it in the service manual and email it to you

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
I looked and couldn't find instructions in the service manual, if you can find it please post (and add section and page, yr of FSM)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As I said in the original post, I have been through the FSM pdfs over and over and they seem to not mention the process anywhere. I will start looking around for a couple nuts, but it might be difficult to track down metric nuts of this size in my area...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts